[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

With regards to the supposed 0.17 picture arnt you not supposed to see that many stars when your on the light side of a celestial body because you can on that pic, and they did have a problem with the new star map showing up brighly in the day. also a comparison, this is the current one.

Yeah the stars on the daylight side of celestial bodies kind of hurts my eyes. It looks great on the dark side, but to see it on the day side after every single Apollo astronaut says you can't see stars on the daylight side of Earth or the Moon without optics. It just goes against the principles of the way the eye works... Anyway, they're not going to change it, so we just have to make the best of it.

Meh, release speculation is pointless. Nobody here knows when it is coming out and if they do they aren't going to tell you just because you ask.

I'm really looking forward to landing on planets with higher gravity. The light landers I build for landing on moons sort of fall apart on Kerbin, should be fun to try and build something tough enough to land on a planet with higher gravity and then get it back into orbit.

I'm really looking forward to landing on planets with higher gravity. The light landers I build for landing on moons sort of fall apart on Kerbin, should be fun to try and build something tough enough to land on a planet with higher gravity and then get it back into orbit.

Power landing on kerbin is tough because the drag tries to flip you over, and the gravity is quite high, If someone doesn't come up with a drag solution I'll just have to put my Eve landing legs on the top.

It won't be released while people ask about the release date, every request adds one day to the date :)

...SHUT DOWN TEH FORUMS! WE CAN'T LET THE DATE INCREASE ANY FURTHER :P

significantly more on topic: iv'e recently been designing small probes (manned and unmanned) using stock parts and the MMI satellite pack so my plan is to land on the moons FIRST, mainly because chances are it will be alot easier with them having lower gravity, and no atmosphere and what not. mainly using the MMI parts to make the craft as lightweight as possible because the lander is powered by ONE, count em, ONE ion engine. the interplanetary injection stage has 4 ion engines as well so i don't need to worry about fuel at the cost of having it take absolutely forever to get into jool's gravity. ( it has the most moons so it would make the most sense in my mission to go there.) also, theoretically speaking, it's so lightweight it may be able to land on multiple moon's in one mission, maybe even all of them in jool's orbit, as long as one of them isn't the water moon :P

Power landing on kerbin is tough because the drag tries to flip you over, and the gravity is quite high, If someone doesn't come up with a drag solution I'll just have to put my Eve landing legs on the top.

Solution, use "backwards" fins on your lander that separate after landing. To do this your lift stage needs more forward control surfaces than you lander has, it works pretty well actually.

If you use mods mount the fins on rotators from damned robotics, turn them around before you re-enter atmo, problem solved...

You could also just bring an extra chute with you. If there is enough atmosphere to flip you over, there is enough atmosphere for the chute to flip you back. It's like the worlds best auto pilot. It will even save you gas while it keeps you from nosediving. If you get a thinner atmosphere, it might be worth bringing a few extras.

You could also just bring an extra chute with you. If there is enough atmosphere to flip you over, there is enough atmosphere for the chute to flip you back. It's like the worlds best auto pilot. It will even save you gas while it keeps you from nosediving. If you get a thinner atmosphere, it might be worth bringing a few extras.

Good point, even a small chute should be able to help right your ship and get you pointed in the right direction.

False, Scott manley tried this. It kinda worked, and was able to regain control at much lower speeds...but he used ALOT of chutes.

I don't remember, did I ever release the probodobodyne drogue chute? It works nicely.

I tried it and it works nicely indeed. I modified some parameters, like deployAltitude and minAirPressureToOpen, and it's a perfect drogue chute.

Scott attached many of his chutes around the center of mass of his lander, plus the stock chutes have way to much drag so it tears the ship apart.