Physics buoyancy distance too high

Line 83 of the physics.cfg says the following:

buoyancyRange = 1000 // If altitude of a part is greater than this above sea level, no expensive buoyancy checks are run

KSC ground level is at 69 meters. So this means all craft have these buoyancy checks when landed. I can only imagine this has an effect on large part count vessels. I haven't tested just how much this might affect performance, it's probably not much.

But anyway, I think a better value would be 10 meters.

How funny! I was just reading through the physics.cfg on an unrelated quest and noticed that yesterday. I thought that was strange too. Might run some tests myself when I get the chance.

I think setting it lower is a good idea though.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

Hmm... well there was a time when it was possible to reach 1000m altitude on an antiradial trajectory while still doing 2 or 3km/s. Of course surface contact with the ocean in that scenario is hardly likely to result in a requirement for buoyancy calculations...

Perhaps just nobody has really thought about this in a while.:/

Just now, Majorjim! said:

You said in the title that it was hurting performace.

Technically, yes. But how much will probably depend on the system and part count. If there's a 1% slowdown per part, the cumulative result when having 800 parts is probably a bad thing. In any case, whatever performance gain can be made, should be made. Especially since this setting is unnecessary .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.