Valerian style space station

The movie Valerian includes (hypothetically)  what happened to the ISS, and in the movie it basically just expanded as more and more pieces kept attaching to it by docking. Has anyone tried doing this? Is it possible to keep building on to a space station? 

Whats the biggest space station you’ve built?

EDIT: just to clear up any confusion, this wasn’t meant to be a question, but more of a suggestion of what I’d like someone to do. However I was wondering if it would even work

Edited by MajorMushroom

You can do it up to a point, but the larger constructs are kraken-bait.

But yes, most of my stations are expandable. In career mode you will get missions to expand an existing station. So it's a good idea to always have a few docking ports free. I'll usually dock a few cheapo capsules/landers/recovery vehicles to bring rescuees back to Kerbin too.

Edited by dvp

you can create them as massive as you want, tho your PC may hate you after you reach a certain part number and lag.

i built this a while ago, it can fit about 30 kerbal, has  science modules, an RCS  docking ship to move parts into place, and an on  board rocket to take kerbals back to the surface.

34DF9D8D524A33E59A10B67173E9D6FAF981B00B

Largest station I've ever done (though it was mobile, so technically more of a ship than a station).  Could hold well over a hundred Kerbals or more.  It looks like the top and bottom toroids were made of 24 Hitchhiker Pods each, making 96 Kerbals per, so I guess the total is over actually over 200 Kerbals.

Q3edwlv.png

Although if the image I found on Google is correct, then it is a couple orders of magnitude from what you're envisioning.

(Never seen the film, so idk if the image is a spoiler or not.  Regardless, putting it behind a spoiler anyway)

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kv

It's theoretically possible to make a station that large, but the physics lag would be tremendous.  It's really up to what your PC can handle and how much lag you as a person can tolerate.

Edited by Slam_Jones

It’s a shame about the lag. It’s understandable though. I was kind of imagining some weird, clunky, badly designed monstrosity. I know it would be ridiculous, buy one day I want to try to build something like that. 

All the ones above are very good though, very sleek :) 

16 hours ago, Slam_Jones said:

(Never seen the film, so idk if the image is a spoiler or not.  Regardless, putting it behind a spoiler anyway)

Reveal hidden contents

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kv

My computer started whimpering just looking at that, and while it's no super gaming machine, it's probably on the better end of the spectrum for KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.