[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

What about optimization?

I'm not a game dev, may be to early to suggest as new content is coming out. But I would be more excited to hear about improvements regarding FPS lag, over vBulletin implementation, cockpit views and scenarios. I do like the progress you have made towards fixing bugs etc.

Windows 7 64

AMD Phenom 9150e Quad 1.80GHz

4 GB Ram

Radeon 6770HD 1GB

Nova,can i ask?Is possible to get to one from this planets/moons with stock parts?

Yes, but that will need a large powerful rocket, with a lot of Delta V potential.. Probably <30'000..

Hard,Laggy.. but possible..

What about optimization?

I'm not a game dev, may be to early to suggest as new content is coming out. But I would be more excited to hear about improvements regarding FPS lag, over vBulletin implementation, cockpit views and scenarios. I do like the progress you have made towards fixing bugs etc.

Windows 7 64

4 GB Ram

Radeon 6770HD 1GB

I play this on my laptop so this would make me a happy bunny too, however I think they said they're focusing on making things work first, and then optimising later. I'm happy to wait though, I'm used to laggy games! :)

The standard procedure in game development is to build the bulk of the game during the Alpha stage (where Squad is currently), work solely on bugs during Beta, and finally release the 1.0 version.

It'll be during Beta that performance efforts will be undertaken :)

This is true, just ask CCP, they've been in beta for 10+ years. Back on topic though (sorry about that) I will be perfectly okay if this update doesn't improve performance. I can't see it causing any more lag. .16 improved performance with the new particle effects and larger, more powerful parts (you now have to use less stuff to do that same stuff as before). This update doesn't have anything slotted that would do something like that. The only thing I could see that would detract from performance are the physical time warp modes and the IVAs, but probably only while in use.

I just had a lovely thought for a planet/asteroid/mun to be added when heat (from Kerbol) is implemented.

Tide lock it (or perhaps not for maximum evil), and place it so close to the sun that the only real way to land on it

without burning up is to come straight down in its shadow, no gentle de-orbit burns because if you move around to

the Kerbol-side, then you will burn up. I figure that designing a rocket with the fuel to do this is not a big thing.

What would be the main challenge of ever landing there, is getting your orbit right.

Secondary idea:

Same as above, but do not tide-lock it, give it an hour or so rotational period, but provide a lot of caves that

the landers can take refuge in. This provides a secondary challenge, that if you want to survive, you will need

to be able to take your ship and move it under cover.

Thoughts?

I just had a lovely thought for a planet/asteroid/mun to be added when heat (from Kerbol) is implemented.

Tide lock it (or perhaps not for maximum evil), and place it so close to the sun that the only real way to land on it

without burning up is to come straight down in its shadow, no gentle de-orbit burns because if you move around to

the Kerbol-side, then you will burn up. I figure that designing a rocket with the fuel to do this is not a big thing.

What would be the main challenge of ever landing there, is getting your orbit right.

Secondary idea:

Same as above, but do not tide-lock it, give it an hour or so rotational period, but provide a lot of caves that

the landers can take refuge in. This provides a secondary challenge, that if you want to survive, you will need

to be able to take your ship and move it under cover.

Thoughts?

Not sure if caves are possible with the current terrain engine. It'd be interesting to try and land on it though.

I can't see how this would work. The planet wouldn't be big enough to block out Kerbol until you're very close to it so the shielding effect would only cover a tiny proportion of the distance you had to travel.

I'd also be surprised if concavities are supported by the terrain engine, or ever will be. They make the whole thing an awful lot more complicated.

If they can make Mun arches, I don't see why they can't make caves.

The mun arch is an object, much like the monolith or the VAB and the surreounding water towers and gantries. It is not part of the terrain. If squad were to make the terrain solely out of objects, it would be an enormous load on your PC, and completely impractical, as it would eliminate the procedural generation aspect of the terrain, and since unity loads every object on startup, the game would load every single terrain tile at the start of the game, meaning either that the terrain would all look the same, or the game would run about as fast as a backwards snail on glue, due to loading hundreds of different terrain tile objects all at once.

Edited by Vostok

Not completely different. The current terrain engine essentially means that we can't have any overhanging slopes. So if instead, we had a large and very steep sided crater, we could inlay an object into this crater, this object being our terrain tile with a cave system.

This might be getting a little offtopic, but nothing is stopping them to add a mountain with a cave, on top of the existing terrain. like a building.

more on topic, is there any news on the propotions of land present on the sea moon of the gas giant? or any stock "floaters" to land on a sea planet?

edit: mnad ninja's !!

Well, there is a mod out there for part gravity - if Squad could take the concept and polish it up a bit, they could just be giant parts, but the GUI part would have to be implemented. At least the smaller ones.

What about optimization?

Windows 7 64

4 GB Ram

Radeon 6770HD 1GB

Windows 7 64 bit

AMD FX 4100 (Quad Core) 4.2Ghz

16gb RAM

Geforce GTX 560

Trust me, I even get lag, but that's only during loading. They should be adding loading screens in one or another update if I'm correct; but that is a long ways off.

Edited by Douglasdtlltd