Rest in peace, my friend

ThreePounds

Maybe a few of you guys wonder why I have dropped off the surface and there is a reason for that.  Last week we had to put our cat to sleep. He really was a special pet and I am thankful for the short five years we had with him. I have seen lots of cats in my life, but none that would enjoy human company as much as he did. He loved to be part of our loud dinner parties and was patient with children. He let my friend's two-years-old kid grab and chase him around. We would walk him daily around our back yard much like you walk a dog. We even had a leash on him to keep him from attacking other pets - which did in his younger years.

His end came pretty quickly. He was hiding a monstrous liver growth from us till the very end when it ruptured and caused him immense pain. We knew that we had to say good-bye one day, as he was showing signs of old age (and maybe related to his liver problem) but we never expected it to end so quickly.

I uploaded some pictures to imgur, if you want to check them out.

https://imgur.com/a/TZzt5

Edited by Three_Pounds

Losing a pet is a lot harder than many people realize.  I think it's because there's often a special bond between the pet and the human-- one that people without pets don't really experience.

It's been a year since we lost our "little old lady dog" and I still get sniffly about it at times.  :(

I wish you peace and comfort.   :)

5 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Cute cat. Sorry for your loss.

I assume you didn't have him from the beginning ? What happened to his tail ?

Yes. We initially just took care of him for a while for a friend, but that turned into five years. Half of his tail was missing when we got him - the rest was stiff. No idea what happened to it. Later we had to amputate even that because there were some growths on it that had to be removed and my vet had trouble stitching it all back together. I think it never really bothered him to not have his tail any more.

16 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Losing a pet is a lot harder than many people realize.  I think it's because there's often a special bond between the pet and the human-- one that people without pets don't really experience.

It's been a year since we lost our "little old lady dog" and I still get sniffly about it at times.  :(

I wish you peace and comfort.   :)

Thanks for your kind words. It means a lot to me. :)

Edited by Three_Pounds

22 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I am so sorry... we lost one a couple weeks ago, and it's not easy.

;.;

Sorry to hear that. I can now understand how painful it is. It's difficult to really grasp unless you experience it yourself.

7 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I just lost one of my parakeets yesterday evening. Quite sad, but the other one is all right. I played the piano for him afterwards, and he enjoyed that.

Sad indeed. We sometimes played classical music for our cat when he was upset - it's interesting that it really seems to change their mood. I understand that these birds are highly social, are you getting him a new friend any time soon?

That is my problem.

I have to put down my long time cat friend to sleep some time ago...

And this event stuck so hard in the bones, i am on year 10 now and have not the strength to get one new for me... i miss my little Cleo(pathra) beast as if it was yesterday....

Sorry for your loss chummer...

The crazy aspect is, the cats where never domesticated, they chose on it own to live with humans.... maybe this is why a cat is something special...?

43 minutes ago, Urses said:

the cats where never domesticated

Sorry to disrupt.

The house or domesticated cat is fully domesticated (breeding under human control). Can even be seen on skeletal traits on some races like shortened snout and shrunk skull cause brain shrinks with the loss of senses compared to the wild ancestors. Big computer isn't needed and brain costs energy, applied evolution so to say.

There are quite a few wild cats in central and western Europe. They are hunted and often killed by poison, rarely by traffic. You don't get to see them, they hide and do not go to humans like a domesticated cat (animal) might.

Other degenerative factors exist as well. "Mausi" has traits of a Siamese though he wasn't purebred race or sub-race, do i see that right ? Siamese have a lower lifespan than many other household cat races because of over breeding, thus loss of health.

Btw.: i am a fool for a cat. I gave home to a little Siamese cat (a she) 2 years ago that lingered around the house for 2-3 months. They are very lively and absolutely human oriented. So, some cats do seek human presence, but these are house cats. The one i gave shelter even was sterilized, so it either fled or was abandoned.

Sorry OP. Hope you get over it soon and maybe look for a new companion, maybe from an animal shelter or so ;-)

Edited by Green Baron

37 minutes ago, Urses said:

The crazy aspect is, the cats where never domesticated, they chose on it own to live with humans.... maybe this is why a cat is something special...?

Yes! I'm not sure they were ever fully domesticated... not like a dog. Cat's still have a huge independent streak.

One of mine, Waldo... is a rescue cat that we think got flooded out when a couple streets over got hit really bad a few years ago. Long story short, he showed up in our backyard, and almost instantly adopted me, until we finally brought him inside. He definitely choose me... not the other way around.

AuNY6uu.jpg

EKzhRiw.jpg

Our newest, Bug, is also a rescue, and has finally decided she likes it here, and has taken over the house. Again, she had to take her time to decide that she liked us... not the other way around. 

0CpblCa.jpg

If you can, adopt, or get adopted, by a rescue cat... they're the best friends you can have!

I'm deeply saddened for your loss. But just think that your cat is in a better place now. Not in pain, or danger, but just laying in the sun, happily purring. You did the right thing, by not letting him suffer in agony and pain. ;.;

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.