[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Also thinking perhaps some sort of camera should be built into the game (unless we get a ground radar to shows distance and ideally inclination), because if we want to fly start to end without ever leaving the cockpit, landing is going to be pretty much impossible without using an autopilot that does know where the ground is. Or we are going to have to get more creative in our landers so that the windows face down (which would actually be a fantastic way to land).

You still wouldn't be able to do that all the time. For example in atmospheric craft, You need access to parts right-click menus. And AFAIK, it only works from outside (I base this on the fact that there were no indicators of specific parts in cockpit view so far)...

I see no evidence that they changed the plugin code, so it might work.

The only thing that has to be done is updating the TRANS option in the orbital operations box.

I havent seen any new parts yet though :/

In the planning they stated to introduce several new parts in 0.17

Have you not seen the adapters and little SRB's?

I don't think transitions from IVA to EVA are technically possible (right now), because the IVA doesn't take place inside your rocket. Instead, I think they said it is using its own worldspace or something, where as the EVA creates a new ship inside the normal world space. For a transition to work, the interiors would have to be part of the 3rd person rocket itself (hollow, but with modeled interiors that the kerbal ships could navigate). If they were ever going to do this, I imagine the rockets would need to be made much larger than they are now to accommodate the details (of course they could just scale the entire world and we would never notice).

I don't think transitions from IVA to EVA are technically possible (right now), because the IVA doesn't take place inside your rocket. Instead, I think they said it is using its own worldspace or something, where as the EVA creates a new ship inside the normal world space. For a transition to work, the interiors would have to be part of the 3rd person rocket itself (hollow, but with modeled interiors that the kerbal ships could navigate). If they were ever going to do this, I imagine the rockets would need to be made much larger than they are now to accommodate the details (of course they could just scale the entire world and we would never notice).

They did exactly that with the release of KSP 1.6... The reason the old Mk1 pod was put out of service was because all the part sizes had to be redone in order for rockets to make more proportional sense to how big the Kerbals actually are. In addition, some of the first tests of the pod interiors are actually already in 1.6. There have been more than a few people around the forums who've stumbled upon the interiors of the Mk1 and 3 pods.

I'd love to see more frequent releases with single features added, like planets come right when they've been finished, and IVAs are released when they're finished. I think this would relieve a lot of impatience among the community. What I'm really thinking of is weekly snapshots like Mojang does, but it's your game, release it as you will!

I think the problem with a lot of that is that most of the features that are added now are very interconnected. Once the game is out of alpha/beta I imagine adding stuff and thus doing weekly snapshots is much easier. Remember, Mojang only started with the weekly snapshots after it came out of beta.

The whole point of the snapshots is to give the fans a taste of the features. Also, they're "download at your own risk", because they're so buggy.

They used to do that. They would publish experimental releases (with the caveat that it will be buggy) but then the forum would explode with angry posts along the lines of 'How dare you give us this buggy c**p and breaking MY game! I paid for this game and you give me this! Worst game ever!' etc...

It was around 0.14 i think... There was a whole lot of posts repeating the same complaints over and over. Legitimate, well composed bug reports would get lost in the noise of useless complaints. It became counterproductive so the devs recruited a small group of testers to test the experimentals and the rest of us have to wait until the update is finished.

The forum did that? I don't remember anything like that...

I wasn't really active around those times, though.

Before 0.14 X4 the experimentals were public. But because of some bugs some players raged and bad things happened..

Edited by XilentDude