[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Here's an interesting thought. What if, just for lols, Jool had the same diameter and mass as Earth? I think it would be in about the right ballpark to be in scale with the rest of the Kerbol system: Kerbin is ~1/10 the size and ~1/100 the mass of Earth, and Earth is ~1/10 the size and ~1/300 the mass of Jupiter. And it would make a fun easter egg for people who looked closely at the numbers...

50 km/s? No, you probably can't get that much off gravitational slingshots of the moons.

Among other things, you'll have to be able to produce a good fraction of that to /reach/ them from your starting point at a 200km altitude circular orbit above the gas giant, and its moons are not going to be massive enough, or moving fast enough to give you much more than a tiny boost.

You cannot use an unpowered gravitational slingshot around Jool to gain velocity relative to Jool. If you want to do a powered gravitational slignshot past Jool... that's what you're already doing by directly burning into the 50 km/s hyperbola from your 200 km altitude circular orbit.

I suppose the real question is "Why are you in a circular orbit that close to the gas giant without bringing enough fuel, if you planned to return?"

I didn't say unpowered, but I should have been more specific. If you plan a series of (possibly powered) slingshots around the moons into a 200-300km pass by Jool, and do a burn at the Pe, then you should be able to achieve the necessary velocity with less dv used, if planned properly.

Here's an interesting thought. What if, just for lols, Jool had the same diameter and mass as Earth? I think it would be in about the right ballpark to be in scale with the rest of the Kerbol system: Kerbin is ~1/10 the size and ~1/100 the mass of Earth, and Earth is ~1/10 the size and ~1/300 the mass of Jupiter. And it would make a fun easter egg for people who looked closely at the numbers...

I thought Earth was like... 1/100 the size of Jupiter.

Wow, my bad. I was looking at Jool -> Kerbin, and not Kerbin -> Jool, which is makes more sense at ~3700m/s. The travel back from Jool will be quite a challenge though! :)

NO kerbal that has left my atmosphere has ever returned. Save for the rescue mission that I did once...

I make it around 1/12th. Earth diameter: 12,800km; Jupiter diameter: ~140,000km

I thought they more often used volume or mass to compare planet sizes?

In that case, it is about 1,300 times the volume of Earth, and 318 times more massive.

Great, that's settled, back on topic.

After reading the recent posts about Moho, I'd prefer to have it left out of this update, if it's really that hard to deal with right now. That would mean we have a much higher chance of getting Moho as a new planet in 0.18, plus it'll take plenty of time to finish having fun with the 4 planet system. I've already got plans for many grand tours! Leave Kerbin, come back to Kerbin after a 2 year orbit to sling to Jool Juno-style, use it's gravity to sling to Eve, then maybe Duna, and then a return to Kerbin. And I consider that simple compared to some of the stuff I want to try...

After reading the recent posts about Moho, I'd prefer to have it left out of this update, if it's really that hard to deal with right now. That would mean we have a much higher chance of getting Moho as a new planet in 0.18, plus it'll take plenty of time to finish having fun with the 4 planet system. I've already got plans for many grand tours! Leave Kerbin, come back to Kerbin after a 2 year orbit to sling to Jool Juno-style, use it's gravity to sling to Eve, then maybe Duna, and then a return to Kerbin. And I consider that simple compared to some of the stuff I want to try...

And there'll be more planets in 0.18. See this diagram, based off what Nova's told us...

34jti.png

Overall order:

Lava Planet

Eve

-Tiny captured asteroid moon

Kerbin

-Mun

-Minmus

Desert Planet

-Large moon

Gas Planet 1

-Ocean moon

-Ice moon

-Rocky moon

-Bop, small rocky moon

Later updates:

Asteroid belt

Gas Planet 2

-Rings

-Ringed moon

Gas Planet 3

-?

Tiny Ice Planet

-Tiny Ice Moon

Gas Planet 4

-?

Maybe its just perspective but Jool looks a bit small in Nova's images. I always imagined it filling half the moon's sky like the gas giant in avatar

Nice diagram by the way dragonfree97, it really helps visualise what the system will look like

Maybe its just perspective but Jool looks a bit small in Nova's images. I always imagined it filling half the moon's sky like the gas giant in avatar

Nice diagram by the way dragonfree97, it really helps visualise what the system will look like

Thanks! Maybe one of the moons of a different planet will have a view like that.

Hey Nova, just wanted to know...In the screenshots that you posted of the mission with the probodobodyne mod, what mod did you use to cover up the satelite itself (the orange cone) along with the 'capsule' underneath it? Just wanted to know...thanks ^^

Edited by Miza

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but for some reason I expected Ike to be nearly the same size as Duna. I don't know, maybe I just haven't seen enough pictures.

I read somewhere that Duna/Ike is similar to Pluto/Charon in the ratio of the bodies' sizes. So Ike is around maybe a half of Duna in size.

Hey Nova, just wanted to know...In the screenshots that you posted of the mission with the probodyne mod, what mod did you use to cover up the satelite itself (the orange cone) along with the 'capsule' underneath it? Just wanted to know...thanks ^^

He used Silisko Edition 2 Alpha . Click here if you want to go to Silisko Industries Thread.[h=2][/h]

I didn't say unpowered, but I should have been more specific. If you plan a series of (possibly powered) slingshots around the moons into a 200-300km pass by Jool, and do a burn at the Pe, then you should be able to achieve the necessary velocity with less dv used, if planned properly.

Unpowered slingshots past the Moons will either increase velocity, making harder to do that efficient low-pass against Jool that you were intending to attempt, or rob velocity from you, forcing you to make it back up when you go back to Jool.

If you have any fuel when you're going racing through the Moons' SOIs, you're better off saving it for when you head back to that low pass over Jool, where you're moving the fastest, and the Oberth Effect can most efficiently turn that delta-V into kinetic energy in your departure. Nothing that orbits Jool will come even remotely close to that benefit

And there'll be more planets in 0.18. See this diagram, based off what Nova's told us...

34jti.png

Overall order:

Lava Planet

Eve

-Tiny captured asteroid moon

Kerbin

-Mun

-Minmus

Desert Planet

-Large moon

Gas Planet 1

-Ocean moon

-Ice moon

-Rocky moon

-Bop, small rocky moon

Later updates:

Asteroid belt

Gas Planet 2

-Rings

-Ringed moon

Gas Planet 3

-?

Tiny Ice Planet

-Tiny Ice Moon

Gas Planet 4

-?

Very cool! The planet designs certainly have stayed pretty close to what Nova originally intended it seems. So that image could be a pretty accurate guess at the next lot of planets. Im very interested in how theyll manage to implement the asteroid field... That could be one amazing addition, having to choose between flying though an asteroid field to reach further out planets, or doing some crazy/difficult non-parallel orbit (relative to the solar system 'plane' that is) in order to go around/over the asteroid field.

Id say there should be at least one more major rock planet beyond the asteroid field though, not just the tiny little ice planet. Just seems a bit unbalanced with all the gas giants.

About maths, 99.9999999% of all KSP Players use MechJeb.

I don't use it.

Moho is tidally locked to Kerbol. One side is always quite cool.

No it [EDIT: it refers to the unspoken, but alluded to, dark side that is always cool per Serratus's statement] isn't...

No.

It's not that complicated. You can define a surface temperature for any celestial body, which only takes effect with an atmosphere. Neither density nor speed factor into it, the heat just rises according to a pre-defined curve unique to each planet as you go lower and lower.

I also haven't posted any pictures of it because it's utterly hideous at the moment. We just don't have time to polish it up, the lava that was present in the past was unacceptably broken, and we need numerous modifications to enable things like temperature variation on the near and far side, along with differences in ambient light, to name a few.

And such is not even that far from being realistic, given that atmospheric planets with long sidereal periods and high temperatures can have nearly uniform global temperatures. Venus is a prime example of such.

Edited by willitstimothy

And such is not even that far from being realistic, given that atmospheric planets with long sidereal periods and high temperatures can have nearly uniform global temperatures. Venus is a prime example of such.

Actually, the reason that Venus is near the same temperature day or night (and Earth) is the thick atmosphere and the clouds, which hold heat in.

I'm experimenting with an exoplanet lander, and I can get it to touchdown on Kerbin intact, but it seems to stick to the ground and struggles to takeoff again. I tested the stage on the pad and it's got a TWR good enough to reach orbit, so it's not the ship. Is this the "sticky pad" issue I've read about? I thought that had been fixed in a previous version? Or is it an issue we'll have to worry about on those new planets? Is there a fix other than sticking a dummy decoupler on the bottom of the stage (as those old threads suggested)?

Moho is tidally locked to Kerbol. One side is always quite cool.

No it isn't...

Yeah it's tidally locked.

Charr is in fact tidally locked. Half of the planet is molten lava, the other half is barren volcanic wasteland.

"The Lump" aka Gilly, is 26 km in diameter.