little and bad evidence for a massive claim is what this is

Abstract_Kerman

I have seen a lot of abandonware games and im just throwing this out for discussion dont take this seriously, i have seen a lot of games promise features for a year then get abandoned. I do not think ksp will be abandoned soon but this is something im throwing out DO NOT take this seriously .

What was promised and not delivered?

The only two things I can think of that someone could consider promised but not delivered are a dV readout (from an offhand, ambiguous, and not ever acknowledged to my memory Twitter post by a non-developer who left years ago) and Multiplayer (that was announced to be something they'd start working on - but never promised to be included - some nebulous time after release. You could argue that it's after release now, but I will also point out that in 2047 it'll also still be after release).

Are there any other promised features that you're waiting on? Links to the promises of these features would help your cause.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I do unerstand @Abstract_Kerman, this doesn't apply for KSP, but there are a lot of Alpha/Beta games out there. 
I think that the main reason fo that is, that making a game requires much less effort than before. A lot of small teams are out there and trying to get their game out of the alpha, where it dies because of to much critism and internet judgement. 

Games aren't developed forever. Abandonware doesn't refer to that. Abandonware refers to software whose copyright owners no longer exist or (maybe) those whose copyright owners don't care about enforcing their copyright claims. You will find, for instance, that you can find a lot of old SNES roms in non warez sites, but you'll have a hard time finding a reputable site distributing Super Mario Bros SNES games, which are being sold by Nintendo to this date.

IOW Take Two can decide to end all development efforts on KSP. That doesn't turn KSP into abandonware.

19 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

The game was just purchased by Take-Two and it has a huge upcoming DLC release on the horizon.

Where in the world did you even get the idea that it was "abandonware?"

Then you tell us not to take it seriously...I mean what is even the point of this thread?

there is no point to this thread

On 10/4/2017 at 1:36 AM, DrLicor said:

I do unerstand @Abstract_Kerman, this doesn't apply for KSP, but there are a lot of Alpha/Beta games out there. 
I think that the main reason fo that is, that making a game requires much less effort than before. A lot of small teams are out there and trying to get their game out of the alpha, where it dies because of to much critism and internet judgement. 

Alpha games, Beta games, but no gamma games! I'm gonna take a knee until we have gamma games!

6 hours ago, Abstract_Kerman said:

there is no point to this thread

And sometimes those are the threads that are the most fun!

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Alpha games, Beta games, but no gamma games! I'm gonna take a knee until we have gamma games!

Any games that are still getting updates and patches should be considered delta games. Games that are no longer being developed can be considered... finiware?

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Any games that are still getting updates and patches should be considered delta games. Games that are no longer being developed can be considered... finiware?

So... would Omega..ware be those old games we love and play in compatibility mode although they were designed to work in Windows 95... and haven't been updated since 1997? :D

On 10/4/2017 at 11:15 PM, juanml82 said:

You will find, for instance, that you can find a lot of old SNES roms in non warez sites, but you'll have a hard time finding a reputable site distributing Super Mario Bros SNES games, which are being sold by Nintendo to this date.

Small point of order here: literally 99% of the sites where you'll find SNES (and other) roms are warez sites in all but the name.  The reason you won't find Nintendo first-party games on a lot of them is that Nintendo occasionally (as happened recently) goes on a copyright takedown spree.  Very little of what is available is true abandonware, you will find that for example SEGA still sell a huge amount of their back-catalogue through Steam, as well as other distribution methods like the virtual console.  The same is true for a large amount of the Neo Geo and Atari librarys.  Individual publishers like Namco and Taito frequently publish anthologies of their older games as well.  You will find all of this freely available if you spend even a small amount of time looking online.

The difference is that in general Nintendo seem to be the company most interested in actually enforcing their copyright.

Edited by pxi

1 hour ago, Abstract_Kerman said:

I don't mind the mocking, I think I'll keep the thread up for a little while longer.

We'd still like to know what game play features you feel were promised and never delivered. (and also presumably won't be delivered in the future?)

Or what exactly if anything prompted you to start this discussion.

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

We'd still like to know what game play features you feel were promised and never delivered. (and also presumably won't be delivered in the future?)

Or what exactly if anything prompted you to start this discussion.

^This . Without some imput about it the thread is just spam.

I don't know if this is off-topic but its time for me to tell my opinion about dying games.

Honestly, developers can leave a game alone for 5 years without developing the game, and that can still be alive, how?

-Modding. Modding can still keep the game 'developing' and fun for people to use. Modding would also be a little easier with the lack of updates. Spin-off games also count as keeping the game alive.

-Community. If a community still keeps discussing and talking about the game, they still keep it alive.

-Players. A game can't die if hundreds of people still play it, players always keep the games heart beating.

If a game doesn't have Modders, a Community and Players, its dead. Wrestling is 17000 years old and still has a community, players and sometimes people do make 'spin off' games from them. So technically, in my opinion its not dead.