#BringBackTheBarn

I Just Found Out About The Old Barn. The Barn That Was Supposed To Be The VAB... I Am Bringing Back A Pointless Hashtag About The Barn. Honestly The Barn, Observatory, And Trailers That Made The Research Center And More Looked Better For First Upgrade. They Looked Amazing! Maybe The One Reddit User That Made Us Without The Barn Ruined Everything...

@Julian. is new to posting here, so take it easy on the newb. This subject tends to get ugly in a hurry. I am in the minority and agree I would like to see the barn. It would make Bargain Rocket Parts Recycled mod an even cooler way to start. It is never going to happen but I would find it fun.

7 minutes ago, Alshain said:

You know, at the very least they could release it as a mod or just release the assets like they did with the Porkjet parts.

Wouldn't they first have to make buildings community modable? If the barn is ever made available, it might show up as an expansion pack. A couple different options would allow diversity and bring peace to the Kerbal Universe (it could happen :wink:)

It's the first time I've seen all the assets, didn't realise there was a whole set,  I certainly plant it all somewhere if it was available, and contrary to things i've read about it, It looks good.  Though i can appreciate why some find the idea of building rockets in a barn all a bit silly :)  Squad Mod 2,  The Barn ???

#No.JustNo.

#StuffTheBarnWhereTheSunDon'tShine.

#The_barn_was_a_stupid_idea,_and_I'm_not_talking_about_the_artwork,_I'm talking_about_the_whole_concept.

#Kerbals can launch a manned capsule into orbit as soon as the game begins, so why should we even want to continue the whole "lol, kerbals is dumb and make things blow up real purdy, hur hur hur" craptastic aesthetic that's been driven into the ground long after it's ceased to have any humor value.

Barns simply have no place in KSP right now*.

This is a Mercury capsule production facility:

WMBGypo.jpg

Note the cleanroom suits and complete lack of barn-like surroundings:

3hFuNKi.jpg

* Yes.  I've seen the pictures of Goddard and von Braun, with their primitive facilities.  The barn would be appropriate, if, and only if, we started with small, suborbital sounding rockets.  When you start the game with the equivalent of a Mercury or Vostok capsule, the barn is well out of date and should never be seen.

Since this old, long dead argument appears to have been reanimated, I'll add my voice to the "Hell no" crowd.
I like the idea of more tiers to the facility upgrades, but the barn was just horrid.

Add sloppy, amateurish models and texturing to a generally repulsive "Lolz kerbals make rockets from trash" aesthetic, and you have the abomination that was the barn "preview".

I really don't like the "found lying by the side of the road" aesthetic at all, the part descriptions are bad enough without having it fullscreen as soon as you start the game.
It's infantile, unnecessary, and unrealistic. One simply does not build manned spacecraft in a barn, surrounded by garbage and rusting car bodies. It's neither cute nor funny, it's trashy.

If the execution had some polish and was integrated into the game progression properly, perhaps the barn could have been redeemed. Maybe. But the final nail in the coffin was that it also looked butt-ugly from any angle.

Edited by steve_v

Ahh, this old chestnut again. Count me in on the pro-Barn team. Or at least on the Tier 0 Humble Origins Building team.

Incidentally, I found these interesting photos of the Vostok assembly facilities. That first picture could have been the model for the KSP VAB interior. And note the conspicuous lack of clean room bunny suits anywhere.

http://www.drewexmachina.com/2015/04/12/vostoks-legacy/

More pictures:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/spacecraft_manned_first.html

http://pages.erau.edu/~ericksol/courses/sp425/s2003/vostok.html

OK Vostok wasn't literally built in a barn but to me, those photos are at least reminiscent of the Goddard facilities that somebody else referred to.

Who spends a lot of game time staring at the KSC buildings anyway? And as the first tier, they would all have been replaced as soon as possible on top of that. I suspect that if they had just put those buildings in without showing them ahead of time, no one would have cared and this controversy would never have arisen in the first place.

16 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Who spends a lot of game time staring at the KSC buildings anyway? And as the first tier, they would all have been replaced as soon as possible on top of that. I suspect that if they had just put those buildings in without showing them ahead of time, no one would have cared and this controversy would never have arisen in the first place.

Oh, but @Vanamonde, you know too well how us forum members are. We'd have found something else to complain about... :D

29 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I don't know.... I could use it as a writing prop, sure... but there are a lot of other things I prefer to see added into the game first.  

Yes, there are other things for sure that I would like to see too, but what I gathered from this is the models and assets were complete, and probably wouldn't take much effort away from new projects to implement them again. 

I've always loved the concept of the barn. Maybe if the renderings had been teased at a finer level of development everyone would have loved it, who could know. I've managed to look back on all this though with more sympathy to the reenactor crowd. A conceptual, story-based concept is really great, but its probably still important not to preclude a historicist player's roleplaying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.