How to make a kerbal consume and creat resources?

Hi guys!

as explained here, I am attempting to create my own basic LS system for personal use. I am unable to figure out how to make it so that my Kerbals consume the resource called Oxygen and then create the resource called Carbon dioxide in my mod (similar to how in USI LS Kerbals eat snacks and create mulch). Can someone help me?

Note: I haven't done anything beyond editing/creating part config files, so if this requires making a full on plugin can someone link me to a tutorial on how to start making a plugin as well?

Thanks! 

11 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

lol, try to pick apart the configs from Tac or USI LS to see how they work. I'm fairly sure it works on a system kind-of like how electric charge is consumed.

I have hit another roadblock :( (why is this road to modding filled with so many roadblocks?!?! what kind of construction is happening on this road to require so many!??! :D) . I opened up the USI LS config called supplies, and its empty, and all the other config I can find are only for if I have mods like CLS installed :(. does anyone know where I should look to try and find the answer to my question?

also, @RoverDude if you have a chance can you help?

17 hours ago, RoverDude said:

It's not a config thing... it's a code thing.   i.e. you will have to build a custom plugin.  For such things, I would not recommend something as complex as life support for your first go :wink:

oh. :(. Do you have any suggestions for a simple mod? (I tried making a part mod, but wings3d seems intent on not functioning).

@nascarlaser1 you can also try this mod here which is a firm favourite of mine.

But I also am looking to create a LS mod with both between the the simplicity of the 1 unit per day, but also with a more varied approach to generating that life support at the end of the day!

Looking into this, I'm wondering whether using CLLS or IFILS, for the life support could then be supplemented somehow with adding ModuleGenerator with a rate tied to the number of kerbals alive in the part that generates the 'waste' resource such as LifeResidue or something. The IFI or CLLS 'greenhouses' would then need EC plus the LifeResidue to be converted back.

Peace.

Hi @nascarlaser1

A further option would be to created a new profile for Kerbalism which is where I have put my attention in recent times (I also like the radiation mechanic).  The Simplified profile is linked in my form sig.

Are you going to have a crack at a creating a plugin?  What elements would you include in Life Support mod?

Peace?

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Hi @nascarlaser1

A further option would be to created a new profile for Kerbalism which is where I have put my attention in recent times (I also like the radiation mechanic).  The Simplified profile is linked in my form sig.

Are you going to have a crack at a creating a plugin?  What elements would you include in Life Support mod?

Peace?

Thanks! I'm not going to have a crash at creating a plugin right now (too much RL) but to start out I would just make them eat O2 and create CO2 which would then be turned back into O2 (in lesser amounts, like 3 CO2 makes 1 O2) and then just make it so the Kerbals will hibernate without O2 (similar to the USI LS I'm using now).

Thanks for your suggestions though, I will look into them!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.