[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

I like the idea of getting back into orbit so that another ship can come pick you up. While establishing an orbit is a fairly expensive maneuver in and of itself, it's still nothing compared to the demands of taking off from an atmosphere.

Also, at first I was dismayed that there are so many atmospheres coming, because that makes it harder to get back. But thinking about it, a ship on an interplanetary mission is going to build up some serious speed on approach, and turning into a fireball in an atmosphere (aerobraking) would be the easiest way to not burn several tuns of rocket fuel trying not to just fly by really quickly. Just try to dip in enough to not be going ridiculously fast, and then fly to wherever it is your going.

And yeah, it would be nice if we had the blogs back. Honestly, I liked the old threads anyway because they are more convenient for the users (and probably the developers too), but mostly I just miss the activity, and knowing what is going on. If we are now testing, then that explains the hush since there would be less to talk about, but I can't imagine we have already been in testing this long. Also, the status thread would indicate that we are still no where close to the stage we are apparently at, so it would be nice if that at least was updated.

Why didn't we have 0.16.1 with fuel bug fixed? I generally don't mind waiting but the problem with 0.16 is it feels rushed, It's got a major bug with fuel consumption and lacks parts to fully complement the parts added. both can be fixed by mods, but both should be fixed by a patch.

Stock release of full 2m parts and no fuel bug would be lovely to tide over till 0.17, mods do wonders but reduce the ease sharing designs.

0.17 looks wonderful and it's nice to know it's in close-testing stage, but it's taking ages due to the amount of content.

Why didn't we have 0.16.1 with fuel bug fixed? I generally don't mind waiting but the problem with 0.16 is it feels rushed, It's got a major bug with fuel consumption and lacks parts to fully complement the parts added. both can be fixed by mods, but both should be fixed by a patch.

Yes, this is exactly ture. It should have been patched immediately but for whatever reason they choose not to. It is so unplayable that I have stopped messing with the game until .17 comes out. I am not going to mod the game just to find a huge bug that should have been officially fixed. It also does not bode well for future patches if they brick the game and refuse to fix it for 2-3 months

Well, the mood changed quickly...

A few pages ago: "oooh nice stuff coming", now: "the game is broken and nobody speaks to us, 0.16 was rushed but I want 0.17 now"...

As for the patch, maybe they wanted to avoid the issues with 0.16, so they needed the new patcher, and it came what, a week ago?

Given that 0.17 is in experimental now, releasing 0.16.1 now would lead to "WHERE'S 0.17 ALREADY" threads anyway.

Personally I've always felt the lack of a release date is a little insulting to the fan base. I could understand why they wouldn't want to have one when the .17 update was first announced, as they had several months of work to do. But at this point, when the update seems to be rather imminent, not having a date just torturers people. It's like showing a dog a bone, but refusing to give it to the dog and putting it back in the box. "Oh you want this? It looks pretty cool, doesn't it? NOPE. You'll get it an indeterminate amount of time later."

Personally I've always felt the lack of a release date is a little insulting to the fan base. I could understand why they wouldn't want to have one when the .17 update was first announced, as they had several months of work to do. But at this point, when the update seems to be rather imminent, not having a date just torturers people. It's like showing a dog a bone, but refusing to give it to the dog and putting it back in the box. "Oh you want this? It looks pretty cool, doesn't it? NOPE. You'll get it an indeterminate amount of time later."

And this is why they don't give release dates. They're damned if the do and damned if they don't. At least if they don't give a date, there's a lot less pissing about when they miss it.

Seeing as this thread is about to go down the path of all the other "When will X be released", you have one chance to get this thread back on topic. Those that wish to continue to lament how Sqaud operates will be shown the door. This is their house, so their rules.

Got it? Good!

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Seriously I completely understand why they don't like to give out dates not because giving deadlines rushes things and they don't turn out as well. Think of it like a project you have for school (only your getting paid for it and if you mess up you can get kicked off the project) when you have dead lines you tend to rush it the closer you get to the dead lines especially when the teacher tells you every day that its due on the 14th (in this example) quallity of the work goes down the closer you get to the dead line because you are trying to cram everything in to the project within the time given and when you forget something the teacher (or fans of this game) go nuts.

Even though the game is in experimental release, it doesn't mean the dev's know when they are releasing it. Some major bugs may come up in the experimental stage that need another weeks work. They tried release dates a while ago, and it just ended up causing more frustration when they missed it.

Hey Nova, or anyone, will the regular non-aerospike 1m engines see any changes to Isp/thrust values? I've built an SSTO that can probably send a 30 ton vehicle to Duna and I want to know if the design will turn out to be version change-proof.

Anyone else have some fuel efficient+reusable interplanetary designs?

To baked_by_oven and Master, don't forget we are playing an incomplete, buggy Alpha, not a finished, polished game, Squads efforts are geared towards improving KSP steadily with each update, bugs are to be expected at this stage, the true debugging process will begin when KSP reaches Beta.

Neomatt, you are right about the mood change, and the patcher will hopefully help Squad avoid the server hammering they experienced with 0.16, 0.15 and 0.14

DGatsby, there used to be release dates, but Squad found them too hard to stick to, and the furor on the forums when the release date slipped was unbelievable, far from an insult, the lack of a date is for the Developers sanity.

Squad are well aware of the large an growing fanbase and the last thing they want is to disappoint the players, so they are working hard and don't always have time to provide updates, they have KSP to work on and family like to attend to as well, the best thing we can do for them is be supportive and patient, KSP 0.17 is coming, no one knows exactly when, but it is coming.

take this as an example, say the devs said they would release 0.17 this week, but on the last day x build testing revealed that moving a certain direction while in one of the new warp modes caused your ship to eat itself, followed by a blue screen crash (completely hypothetical situation). What do you do?

Seriously what would YOU do DGatsby? give your fans a game that you know at some point is gonna break, or just make another x build and test that for a little instead... if its not out yet its for good reason

Release dates were back in .15 and we all know how that turned out... a bunch of people hating on Squad for "lying about the release date" and saying "they were late". Since then they haven't announced release dates.

Edited by swiftgates24
'Cause I'm awesome

Any one got a good plan to get to duna mine might involve a gravity assite via the mun

I got a great gravity assist from the Mun and Kerbin today, I went outside of the Mun's orbit, then on the way back down to Kerbin, caught the Mun's SoI, got the Periapsis down to a good 10 km, burned at the Periapsis (to take advantage of the Oberth Effect), picked up quite a bit of speed, then went into Kerbin's SOI and burned some more. Basically taking sort of a chicane path around the two bodies but travelling in the direction of Kerbin's orbit around Kerbol; I got some major speed going and got my Kerbol Ap up to 50 million km lol. And this was with a really small rocket! No ion engines or anything either.

ETA/deadlines are always missed in computer development, and it can go both ways: the last-minute bugs (and not like the fuel one, more like "it destroys half the persistence files" or something funny as this) or the "uh, thought it would be harder" parts.

So a deadline would lead to 1) dev frustation, because the massive bug is coming just before the deadline, 2) user frustation, because the date was missed (it can be a day or a week, it'll always be the "I TRUSTED YOU" threads and anger on the forums), 3) everyone refreshing the forum/update server and crashing the thing (adding more frustation on both sides).

Seriously, the "when it's done" strategy (if you don't go DNF and wait 13 years :D ) is always preferable for everybody.