[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

If we get a "deep" space engine, I guess that it will be very low trust and lots of fuel for it. (Fuel that is not compatible with other engines) If they add a engine with lots of thrust and low fuel consumption, wouldn't it make all other engines redundant?

Nope. Harv's planning on an Alcubierre Drive-type warp engine. Problem is, you have to be out of the solar system to use it. The distorted spacetime will tear the ship to shreds if there's too many massive objects around.

There's always a catch.

If we get a "deep" space engine, I guess that it will be very low trust and lots of fuel for it. (Fuel that is not compatible with other engines) If they add a engine with lots of thrust and low fuel consumption, wouldn't it make all other engines redundant?
Well not Realy, for short mun landing you wouldn't use something 10x advanced/expensive.. You'll use the good old chemical rockets..

We might keep Chemical rockets with, i don't know D instead of H for fuel.. A lot heavier fuel, but bulkier engines with high thrust and relative lower consumption..

If we get ion engines, thy will be very low thrust and very low fuel consumption.. With solar panels necessary on board.. only work in vacuum..

Nuclear thermal rockets.. might be used for boosters.. i don't know..

All have its advantages, but also disadvantages..

I personally root for Bipropelant tech..

Edited by Atimed

Well I mean, we already have a low thrust/high efficiency engine, that little landing one.

But there is a possibility of them adding a lower thrust one with "special" fuel that makes it ultra efficient.

I'm just personally hoping they adding empty pods than allowing to control the ship when you decouple it.

Nope. Harv's planning on an Alcubierre Drive-type warp engine. Problem is, you have to be out of the solar system to use it. The distorted spacetime will tear the ship to shreds if there's too many massive objects around.

There's always a catch.

So its only use will be for "jumping" to other star systems.. But wouldn't it be odd that you go from chemical rockets go to warp drives, and noting in between?

Well I mean, we already have a low thrust/high efficiency engine, that little landing one.

But there is a possibility of them adding a lower thrust one with "special" fuel that makes it ultra efficient.

I'm just personally hoping they adding empty pods than allowing to control the ship when you decouple it.

Me to, i wanna do a Apollo style mission..

Just for comparison the FT-909 is around 400, a average ion engine would have around 3000 or more..

Edited by Atimed

I have recently created the current smallest object in the solar system, a potato-like moon with only 0.005g at the surface.

Here's me performing a sick jump with one of Tosh's rovers:

uvbfL.jpg

icOQk.jpg

xRpyd.png

BYt3Z.jpg

klmqU.png

In total, from hitting the small bump, to landing, it took about 6 minutes.

Edited by NovaSilisko

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31123[/ATTACH]

Everyone's saying eve is a planet but based on Novas screenshot from the blue moon of Meander you can see a blue/purple moon which (completely different from Nova's big solar system with Egar and stuff) could be Eve??? JUST SPECULATION

I have recently created the current smallest object in the solar system, a potato-like moon with only 0.005g at the surface.

The tan coloured moon I drew orbiting Meander was based of Nova's screenshot of Meander's moons in map view. Is that the moon you're talking about Nova?

P.S. MS Paint FTW

Wait, you jumped with a rover on a 0.005g moon, and you didn't fly into orbit? (I'm sure this is because of the cart plugin's "gravity compensation" or something :P)

Everyone's saying eve is a planet but based on Novas screenshot from the blue moon of Meander you can see a blue/purple moon which (completely different from Nova's big solar system with Egar and stuff) could be Eve??? JUST SPECULATION

I think Eve was already confirmed to be a planet, and the moon from which Nova's rover jumped should be its own moon (its apparent size is quite big).

Nova, a friend and I were wondering if you plan on releasing the Orbital information for the desert planet before .17 is released. We're doing inteplanetary course calculations and it will help to know where the planets are so on the day of release we're ready. Just a question...

uvbfL.jpg

Must admit that new sun looks pretty cool with it now been a planet 9if that the right term). Which leads me to my question, With all these new planets and gas giant we are soon to be getting (and am assuming working different) to see some epic eclipses?

I understand the game engine carnt really render shadows from body to body with out dire consequences to your computer.

still with the sun been different in my assumption is there any possibility?.

Edited by Omega500
trying to get the spoiler tag to work

Given that we cannot land, in the traditional sense, on the gas giant, could there be parts that let buoyancy take over and float our craft in mid air? I am imagining coming in, deploying chutes and then deploying large balloons that are good for floating on water and suspending yourself in a very thick atmosphere.

...Do we have weak enough engines or should it be just RCS?

At that gravity I'm fairly sure RCS would work.

Also in regards to the electric prop, this seems to be the only realistic way to implement space planes in other atmospheres(unless you use rocket engines), but who says we have to be realistic. I say cheat a bit.

So what orbital velocity is 10m/s? Nice.. .:P

Do we have weak enough engines or should it be just RCS?

Seeing as how "just RCS" is more than enough to land and return from Mun/Minmus, I'm going to say yes.

Here's me performing a sick jump with one of Tosh's rovers:

uvbfL.jpg

icOQk.jpg

xRpyd.png

BYt3Z.jpg

klmqU.png

Awesome! This update should keep me occupied for a while, loving the look of the new planets, Nova you are awesome!