Big Kerbal Rocket - 2017 Style!

Shocked no one has done this yet...but glad, because I wanted to be the one to do it.

I'm sure most of us have seen Elon Musk's 2017 IAC presentation, which raises the bar (even though that "bar" is somewhat smaller) tremendously over the 2016 version of BFR/ITS/MCT. If anyone hasn't had a chance to see it, I highly recommend checking it out:

What's the challenge? Build the 2017 version of the BFR, of course. Specifically:

Build a large two-stage fully-reusable launch system capable of propulsive landings on Duna, Kerbin, and the Mun. It must be capable of in-orbit propellant transfer and needs to be able to deliver substantial payload (at least 20 kerbals, or a fully-functioning autonomous ISRU unit) to Duna. No nukes, ions, jets, rolling landings, or parachutes. Tweakscale is the only allowed part mod for engines and tanks.

Once you've demonstrated proof of concept with a single launch, subsequent launches (for refueling, etc.) may use the debug menu to get into orbit. You can also use Unbreakable Joints and No Crash Damage as long as your landings are under 5 m/s.

The scoring system is designed so that the closer you make your version to the one revealed by Musk, the more points you get. I may add additional ways of earning points as the challenge progresses, but I'll try to keep it balanced.

Scoring:

• Basic challenge (two-stage, reusable, propulsive landings on Duna, Kerbin, and the Mun): 5,000 points
  • Booster executes RTLS: 200 points
  • Dedicated propellant transfer ports in tail: 50 points
  • Single-stage to Mun and back to Kerbin after Kerbin orbit refueling: 600 points
  • Demonstrate single-stage return from Duna to Kerbin after Duna ISRU: 800 points
  • Six engines on second stage: 60 points
  • Thirty-one engines on first stage: 31 points
  • No reaction wheels: 200 points
  • No monoprop (Vernor engine RCS only): 175 points
  • Booster lands in launch cradle: 650 points
  • Delta wings on second stage: 85 points
  • Dedicated crew vehicle, cargo vehicle, tanker: 400 points

Ties are broken by total upper stage dry mass, the lighter, the better.

Edited by sevenperforce

18 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Awesome challenge !

I have one but it only hold 4 kerbals (MK3 Cockpit.) I'll !make one with more crew room. Other than that it gets a few bonuses. Thank you @sevenperforce for yet another awesome challenge ! :)

Edited by kerbalstar
Autocorrect

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.