Modding a Mod

Kerbinidiel

hi, i hope this is the right section for my request...

i need help to modding a couple of parts of an existing mod

- make one engine more performant

- add the "switching resource" to one tank

if anyone can help me i will explain the specific of what i need

You will probably get a better response in the 'Add-on Discussion' section, but just to point you in the right direction, every part will have a cfg file, usually named parts.cfg. In there you can easily change things like mass, drag and thrust for engines. I am not really a modder, so I am not the one who can give you detailed help. :)

2 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I can help you, but I need to know exactly what you mean.

@Kerbinidiel

thanks!

the mod i mean is "solaris hypernautics"

1- the engines are very low thruster... for a decent thrust i must build 4 of the same engine inline... if is possible i need more power with the same cost of resouces... but if isn't possible the same resource cost... not problem... the engine i need with more power thrust are:

- Q-3 "Positron" Kannae Drive

- Q-2 "Electron" Kannae Drive

- Q-1R "Quark" Kannae Drive

- CH-85R "Omac" Catalytic Hibris Engine

theese engines got a "switch mode" with ad experimental high power thrust... but i not use it for 2 reason: 1- the glow animation is off when this switched mode is active, 2- the power thrust with this swithced mode is crazy high...

my goal is to have theese engine with a decent thrust power but in normal mode

i you can mod the configs, thanks... but i know is a lot of parts... if you can explain how i can reach the goal modifying by myself the configs, for me is the same...

(there is another engine i hope to have with more power thrust... is the stock engine "IX-6315 "Dawn" Electric Propulsion System"... if the modding of this engine is the same of the others... i will do it by myself)

2- inside the solaris hypernautics there are 2 tanks very beautyfull... but they have inside only dust resource... if is possible, i want switch between the many resource we have... like fuels, or food, or water etc... the tanks are:

- Spherical "Corner Pocket" Quarter tank

- Spherical "Eight Ball" Full Tank

there is an awesome mod called "configurable containers"

but it not recognize the solaris hypernautics containers...

than, if is possible use this mod, good... if not, i like to be able to switch like normal switching mode... but if it is not possible too... i need to know how modding the config and calculate how many of a resource i can put inside realistically...

(sorry for my bad english... i hope to have explained it well enough)

Thanks a lot if you can help me!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

You will probably get a better response in the 'Add-on Discussion' section, but just to point you in the right direction, every part will have a cfg file, usually named parts.cfg. In there you can easily change things like mass, drag and thrust for engines. I am not really a modder, so I am not the one who can give you detailed help. :)

i know there are the config files... but i not know what happens when i change one parameter... for a good working engine i not know if i only need change the thrust parameter or the drag too... or mass too or other... for this i asked for help... for understand from anyone more skilled than me with config files

Edited by Kerbinidiel

Moving to Add-on Discussions.

On 10/5/2017 at 9:17 AM, Kerbinidiel said:

i need help to modding a couple of parts of an existing mod

Easy to do.  People do it all the time.  :)

The best way to do this is to install a little mod called "ModuleManager".  If you're running a fair number of mods already, chances are good that you probably already have it installed-- lots of mods use it.  If not, you can just install it yourself.

With ModuleManager installed, all you need to do is to write a little "patch" file with .cfg at the end of its name, using ModuleManager syntax to tweak the values.  The nice thing about this is that since your patch file is separate from the mod that you're tweaking, it's "robust":  even if you later update to a newer version of the mod, it won't wipe out your changes (since they're sitting in your own patch file) and you don't have to do the work all over again.

ModuleManager has links to extensive documentation on its syntax, if you look at its forum thread.  Or, if you like, here's a simple example of a mod that does the same sort of thing that you're doing (nothing special about this mod, lots of mods do this sort of thing, this is just one example):

^ That's a mod that tweaks the mass, thrust, and cost of the Vector engine.  If you'd rather work by example rather than slog through the ModuleManager documentation, you can just download that mod, look at the .cfg file, and make the needed changes to apply to your part instead.

Good luck!  :)

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Moving to Add-on Discussions.

Easy to do.  People do it all the time.  :)

The best way to do this is to install a little mod called "ModuleManager".  If you're running a fair number of mods already, chances are good that you probably already have it installed-- lots of mods use it.  If not, you can just install it yourself.

With ModuleManager installed, all you need to do is to write a little "patch" file with .cfg at the end of its name, using ModuleManager syntax to tweak the values.  The nice thing about this is that since your patch file is separate from the mod that you're tweaking, it's "robust":  even if you later update to a newer version of the mod, it won't wipe out your changes (since they're sitting in your own patch file) and you don't have to do the work all over again.

ModuleManager has links to extensive documentation on its syntax, if you look at its forum thread.  Or, if you like, here's a simple example of a mod that does the same sort of thing that you're doing (nothing special about this mod, lots of mods do this sort of thing, this is just one example):

^ That's a mod that tweaks the mass, thrust, and cost of the Vector engine.  If you'd rather work by example rather than slog through the ModuleManager documentation, you can just download that mod, look at the .cfg file, and make the needed changes to apply to your part instead.

Good luck!  :)

thanks for the suggestion!

i'm not skilled with coding config files... but i will try

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.