Threads of the Month: October

Deddly

The cold, dreary days of October are upon us. The evenings are getting darker, and the rain batters against the window as the wind picks up outside. You have many reasons to rest indoors in front of your screen, feasting your weary eyes on a beautiful sea of photons. I hereby present to you some of the finest electronic radiation available to tickle your retinas and brighten your autumn: October’s Threads of the Month!

KSP can provide some beautiful scenes sometimes, especially with some visual enhancements installed. But what if you would like to make your own custom visual mod? One good place to start might be to create your own skybox. Is it difficult? Where do you even begin? @Nucleartaxi has the answer with his Comprehensive KSP Skybox Creation Tutorial:

Sometimes, we see something that can truly capture our imagination. This is the amongst the most inspiring KSP videos we have ever seen, and it perfectly captures all the important aspects of the game. Well done, @Scarecrow!

Do you ever imagine what kind of complicated contraptions you could assemble in KSP if you had some rotating parts to play with? Why not learn to make some stock bearings and see what you can do? Building on previous designs by himself and others, take a look at what @Azimech has done in order to build this wonderful, fully-functional reciprocating engine:

One area some KSP players would love to improve their skills in is designing spaceplanes. @AeroGav has put a lot of thought into a basic Mk2 spaceplane guide, helping us to troubleshoot common issues like poor performance, spinning uncontrolably and exploding cockpits, and teaching us the essentials of spaceplane design, such as how to prevent a shifting CoM as the fuel burns down, thereby ruining your mission, your flight, your Kerbals and your day. This and much more in this very well-thought-out guide:

Finally, what would life be without a travelling circus? I imagine life would be much less full of travelling circuses. Thankfully, we need not worry about such things, because @Geschosskopf has brought us the beautiful tale of the Alternis Kerbol Travelling Circus! (Though this one seems to be unusually devoid of merry-go-rounds...)

What do you think of the selections this month? Did you see some brilliant post or thread that should be highlighted for all to see? Please do let us know by sending one of the moderators a PM, and we can consider having it in next month's TotM!

38 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Huh. Ive heard of the  travelling circus, but never read it. guess now is a good time to start.

Yes, you should. Very good reading... @Geschosskopf has a very creative and... unique... view of the KSP universe. :)

Edited by Just Jim

20 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Well done all! Incidentally, who votes for these things?

My understanding is mostly people pm the moderators their nominations.

But from there I'm not sure there's an actual voting process, or if the moderators just choose which they think is the coolest.

15 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

But from there I'm not sure there's an actual voting process, or if the moderators just choose which they think is the coolest.

That sounds about right. :)

Edited by The Dunatian

7 hours ago, Deddly said:

Pretty much, yep :)

If someone nominates a thread, that's a 'vote'. So please do keep an eye out for those threads that are a little extra special.

Or, put another way:  "Crowd proposes, mod disposes."  :wink:

When we mods notice a thread that we think is cool, we note 'em down.  Then we pick several to be listed here.

That said, "noticing" can be difficult when there's so much going on in the forum all the time-- there aren't all that many of us, we can't read everything, and it's entirely possible there could be something awesome that wastes its sweetness on the desert air simply because none of the moderators happened to see it.

So if you see something you think is awesome and you'd love to see it in a TOTM thread, by all means call our attention to it!  (Best way to do that would be to just report the thread, with a note "I think this is cool and would be great for TOTM".)  We'll be sure to take a look!

On 10/2/2017 at 5:05 PM, Deddly said:

The cold, dreary days of October are upon us.

*Wind chill drops to 30*

The evenings are getting darker

When the sun goes down,

On my side of town..

and the rain batters against the window

Thankfully, it's a freezing cold spell; no rain in sight...

as the wind picks up outside.

Meh.. not really. 

Anyways, great list! As always, congrats to the TOTM winners! (Forlornly sighs as I wait to be admitted into the club)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.