6000M Barrier

Reahreic

It may be your rocket has too much thrust and is pressuring the parts.. Try throttling down, and keeping your G's under 2-3 :)

(Also in 0.16, there is a fuel glitch where the lower the engine is running, the longer the fuel lasts)

To clarify, you get magic efficiency when you throttle down. Obviously, it's supposed to drain less fuel with the throttle lower, but it currently doesn't drain enough at low settings.

Odd, there shouldn't be anything special about 6 km. A very long time ago, there were issues with some rockets reaching 5 km due to the floating origin system, but that should be fixed. Would you be willing to post your rockets?
It's floating origin bug again. Vessels experience heavy hits passing each 6 Km, and large ones can even break apart! I've reported this issue on 0.16 experimental releases, so developers are aware.

Here's an example of craft that's affected (and may even loose a wing):

attachment.php?attachmentid=31088

UPD. BTW an orbiting heavy rocket (a couple of large fuel tanks would be "heavy enough") passes 6 Km each 3 seconds... and, yes, the kicks are noticeable indeed.

Edited by Tosh

I had the same ship-breaking problem during sharp jumps in G forces. Throttling down and using struts as cross braces from one stage to another solved that issue.

Also, I solved unwanted rotation problems with horizontal struts connecting the bottom of engines to each other. You can't just let big stages hang from de-couplers and vertical struts.

I do realize that too many struts slows our frame rates, but stable ships don't need high frame rates. And, you'll soon get back the higher frame rates once you cut those bottom stages.

• 1 year later...

I am having this very issue, why is it not solved in 0.23? :(

Im using mechjeb, its limited to 80% vel, the G force is 1, instant death on 6072M, no extraordinary things are happening here, its SO frustrating!!!

EDIT2: on the pad it 'took off' shaked around violently for 2 seconds, said reaching crew G limit and fell apart.........what the

EDIT3: OH MY ............ only pics will explain this!! BRB

OK EVERYONE, MY ROCKET TOOK OFF AND STOPPED AT 130M..........it didnt explode this time for some reason and the command pod was up above the science set................so it was stuck at 130m going through its entire launch sequence, and i got shots of that and even did some science!! lol, album here:

https://www.btcloud.bt.com/?shareObject=c96bad9c-be70-0112-3a51-7b70ac1e928f

Annoyingly the pics not in number order but u can see it all there - how do i report this to squad?

Edited by combat squirrel

I am having this very issue, why is it not solved in 0.23? :(

Im using mechjeb, its limited to 80% vel, the G force is 1, instant death on 6072M, no extraordinary things are happening here, its SO frustrating!!!

EDIT2: on the pad it 'took off' shaked around violently for 2 seconds, said reaching crew G limit and fell apart.........what the

EDIT3: OH MY ............ only pics will explain this!! BRB

OK EVERYONE, MY ROCKET TOOK OFF AND STOPPED AT 130M..........it didnt explode this time for some reason and the command pod was up above the science set................so it was stuck at 130m going through its entire launch sequence, and i got shots of that and even did some science!! lol, album here:

https://www.btcloud.bt.com/?shareObject=c96bad9c-be70-0112-3a51-7b70ac1e928f

Annoyingly the pics not in number order but u can see it all there - how do i report this to squad?

I've never seen anything like that​ happen. Any other mods aside from MechJeb?

1.- If you are using mods I don´t think squad has anything to say about your report, they take care of the vanilla game only.

2.- Are all those mods running at the same time? My approach would be disabling one, test, if the problem persist then enable it and disable the next until you find the culprit.

3.- Another approach would be making a copy of your KSP main folder, paste that copy somewhere else (your desktop for example), delete al the mods in that new copy and start the game vanilla, try to test a similar ship, if the problem does not occur, then is not the game but one of the mods or a combination of some.

Edited by Wooks

Holy necro, batman!

If it is the same error then it is still relevant. :wink:

Never had this happening before with a rocket, but I have a plane disassembling itself a few seconds after take off - did not launch anything else these days, will have to do some tests when I am back on sunday.

Sometimes the VAB or one of the buildings gets confused and it creates a barrier at a very high level and your ship crashes into it. I have never had the problem myself, but i have read about others who have here. What makes me think this could be your problem is that it happens at a very specific height. The fix to it is to go onto the launch pad and time accelerate, so Kerbin rotates and somehow the building rotates with it, then launch and you dont have the issue anymore.

The caveat being that i have only read about, never experienced it myself so i dont know if it will work for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.