[1.3] Procedural Pods

MrRoMe

Procedural Pods

Tired of monotonous command pods in KSP? Want to go to space (or not) in style? Introducing Procedural Pods, your one-click solution to fancy Kerbal canisters!

With Procedural Pods, you can create command pods of any shape and texture, as long as they are available for Procedural Parts. Use this to imitate real-life capsules, or create your own! 

Review by Kottabos

Thanks a lot, Kottabos!

Pictures

gvOxCCQ.png

Procedural Command Pod with airlock door by Tiktaalik's Airlock Collection

1kfEoGA.png

A white procedural pod with decorative parts during propulsive landing

gb9AAye.png

VAB editor view

bxDyTTL.png

These look normal...

bXVRHLq.png

And safe...

1dS5Nbe.png

But you can do something whacky also! Alien egg with Kerbals?...

phPxKRU.png

... Or a habitable apartment!

https://imgur.com/a/w5PSL

Dependencies

Procedural Pods requires Procedural Parts to be installed to work.

Recommended Mods

Tiktaalik's Airlock Collection - for EVA capability.

Freedom Textures - for more texture options. Other PP texture mods also apply.

Compatible Mods (should have the same compatibility as Procedural Parts)

Real Fuels (PPods is balanced for RF)

Tweakscale

Short-Term Plans

- Dynamic crew capacity and dynamic SAS power relative to size

- Procedural probe cores?

Long-Term Plans

- Custom textures

- Dynamic IVAs

Download

https://github.com/MrrRoMe/procedural-pods

License: MIT

Edited by MrRoMe
Featured video + future planning

7 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

This is awesome and long waited! Well done.

Do they have an IVA?

Thanks! Yes they do, but currently the IVA is set to the Mk1-2 pod IVA since I have very limited knowledge beyond cfg editing :P any tips and suggestions are super welcome! 

13 hours ago, MrRoMe said:

Thanks! Yes they do, but currently the IVA is set to the Mk1-2 pod IVA since I have very limited knowledge beyond cfg editing :P any tips and suggestions are super welcome! 

Great! I asked cause in absence of IVA, KSP doesn't allow the crew to store scientifica data in a pod. Sadly no hints on the Ivas, but for sure you can find something in the Add-On Development.

16 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Great! I asked cause in absence of IVA, KSP doesn't allow the crew to store scientifica data in a pod. Sadly no hints on the Ivas, but for sure you can find something in the Add-On Development.

Wow, never knew that correlation :o 

But no worries, all PPods have a crew report and science storage module just like stock pods :D 

Will be sure to check the dev section, thanks!

14 hours ago, MrRoMe said:

I like this mod quite a lot.  A useful part, and does what it says on the tin.

As you continue to develop the mod, do you anticipate being able to change the max crew size at some point?  Even having several hard-coded variant configs (1-crew, 2-crew, 4-crew, etc) would be very useful if making that value editable is tricky.  Hard-coded (separate) configs would also make the IVA issue easier to deal with, I'm guessing.

Also, though it would imply a mod  dependency, I bet "Decal Stickers" and/or "NEBULA space engineering - Decals Continued" could pretty easily be adapted to create (flat) decorative parts such as windows and fiddly bits.  I don't think they support normal maps, which is a limitation.  Still, could be useful.

Thanks for making this.  I'll be using it.

On 10/2/2017 at 12:26 PM, Foozle said:

As you continue to develop the mod, do you anticipate being able to change the max crew size at some point?  Even having several hard-coded variant configs (1-crew, 2-crew, 4-crew, etc) would be very useful if making that value editable is tricky.  Hard-coded (separate) configs would also make the IVA issue easier to deal with, I'm guessing.

I am working on dynamic crew capacity currently, but it turns out to be more complicated than I thought. I wanted the crew capacity to just be ( constant * volume ), but could not find the variable for volume, especially since it is dynamic. Any pointers towards how to access volume for Procedural Parts will be helpful!

Not sure if you'll be able to limit by volume however, you might be able to set it by tech level in the interim in the same way PP limits dimensions and volume by appending minimum and maximum crew.

Also:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.