Squad will never add more planets to the base game, nor will they ever add "more things to do". You may see that as a DLC but the mod community already has additional planets locked down so why would you buy anything from Squad?

I also have no idea what would make this game less boring on the ground. Flying or driving around Kerbin is kind of fun in and of itself but some rote tasks or more mining is just dull. Additional scenery might be a motivator but only for a bit, plus it would have to be procedural because hand-crafting an entire planet, even as tiny as those in KSP, is a real chore for very little gain.

We're in the DLC phase of development, best to look to mods for more things to do.

Yeh, unfortunately the 'more fun things to do, more effort on planetary surface detail' pleas are very old and very ignored, or worse overwhelmed by the 'market forces' argument (at this stage it would cost too much for too little profit), or the 'it wouldn't work anyway' argument (a boring planet with a volcano on it is still a boring planet), or the 'don't change my game for me' arguments (not everybody cares about planet surfaces, and they have their own preferred improvements). And a bunch of other arguments.

But feel free to carry the torch for a while. You'll find it makes you a target and casts a light that illuminates an awful lot of ugliness.

Everyone wants more planets/moons and/or things to do on those things. But this request is very common, so common in fact that you might be pressuring the devs to work on things they don't have to or want to.

Edited by NSEP

7 hours ago, regex said:

Also I have no idea what would make this game less boring on ground

Well I have some idea what would make it more interesting for me. Unfortunately

1) It Is just ideas and I may be wrong

2) no idea if it will be interesting for anyone else.

What about the planned Gas Planet 3 that would be like Mesklin?  That would be cool.  

Though you could just use sigma dimensions to scale up Inaccessable.

and figure out how to give it an atmosphere...

hmmm....

51 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Maybe in KSP2.

IMHO people overestimate the likeness of a KSP sequel.

For a long while that will be an almost certain failure. Both games would compete for the same public; unless the new game offers some very significant differences people will mostly stay with what they already paid for and are used to play. And even if the new game manages to get a good player base there is the issue of spilt development and the risk of alienating the public. (It's a business and they offer the product to take our money,  which will be much more difficult if we start to think they are nit willing to give us a fair compensation)

7 hours ago, Spricigo said:

IMHO people overestimate the likeness of a KSP sequel.

I'd wager the entire reason Take Two bought KSP was the possible profits of a KSP2.  Do you honestly think they bought it just for the DLC income?

8 hours ago, Spricigo said:

Both games would compete for the same public

As does every sequel to every game.  They still seem to do pretty well.

unless the new game offers some very significant differences people will mostly stay with what they already paid for and are used to play.

Look at the general trend of sequels in the game industry.  Some new mechanics.  Better visuals.  They all still seem to do pretty well.  A little can go a long way.

spilt development

Development on KSP1 would stop.

5 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'd wager the entire reason Take Two bought KSP was the possible profits of a KSP2.  Do you honestly think they bought it just for the DLC income?

Honestly I don't care. If they offer me a good product I may give them money,  otherwise I'll expend my money elsewhere (is that simple). But I consider the possibility that T2 may be more interested in SQUAD's staff than in SQUAD's product. A goor staff can create/improve/sell several good products while a good product held by an less competent staff can easily become a failure. 

Also think you give little credit for KSP as currently is. Even without new mechanics and better visuals it offer a high entertainment value. SQUAD/TakeTwo can halt development now and KSP will still be far from dead. And even if official development stop we still have the modders which are the prime source of new mechanics and better visuals since a long time now.

Finally,  is far from certain KSP2 would benefit from a number of factors that helped with the sucess of KSP. 

In any case there's no indication that a KSP2 game will ever exist except for the existence of a KSP game. And really amuses me that people have such big expectations for something they describe as a slight improvement with a big price tag. 

If you lack things to do in KSP you lack imagiation. The things to do part is up to you! Build a craft pack that work together to complete a complex off world mission. This takes real skill, dedication and imagination. Build craft the work together on the surface. Craft that have a purpose. Completing the mission and returning all kerbals back home is what makes this game so damn awesome. Yes the planets are devoid of features but they are HUGE. covering them with detail will be hard as hell and reduce game performance.

2 hours ago, Majorjim! said:

If you lack things to do in KSP you lack imagiation. The things to do part is up to you

So true.

Still, I wouldn't mind a bit more incentives to explore the solar system. 

Adding a entire new celestial body or a full fledged revamp of the surface features is a tall order. But keeping an eye open for smaller tweaks seems like something the devs should do (and I guess they actually do).

Assuming devs have that open mind to change some small details that don't take much work*, players would be better served trying to identify and point that small details instead of asking for grand scale revisions. 

45 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

Dont feel bad! Us modders have you covered :)

Appreciated. Thank you very much indeed! 

That said I still didn't found what I mention when people ask what kind of new celestial body should be interesting: a comet, about the size of gily in a highly elliptical orbit that pass near the sun once in century or so. 

*as in: it's a lot of work that non-devs don't notice, but still less than what would take to implement our wet dreams.

the planet mods out there are so well done squad would just waste their time honestly. tho id love some new things as well im pretty happy with the game as it stands with the mod community. if i could add something it be comets cause its the one thing missing  that kind of makes sense to have.

44 minutes ago, UranianBlue said:

Why play on console?

Is like a chronic disease, you need accept you situation is not good and deal with.*

In any case your remark seems a bit out of place without a previous "but console players..." argument .

On 10/3/2017 at 8:21 AM, klgraham1013 said:

The acquisition would have emphasized the game KSP, not the IP (intellectual property) KSP. Press releases by companies like Take 2 tend to be written over the course of many days, approved up and down the corporate ladder until everyone agrees that the content of them says exactly what it is intended to say, not more and not less.

I wouldn't put too much money KSP 2. Somewhere in the distant future perhaps, once KSP is milked dry. With fancier graphics, multiplayer, perhaps even n-body physics for those who want it.

Meanwhile, think along the lines of: Kerbals (the Sims, but with Kerbals), Klose Kombat: Kerbal EditionKerman & Kerman Superkarts and an empire-building game named Kolony. Some of them mobile, perhaps even with the micropayments everyone is dying to see introduced. As for Kerbal Space Program -- perhaps a version 2, five years from now, but for now the game is still "alive" enough to warrant continued development.

1 minute ago, Kerbart said:

Meanwhile, think along the lines of: Kerbals (the Sims, but with Kerbals), Klose Kombat: Kerbal EditionKerman & Kerman Superkarts and an empire-building game named Kolony. Some of them mobile, perhaps even with the micropayments everyone is dying to see introduced. As for Kerbal Space Program -- perhaps a version 2, five years from now, but for now the game is still "alive" enough to warrant continued development.

Oh, I assume we'll be getting a Kerbal Kart Racer in the near future.  I just think it's crazy to think there won't be a KSP2 at some point, or that KSP1's development will continue for another 5 years.

You can all point and laugh at these posts when KSP 1.9.5 drops in 2023 and we're on our 10th DLC pack.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.