macOS users PLEASE READ!

16 minutes ago, tater said:

The application cares where it is located, and on top of that the place it wants to be is not the Applications directory? Yeesh.

Apparently KSP needs to have +w rights on the files in order to "see them" (i'm guessing something on the UMASK - perhaps an Unity issue).

In the /Applications,  usually only the Super User have such rights. 

IMHO the best place for KSP is on ~/Applications. 

5 hours ago, tater said:

The application cares where it is located, and on top of that the place it wants to be is not the Applications directory? Yeesh.

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

Apparently KSP needs to have +w rights on the files in order to "see them" (i'm guessing something on the UMASK - perhaps an Unity issue).

In the /Applications,  usually only the Super User have such rights. 

IMHO the best place for KSP is on ~/Applications. 

Hey, it works for me. Every time I load in a new or update to the game I try it in the /applications folder. About 50/50 on whether or not it works.
I copy and paste the entire folder and it's contents to the root directory  (  /  ) and so far it works 100% of the time.

I wish you all luck in the quest for a solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am predominately a console gamer, but I have an Imac purchased this year. Is KSP playable on mac? I've done some research but I always come across "to play ksp on mac you need to....." which basically always involves gerryrigging and file manipulation.

If anyone could point me in the right direction and the steps to install and play on mac, that would be great.

2 hours ago, LC 44 said:

Hi, I am predominately a console gamer, but I have an Imac purchased this year. Is KSP playable on mac? I've done some research but I always come across "to play ksp on mac you need to....." which basically always involves gerryrigging and file manipulation.

If anyone could point me in the right direction and the steps to install and play on mac, that would be great.

I play pretty heavily modded on a late 2013 iMac (i7). Works great.

The current issue is that apparently the game runs when placed in the root directory. Otherwise it can be run, but you need to open the KSP app (right click, open package), then Contents->MacOS->KSP. Runs perfectly fine.

On 10/5/2017 at 12:08 PM, Darth Badie said:

As some of you may know Apple just released the latest stable version of macOS a few weeks ago, 10.13 High Sierra. There have been reports of KSP as well as other games presenting issues that render them unplayable. If you have not updated your computer to High Sierra and none of the new features are essential for your day-to-day workflow, we strongly suggest you wait for it and stay on Sierra for now. If you have already updated to High Sierra there are a couple recommendations that could help you:

- Run KSP with the -force-opengl argument, here is how you can set the argument on Steam.  For the KSP Store version you can download the shortcut with the argument already set from here. If you need instructions for the GOG version, please let us know.

- Create a partition on your hard drive that uses the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system, move KSP to a directory on that partition and run it from there. Here is how to create partitions

- If you have a recent Time Machine backup from before you installed High Sierra, you can roll back your installation to Sierra (or whatever macOS version you had before). This is how you can do that, option 2

We know that these provisional solutions don't work/apply to everyone, but that's currently all we have found out. You can also help us investigate the issue by posting here your computer specs and log files from when KSP is malfunctioning on High Sierra. Click the Apple logo on the top left, select About This Mac, click the System Report button and hit cmd+S to obtain the system specs. And the log file is KSP.log located in your KSP installation folder.

If you want to read more about

My disks are of course all Mac OS Extended (Journaled). High Sierra is now not even current, Mojave is.

When will you deal with this? Ever?

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a brand new MacBook, my first ever. After reading this thread I am definitely not enthusiastic about trying Kerbal Space Program (Steam) on it. Since I'm new to MacOS I have next to no problem solving skills and it works fine on my Windows machine. So, while playing KSP from the couch sounds tempting, I'm letting this opportunity pass for a while until I'm confident it works right out of the box.

On 12/19/2018 at 5:18 PM, tater said:

When will you deal with this? Ever?

When Apple goes to the verge of bankruptcy. AGAIN. 

Apple is destroying MacOS since Job's death.

3 hours ago, Puddle Jumper said:

I just bought a brand new MacBook, my first ever. After reading this thread I am definitely not enthusiastic about trying Kerbal Space Program (Steam) on it. Since I'm new to MacOS I have next to no problem solving skills and it works fine on my Windows machine. So, while playing KSP from the couch sounds tempting, I'm letting this opportunity pass for a while until I'm confident it works right out of the box.

Use the installer. It works fine. We've been trained to ignore it, but it seems to work. No idea about Steam, I don't do Steam.

33 minutes ago, tater said:

Use the installer. It works fine. We've been trained to ignore it, but it seems to work. No idea about Steam, I don't do Steam.

Thank you, but whether it works on Steam is exactly what I want to know. I bought it on Steam and I use cloud synchronization on it, so I need to use it that way.

12 hours ago, Puddle Jumper said:

Thank you, but whether it works on Steam is exactly what I want to know. I bought it on Steam and I use cloud synchronization on it, so I need to use it that way.

The Steam version works fine for me.  The original issue that this thread is about (graphical stuttering in macOS High Sierra) was specifically in KSP 1.3.  It was fixed in 1.4.

5 hours ago, Wyzard said:

The Steam version works fine for me.  The original issue that this thread is about (graphical stuttering in macOS High Sierra) was specifically in KSP 1.3.  It was fixed in 1.4.

Oké. What kind of setup do you use? I use a MacBook Pro 2018, with Touch Bar and of course the latest MacOS. Oh, and do you use cloud synchronization? Any indication whether using cloud synchronization works alright across MacOS and Windows?

22 hours ago, Puddle Jumper said:

Oké. What kind of setup do you use? I use a MacBook Pro 2018, with Touch Bar and of course the latest MacOS. Oh, and do you use cloud synchronization? Any indication whether using cloud synchronization works alright across MacOS and Windows?

I have a 2016 MBP, which is pretty similar to yours.  I don't play KSP in Windows, but Steam Cloud works fine between Linux and Mac.  (I expect it should be fine for Windows too.  There are some Steam games that don't allow cross-platform cloud sync, but KSP isn't one of them.  And I've never heard of a game allowing sync between some platforms but not others.)

I vaguely remember having to change one of the game's keybindings because the default was problematic on macOS, but again, that was back in the 1.3 days.  I think I learned that the default was changed in a later version, but I don't remember any of the details, including which key it was.

7 hours ago, Wyzard said:

I have a 2016 MBP, which is pretty similar to yours.  I don't play KSP in Windows, but Steam Cloud works fine between Linux and Mac.  (I expect it should be fine for Windows too.  There are some Steam games that don't allow cross-platform cloud sync, but KSP isn't one of them.  And I've never heard of a game allowing sync between some platforms but not others.)

I vaguely remember having to change one of the game's keybindings because the default was problematic on macOS, but again, that was back in the 1.3 days.  I think I learned that the default was changed in a later version, but I don't remember any of the details, including which key it was.

Oké, that all sounds more promising. I already use Steam Cloud on Windows, and Windows only, and that works fine. So, well, I might give it a shot after all. :P

On 1/4/2019 at 3:47 PM, Puddle Jumper said:

with Touch Bar

BTW, you'll want to set up the Touch Bar to always show function keys when playing KSP, so that you can use the F5 and F9 keys for quick-save and quick-load.  (Otherwise you can get function keys by holding Fn, assuming you haven't configured Fn to do something different, but that's less convenient.)

In System Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts tab, choose "Function Keys" in the left panel and add KSP.app on the right.  The tricky part is finding KSP.app, since Steam doesn't put games in the Mac's regular Applications folder.  From your home folder, it's in Library, Application Support, Steam, steamapps, common, Kerbal Space Program.

(Also, that Library folder is hidden by default.  Here's how to unhide it so you can get into your Steam files.)

Edited by Wyzard

14 hours ago, Wyzard said:

BTW, you'll want to set up the Touch Bar to always show function keys when playing KSP, so that you can use the F5 and F9 keys for quick-save and quick-load.  (Otherwise you can get function keys by holding Fn, assuming you haven't configured Fn to do something different, but that's less convenient.)

In System Preferences, Keyboard, Shortcuts tab, choose "Function Keys" in the left panel and add KSP.app on the right.  The tricky part is finding KSP.app, since Steam doesn't put games in the Mac's regular Applications folder.  From your home folder, it's in Library, Application Support, Steam, steamapps, common, Kerbal Space Program.

(Also, that Library folder is hidden by default.  Here's how to unhide it so you can get into your Steam files.)

Yes, already figured that one out. Thank you guys for your help!

Holidays are over though, so don't hold your breath waiting for me to try things out. :P

• 4 weeks later...

My problem was the wouldn't fully load the game yet the force open wouldn't work, this is all part of Apple's virus prevention software and can easily be bypassed

The Quick easy fix is to:

step 1

Install KSP with the zip, by dragging the game folder in applications

step 2

Hold down command and drag the KSP application to your desktop, then command drag it back (must be command dragged as you need to move it not make an alias)

Step 3

Open game and play normally

5 hours ago, Thelizard said:

My problem was the wouldn't fully load the game yet the force open wouldn't work, this is all part of Apple's virus prevention software and can easily be bypassed

The Quick easy fix is to:

step 1

Install KSP with the zip, by dragging the game folder in applications

step 2

Hold down command and drag the KSP application to your desktop, then command drag it back (must be command dragged as you need to move it not make an alias)

Step 3

Open game and play normally

I usually deploy my games on ~/Applications . I can run the programs with full R/W accesses to the DLLs (don't ask, but KSP don't load on a R/O filesystem! the DLL must be writable by the running user), and Apple don't bothers me on security issues.

• 5 months later...

Tried both ways, did not work for me. I have downloaded this game five times so far (and counting), and have encountered the "black loading screen" issue three of those times. This is getting to the point where I don't know if I should just delete every KSP related file I have and start over. I think I'll go do that right now.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:19 PM, jUMPSu1t said:

Tried both ways, did not work for me. I have downloaded this game five times so far (and counting), and have encountered the "black loading screen" issue three of those times. This is getting to the point where I don't know if I should just delete every KSP related file I have and start over. I think I'll go do that right now.

I use Steam that keeps things tight for me. In another thread, I read someone fixing the problem by downloading the PKG file.

• 4 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Single Source said:

Still having this issue. UGH. 

Latest OS. Steam. Mid load crash. 

Have tried all of the above, nothing seems to be working. 

Find and publish the unity log. Use the MacOS Console tool to easily find it (open spotlight, type Console). On Console,  look for Unity and inside you will find the log.

Publish it on Dropbox or similar and post the link here. 

On 8/22/2019 at 6:56 PM, Single Source said:

Still having this issue. UGH. 

Latest OS. Steam. Mid load crash.

This thread is about a graphics glitch in KSP 1.3 that was fixed in 1.4.  It sounds like your problem is something entirely different, so it's probably more appropriate to post it as a separate support thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Squad and everyone,

To improve on the KSPOGL.command file, I've updated it to this.  The change allows users to rename their KSP folder (e.,g., "KSP_1.7.3") or move it elsewhere.  That may be what was blocking a few from being able to run it properly.

Make sure you put the KSPOGL.command file inside your main KSP folder and directly beside the KSP.app bundle.

#!/bin/bash
APPDIR=$(dirname "$0")
"$APPDIR/KSP.app/Contents/MacOS/KSP" -force-opengl

On 10/8/2017 at 4:08 PM, Samssonart said:

We're going to need to use the terminal a bit, hope you're comfortable with that. Open a terminal window and type 'cd '(notice there's a space after the d) after that, drag and drop your KSP folder to the terminal window and press enter. 
Next type (or copy and paste) thse two commands in that order: 

cd KSP.app/Contents/MacOS
./KSP -force-opengl

I've tried this and didn't work for me. I run Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6. Wouldn't know if that makes any difference. KSP worked for me before the update though. Screen is stuck on loading screen. Waited once for 15 minutes for it to load everything but apart from the pictures, nothing changed. I don't use any mods either, so i am just running KSP as it comes.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

On 10/8/2017 at 4:08 PM, Samssonart said:

We're going to need to use the terminal a bit, hope you're comfortable with that. Open a terminal window and type 'cd '(notice there's a space after the d) after that, drag and drop your KSP folder to the terminal window and press enter. 
Next type (or copy and paste) thse two commands in that order: 

cd KSP.app/Contents/MacOS
./KSP -force-opengl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.