[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Electric (or nuclear) turbofan/ramjet/scramjet could be a realistic option in at least some cases. Haven't there been a number of proposals for an automated Jupiter atmosphere flyer?

Theoretically, if the atmosphere contains a large fraction of combustible gas (Such as methane and hydrogen, which most gas giants do in fact contain), theoretically it would be possible to run a jet engine that carries it's oxidizer on board instead of the fuel.

Yet another reason why a drastic overhaul of the fuel system is necessary, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I have recently created the current smallest object in the solar system, a potato-like moon with only 0.005g at the surface.

Here's me performing a sick jump with one of Tosh's rovers:

uvbfL.jpg

icOQk.jpg

xRpyd.png

BYt3Z.jpg

klmqU.png

In total, from hitting the small bump, to landing, it took about 6 minutes.

Can't wait to de-orbit and then orbit again on EVA. How high can you go just jumping?

Since we know nothing about Charr/Lava planet, the suspense is killing me!

I have to ask though, would it be tidally locked? If so that would mean that the lava side of the planet would be facing Kerbol, and the planet would have a really really cold and dark side, I think that's what tidally locked planets are like.

And since it's a lava planet I presume there would be an atmosphere of somekind, since the volcanoes and such would be spewing gas all the time.

One last question, will Charr resemble Io (Jovian moon) or will it be another type of lava planet (think of what the spore lava planets looked like, even though that might not be possible in real life).

That's all :)

Will Eve's mercury oceans have different properties implemented in-game (ie, liquid mercury is significantly more dense than water) than the oceans found on Kerbin in .17? Or will they (At least for now) act like the water oceans?

Also how large is the spud-moon's SOI?

I might be a slowpoke on this, but has anybody heard if atmospheric heat will be introduced in 0.17? That will completely change the dynamics of the game, it will be insane. And, you know, redesigning the lift system possibly?

And I can't imagine Spud's SOI is very large. I could do some calculations, but I'm very busy ATM :)

I might be a slowpoke on this, but has anybody heard if atmospheric heat will be introduced in 0.17? That will completely change the dynamics of the game, it will be insane. And, you know, redesigning the lift system possibly?

And I can't imagine Spud's SOI is very large. I could do some calculations, but I'm very busy ATM :)

Reentry heat isn't on the list of 0.17 and I haven't seen any devs confirm it, so I'm not sure.

I have to ask though, would it be tidally locked? If so that would mean that the lava side of the planet would be facing Kerbol, and the planet would have a really really cold and dark side, I think that's what tidally locked planets are like.

That would be pretty cool! I saw a documentary or something and someone found a planet orbiting very close to the host star, and it was tidally locked, so one side was lava + hot, the other had ice and was extremely cold (like you said). It would kinda make you land on the dark side if there is no land :D

I tried calculating the gravitational parameter of "Gilly" and got 8.28945 * 10^-3 km^3/s^2

Given: 0.005g at surface at 13km radius

Variables: u = gravitational parameter, g = 9.81 m/s^2, m = vessel mass, M = body mass, G = gravitational constant, r = distance

Calculations:

g on Gilly = 0.005 * 9.81m/s^2 = 0.04905m/s^2

F = ma // Newton's second law

F = GMm/r^2 // Gravitational force

ma = GMm/r^2 // Mashing the two equations together

mg = um/r^2 // Substituting acceleration for gravitational acceleration

g = u/r^2 // Dividing by the mass of the spacecraft

gr^2 = u // Multiplying by r^2

0.04905 * 1/1000 * 13^2 = u // Plugging in numbers, converting surface accel to km/s^2

8.28945 * 10^-3 = u // PROFIT???

Did I get this right, anyone?

EDIT: I just tried calculating the gravitational parameter of Kerbin with this method and got 3531.6, which is pretty close to what's on the wiki :)

EDIT: Fixed, hopefully

Edited by Candre

I tried calculating the gravitational parameter of "Gilly" and got 0.828945?

Given: 0.005g at surface at 13km radius

Variables: u = gravitational parameter, g = 9.81 m/s^2, m = vessel mass, M = body mass, G = gravitational constant, r = distance

Calculations:

g on Gilly = 0.005 * 9.81m/s^2 = 0.04905m/s^2

F = ma // Newton's second law

F = GMm/r^2 // Gravitational force

ma = GMm/r^2 // Mashing the two equations together

mg = um/r^2 // Substituting acceleration for gravitational acceleration

g = u/r^2 // Dividing by the mass of the spacecraft

gr^2 = u // Multiplying by r^2

0.04905 * 13^2 = u // Plugging in numbers

0.828945 = u // PROFIT???

Did I get this right, anyone?

EDIT: I just tried calculating the gravitational parameter of Kerbin with this method and got 3531.6, which is pretty close to what's on the wiki :)

EDIT 2: Derp, Minmus' GP is 4 times smaller, something went wrong

EDIT 3: Fixed?

You're off by a factor of ten. Did you read it wrong from the calculator?