[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

I don't think that's possible

It is but unlikely to occur in real life, and would probably stop after a number of years due to tidal pull.

If you think about it, it's just a rock that is in orbit around the moon, in the same way you put your rocket in orbit around the moon.

Someone has had this argument in its own thread... somewhere.

I used a gravitational slingshot around each planet, but at the gas planet I sacrificed an easier solar escape trajectory for a flyby of its largest moon.

Although, I did jettison the departure stage with 1/5th of its fuel, not realizing that had I kept it, I could have probably done a flyby of -every- planet, or inserted myself into orbit around one of them.

How hard was it to get all that to work out? That looks like a fairly complicated set of maneuvers. Are you using some new instrumentation or was that a seat-of-the-pants trajectory?

Sort of. There's slight (less than one degree) inclination and slight (less than 0.1) eccentricity on all of them, except Kerbin and LavalessPlanet (which is too close to the sun to be seen in this picture)

I'm a little disappointed by this. I think learning how to adjust to sufficiently different orbital inclination/declination periods should come as part and parcel with learning how to get to other planets.

For example, when Minmus was introduced, it taught me, through trial and error, how to properly line up my orbital trajectory up to meet it. I had a lot of fun learning, and I know how to play KSP better now because of it.

Edited by segaprophet

How hard was it to get all that to work out? That looks like a fairly complicated set of maneuvers. Are you using some new instrumentation or was that a seat-of-the-pants trajectory?

Thats what i was thinking =/

Harv WAS making a flight planning system where we could navigate to planets more easily, but it got put on hold. Perhaps its done now and hes planning to surprise us >=]

Edited by TheProdigy

Dumb luck. I was at periapsis on my first flyby, and noticed that the Gas Planet -might- be in the right position for a flyby, so I tried to do so, and got a fairly close pass, then, just a bit before the second encounter, changed my trajectory slightly to bring it in as close as possible without slamming into the atmosphere. You barely need any fuel for trajectory corrections, once you've gotten the brunt of the delta-v out of the way with your main rocket.

Don't you worry about easter eggs, let him worry about blank!

He said a while back that there is one monolith outside of Kerbin's SOI. There are probably going to be other things.

So what happens if you hit the gas giant's atmosphere, does the game treat it as a solid?

I think your ship begins to slow down like in Kerbin's Atmosphere, and your ship doesn't actually blow up until you meet the green part of the planet, which is when the pressure causes your ship to implode.

Don't you worry about easter eggs, let him worry about blank!

He said a while back that there is one monolith outside of Kerbin's SOI. There are probably going to be other things.

He said that there would be at least one secret per planet, too, although I can't remember the place.

are you giong to be able to "Land" on the gas planet or are we going to just get stuck in its atmosphere????

Sorry about this post.... someone already asked.

Edited by FishyFishy13
There is allready a post

are you giong to be able to "Land" on the gas planet or are we going to just get stuck in its atmosphere????

Sorry about this post.... someone already asked.

you cant land on a gas planet but you can fall into the atmosphere until your ship gets crushed. i dont think your ship will survive until you hit the liquid gas layers. but mabe your kerbals will XD.

Well it would be cool if underneath all of the the atmosphere you found a minmus sized planet that you could land on.

Unfortunately for your suggestion, I believe the devs are trying to stick more or less to real science. I don't see any way a moon could exist within a gas giant.

A solid core is plausible. At the very least it doesn't defy science, (we're already talking about FTL drives way down the line.) Although I think (don't quote me on this) the devs said they didn't want to have a gas giant you could go into, because of graphical limitations. Your ship will just get as far down into it as you can, and then you'll be crushed. (And that's pretty realistic.)

you can double check me on this, but, according to what I've seen, a gas giant such as Jupiter or Saturn (and presumably what we will find out there in KSP) would have an atmosphere of gas which would increase in pressure as you go further into it, but compress any gas enough and it becomes liquid and then solid. So, essentially, you could have some sort of ocean (non-water based) at lower altitudes. At that point you could, in theory, have a hybrid spacecraft/submarine (cue engineering nerd gasp) and both fly and swim in a single mission. For more on this, see Ben Bova's Jupiter and Leviathans of Jupiter.

Saturn's Upper cloud deck is ammonia crystals = Pale brown or tan striped

Neptune atmospheric methane absorb red light = Blue

Uranus atmospheric methane gives it a little more green = aquamarine

Wikipedia^

So the big question on my mind what will my little green friends be crashing into

Saturn's Upper cloud deck is ammonia crystals = Pale brown or tan striped

Neptune atmospheric methane absorb red light = Blue

Uranus atmospheric methane gives it a little more green = aquamarine

Wikipedia^

So the big question on my mind what will my little green friends be crashing into

Chlorine, perhaps?

cl_1.jpg

I'm just going to pipe in here for a moment to say how awesome the new update will be... :D I am very much looking forward to doing some nice (one-way) missions to the planets. Thank you to NovaSilisko for showing!