[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Larger bodies are going to be easier to get to due to larger SOIs and thus a greater margin of error in your transfer burn. More distant bodies will be harder, as plane inaccuracies in your trajectory will amplify, the Oberth effect will require that you use more precise burns to get a desired altitude, and that you'll simply need more fuel to get there.

I would put Eve, being a Kerbin-sized object that is relatively close, as one of the easier planets to get to. Possibly Meander, given that it will have a huge SOI, as long as its distance isn't too great. The harder ones will be Charr and the Mars analog, as they'll have small SOIs and/or will be distant.

*Thank you Winston for providing the best name for any small moon ever

So Winston is the one I should curse under my breath when I, inevitably, have a 1997 flashback and get Hanson stuck in my head while trying to land on Bop?

Anybody wants to prepare for interplanetary flights in 0.17, take a look at my challenge over in Challenges: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/17144-In-preparation-for-0-17-simulated-interplanetary-flight-and-return

I reckon if you have a ship and skills to fly that mission, you'll get to any planet in 0.17 and back without serious issues. If that's for some reason not the case Nova, please correct me :)

Wow, that is going to really change everything.... uhhhhhggg so many rockets to redesign.

Thanks for the info semininja. I owe you one.

I know right. It really is up to the game itself to tell us these things, especially when they are essential things for designing your rockets.

They really need to start adding simple tooltips or "Hey! New hotkeys, do this to blabla" when starting the game after an update.

I have recently created the current smallest object in the solar system, a potato-like moon with only 0.005g at the surface.

Here's me performing a sick jump with one of Tosh's rovers:

uvbfL.jpg

icOQk.jpg

xRpyd.png

BYt3Z.jpg

klmqU.png

In total, from hitting the small bump, to landing, it took about 6 minutes.

Looks great! But i must ask, is that lens flare REALLY going to be left in?

It's extremely obtrusive and rough. I won't argue about my distaste for lens flares in general as they are just silly and stupid to intentionally add in games, but at the very least make it softer and more subtle, if a lens flare has to be in the game.

Something more along the lines of this..

blue_sun_lens_flares.jpg

Or this

neg16_1.jpg

NOOO i like it like that! Then again id have to try it ingame for hours for me to really judge something properly. I could like it first, but then dislike it as time goes on.

But I really like the look of it personally.

Makes me curious about how the new atmosphere rendering is gonna be like also.

That's a nice lens flare. It appears to be less obvious which is good because in the past I've had problems looking around with the lens flare in the way.

Yup. I've expressed my frustration before about the fact that the current graphics make Kerbin or a moon completely unspottable over much too wide a slice of the view outside the spacecraft.

Looks great! But i must ask, is that lens flare REALLY going to be left in?

It's extremely obtrusive and rough.

Death to lens flare!

I have recently created the current smallest object in the solar system, a potato-like moon with only 0.005g at the surface.

Here's me performing a sick jump with one of Tosh's rovers:

uvbfL.jpg

icOQk.jpg

xRpyd.png

BYt3Z.jpg

klmqU.png

In total, from hitting the small bump, to landing, it took about 6 minutes.

Are the shadows the rover is casting a new effect? I've never seen them before, but i do have the game at minimum graphics settings.

Scaled space objects are no longer just spheres. The transition is now basically seamless between scaled space and actual terrain

Does that mean it would be technically feasible to do a half shattered planet?