KSP Weekly: The (Munar) Lunar Space Station

SQUAD

KSP Weekly: The Munar Lunar Space Station

Welcome to KSP Weekly everyone. Slowly but surely we’re getting back on our feet and regaining the development pace we are used to. It will take many years until our country fully recovers from the two major Earthquakes that struck us this month. But we must go on, continue with our work and our lives, all while not forgetting about those who lost their patrimony and/or their loved ones.

In a lighter note, this week we learned about Roscosmos announcing its involvement in the Deep Space Gateway project. The DSG will be a crew-tended cislunar space station, which is planned to be constructed in the early 2020s and would eventually replace the ISS after its retirement, which is expected to happen somewhere between 2024 and 2028. The station is being considered by international partners for use as a staging ground for robotic and crewed lunar surface missions, but more importantly, it would be also used as a staging point for the proposed Deep Space Transport. The DST is a crewed interplanetary spacecraft being planned by NASA to carry a human crew to Mars and its moons. It would use a combination of electric and chemical propulsion and carry a crew of six in a large habitat. These projects gives a clear purpose for NASA, Roscosmos and other space agencies for the next decades and would continue with the always fruitful tendency of international cooperation in terms of space exploration. Hopefully we’ll see them come to fruition and finally have a crewed mission to the Red Planet. You can learn more about these projects here. Now let’s move on to KSP development news.

[Development news start here]

Let’s start with update 1.3.1, whose estimated official release is a few days away. We’ve been collecting feedback for about a month, and while doing so, finishing with the last remaining fixes. We can’t express enough gratitude towards those who have been helping us with this phase of the release. Thank you!

Moving on to the console versions of KSP, this week saw some considerable progress as a couple of critical issues were resolved and a few other minor ones were tackled as well. One of the critical issues involved an exception error thrown when entering MiniSettings from the Pause menu, which locked up the game until it was rebooted. The other one was a bug that made the game crash/freeze after a while when the player launched several vessels into orbit around Kerbin. Once one crash occurred, more frequent crashes would follow even when not yet in orbit. In addition to those critical bugs, there were also minor fixes, including an input device issue, which prevented presets changes on horizontal movements after selecting the controller presets in the settings screen. Luckily, these issues will never see the light thanks to the QA team and our friends at Blitworks.

The Making History Expansion got its fair amount of attention, too. For starters the QA team has been testing parts and doing things with them that we’re sure nobody would ever think of doing. Because this is KSP. And you know that someone’s going to do that thing that you thought nobody would ever think of doing. Coupled with that, QA has started to test nodes, the pillar of the Mission Builder, which you as players will be able to select and place to from objectives and link those together into Missions. You will have a wide selection of nodes to choose from, divided in 5 main categories: Action, Location, Logic, Science and Vehicle. If you’ve been following the past issues, you’ll know that with the Mission Builder, you’ll be able to define all kinds of parameters and aspects you want players to follow in your missions, such as the flight time, the altitude, the parts available, as well as setting specific situations to be triggered at specific moments during a mission, e.g. part failures, among countless others. The team has been working on adding some features that, while simple, will facilitate the creation process. Soon we’ll be giving you a detailed description of how the nodes work and how to create missions, so keep an eye out for that.

Additionally, this week the development team has been working on the arduous task of adding in the UI Components that are needed to cater for part failures, this include showing the SAP and Node Body components for the PartFailure nodes, ensuring that the undo function is working, among many other tasks. Similarly the team worked on how a mission creator will define the  difficulty parameters for a mission. Some examples here include a new Settings Action Pane (SAP) parameter and object to the Mission that displays in the start node to change the mission difficulty parameters. The addition of designed difficulty settings and its system configuration to lock the difficulty components in play mode, the implementation of many parameters like Kerbal limits in Crew Management, Facility level limit, funding options, among many others that we have already revealed in previous issues.

Finally, the art team is working on the geometry and textures of several new parts, including a Gemini inspired Service Module and some new engines. Next week we’ll have something to show you so, so don’t miss the next issue.

That’s it for this week. Be sure to join us on our official forums, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Stay tuned for more exciting and upcoming news and development updates!

Happy launchings!

PD: Do you want to help the victims of the Earthquakes in Mexico? You can do so by donating to any of these non-profit institutions. Your contributions will make a huge difference:

Great news!  Hope all continues to improve!

Donation inbound! (I selected the Mexican Red Cross) sent on behalf of @SQUAD

Oh and I forgot: 1st! 

EDIT: 1000 MXN equated to only about 43 GBP. If folks donated just a little it would add up.

Edited by Wallygator

I am really glad you're all able to rebuild things there.... I wish I could help more.

20 minutes ago, SQUAD said:

You will have a wide selection of nodes to choose from, divided in 5 main categories: Action, Location, Logic, Science and Vehicle. If you’ve been following the past issues, you’ll know that with the Mission Builder, you’ll be able to define all kinds of parameters and aspects you want players to follow in your missions, such as the flight time, the altitude, the parts available, as well as setting specific situations to be triggered at specific moments during a mission, e.g. part failures, among countless others. The team has been working on adding some features that, while simple, will facilitate the creation process. Soon we’ll be giving you a detailed description of how the nodes work and how to create missions, so keep an eye out for that.

Getting really excited to see the final result!!!  :D

1 hour ago, SQUAD said:

Moving on to the console versions of KSP, this week saw some considerable progress as a couple of critical issues were resolved and a few other minor ones were tackled as well. One of the critical issues involved an exception error thrown when entering MiniSettings from the Pause menu, which locked up the game until it was rebooted. The other one was a bug that made the game crash/freeze after a while when the player launched several vessels into orbit around Kerbin. Once one crash occurred, more frequent crashes would follow even when not yet in orbit. In addition to those critical bugs, there were also minor fixes, including an input device issue, which prevented presets changes on horizontal movements after selecting the controller presets in the settings screen. Luckily, these issues will never see the light thanks to the QA team and our friends at Blitworks.

Keep up the good work squad!!

26 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Woo hoo!  1.3.1 a few days away!!!!! 

All aboard the 1.3.1 Hype Train!!!!

is there anything extremely major being fixed in 1.3.1 (like 1.2's terrain seams)? I just upgraded but I don't want have to upgrade again (I have to reinstall my game from scratch since its from the KSP store, but if there is major stuff like 1.2 then I will get it.

Great job on the DLC @SQUAD!!!

Glad to hear that the earthquake recovery is already starting. HOORAY FOR MEXICO!

44 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

All aboard the 1.3.1 Hype Train!!!!

From Miami to San Diego,
From France to northern China
From Big Ben to South Africa,
From the Everglades to Alabama,
All aboard, all the world, the Hype Train!

(Second Verse Under Development by Boeing)

Edited by Confused Scientist

41 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

is there anything extremely major being fixed in 1.3.1 (like 1.2's terrain seams)? I just upgraded but I don't want have to upgrade again (I have to reinstall my game from scratch since its from the KSP store, but if there is major stuff like 1.2 then I will get it.

See for yourself:

Improvements to large bases coming off rails is something I am really looking forward to.

Edited by Errol

1.3.1 is going to be released in a few days? Great!

I'm also glad to see how much progress is being made on the Making History Expansion. I can't wait for the DLC to come out!

Thanks for getting back to work on this game so quickly, after all the catastrophes that have happened in Mexico City recently. You're definitely one of the most dedicated developer teams out there.

52 minutes ago, Errol said:

See for yourself:

It would be awesome if someone from the community or the modders could post RE: the Changelog and say "Hey, this change X or Y will be a big impact" or "Ya'll are good" as far as having to update all our mods, etc.

Edited by scottadges

1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

Depends what different players would call "major". They say that the "jumping sun" will be fixed. That one alone I think is worth it. Also the action group for drills is supposed to be fixed. I'm sure there's plenty more as well.

58 minutes ago, scottadges said:

It would be awesome if someone from the community or the modders could post RE: the Changelog and say "Hey, this change X or Y will be a big impact" or "Ya'll are good" as far as having to update all our mods, etc.

Not sure understand you fully there... But that was announced when the prerelease started.

2 hours ago, nascarlaser1 said:

The terrain seams were fixed in 1.3.0?

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

Not sure understand you fully there... But that was announced when the prerelease started.

Thanks, I didn't know about that thread. That helps clarify.

I was just looking for the "non-developer" version of what the Changelog noted, most of which I didn't understand (since I'm not a developer). :confused: Figuring the modding community would be all over comments if there were major changes, etc.

Appreciate your comment back.

So, from the pre-release changelog, I see this gem:

• Default throttle setting to 0%

Now, I've been around long enough to remember when this was the original setting. In one of the releases, Squad changed it to 50% with the reasoning that too many noobs were too stupid or lazy to figure out the controls before playing and were getting upset that they'd hit the space bar to launch and nothing happened. This change to 50% setting by default was met in these very forums with much weeping, gnashing of teeth, and butthurt. And the response to all the outrage was essentially "you'll get over it."

I'm curious why the change back to the original setting now?

1 hour ago, Johnny Wishbone said:

So, from the pre-release changelog, I see this gem:

• Default throttle setting to 0%

Now, I've been around long enough to remember when this was the original setting. In one of the releases, Squad changed it to 50% with the reasoning that too many noobs were too stupid or lazy to figure out the controls before playing and were getting upset that they'd hit the space bar to launch and nothing happened. This change to 50% setting by default was met in these very forums with much weeping, gnashing of teeth, and butthurt. And the response to all the outrage was essentially "you'll get over it."

I'm curious why the change back to the original setting now?

Even after they added the option to change the default throttle setting in the main menu, there were still people that complained about it being set to whatever value because they didn't want the inconvenience of going into the Settings menu to change it themselves.

Personally, one thing I'm really happy about in 1.3.1 is the fix of the struts and fuel line offset movements working under symmetry, for both end-points.  When building structural-looking lattice-works using the struts, makes things a lot easier and better-looking.

On 29/09/2017 at 10:40 PM, SQUAD said:

PD: Do you want to help the victims of the Earthquakes in Mexico? You can do so by donating to any of these non-profit institutions. Your contributions will make a huge difference:

Sorry to interrupt the feature/fix discussions, but I thought it might be appropriate to just mention that it's not all that painful to contribute.  Just sayin'...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.