KSP Weekly: The Martian Race

SQUAD

On 10/7/2017 at 5:44 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

We don’t know the flight profile of the original Sputnik either. They may not have been able to restart engines, and probably didn’t want a coast phase either. Didnt the original Sputnik launch hot-fire the second stage?

Second stage? what about ullage? 

It was like they just put a metal beach ball on a missile with strap on boosters.

Edited by DeltaDizzy
NINJAD BY A PANDA

3 hours ago, Swacer said:

Another week, no date for Console release.

Man, I wish my job just gave me an unlimited due date on work.... I'd be fired if I pulled this week after week.

Imagine if you just turned in work that wasn’t complete and didn’t function. Especially when your job was to clean up after someone who did exactly that, before you...

Edited by fourfa

55 minutes ago, fourfa said:

Imagine if you just turned in work that wasn’t complete and didn’t function. Especially when your job was to clean up after someone who did exactly that, before you...

You're right, and typically when a company screws up so badly, they do something to make up for putting it to the customer.

Squad on the other hand, has done nothing to repay the customers who purchased the half ass first version.  No Discount on something else, no partial refund, literally they have gotten away scott free for really messing up. 

But I guess a year worth the fixing with no end date..that fixes everything, right?

I feel some of you treat Squad with the mentality of going to McDonalds, you make an order, they screw it up entirely, but you tell them "its ok, you tried"

Edited by Swacer

@Swacer  squad has nothing left to repay its customers, for me (at least) i've received far more than i ever payed for!

• appreciation that game devs CAN make accurate simulators fun, and can continue to grow a project they obviously love (without resorting to milking it for every cent like some other companies..)
  • an unexpected lesson in orbital mechanics
  • an introduction to, and deeper understanding of, aerodynamics (still cant decide if newton beats bernoulli for lift though..)
  • a keen interest in the history of space flight (from horseback to the moon in only a lifetime?! wow!)
  • rekindled passion for physics and the sciences of space
  • hope for the greater future for mankind (thanks Elon!)

Even if the hamburger that squad serves up is a little messy from time to time, it still tastes great :P 

16 hours ago, stibbons said:

What makes you think they don't have a due date?

What makes you think they do?

18 hours ago, Blasty McBlastblast said:

@Swacer  squad has nothing left to repay its customers, for me (at least) i've received far more than i ever payed for!

• appreciation that game devs CAN make accurate simulators fun, and can continue to grow a project they obviously love (without resorting to milking it for every cent like some other companies..)
  • an unexpected lesson in orbital mechanics
  • an introduction to, and deeper understanding of, aerodynamics (still cant decide if newton beats bernoulli for lift though..)
  • a keen interest in the history of space flight (from horseback to the moon in only a lifetime?! wow!)
  • rekindled passion for physics and the sciences of space
  • hope for the greater future for mankind (thanks Elon!)

Even if the hamburger that squad serves up is a little messy from time to time, it still tastes great :P 

Maybe i would feel the same if I had a playable game...but 15 months after purchase...adn I still have nothing.

4 hours ago, Swacer said:

Maybe i would feel the same if I had a playable game...but 15 months after purchase...adn I still have nothing.

I agree with you there. I actually got a bit of progress way back when I had a refueling station on Minmus with a surface to orbit fuel ferry for my spaceplanes. But one day I saved my game, turned off the Xbox for the night, and the next morning it was gone. This was about 13 months ago, and KSP has long since been shelved, taking up space on my HDD.

Truthfully, I don't know why I'm still waiting, holding out hope that we'll see an update. After at least a year, you'd think we'd see something...

Edited by LegendaryAce

I agree with the console complaints. I have been positive and optimistic for a really long time. The game launched on consoles like what, 15 months ago? I'm sure they will eventually do it. I personally have lost most interest or excitement in the game but check back here once and a while out of curiosity. I think the support for the pc version is pretty great and I can see why that fan base defends Squad so much. I think I'm waiting for the day I open the latest KSP weekly and it reads "In console news ..... We got yo money suckers!!!" Lol. I spent like 30 or 40 bucks (I don't remember now) on the game so not the end of the world. I guess this is the kind of turn around you get when there is no pressure to get it done. If there was any negative media coverage whatsoever on how the console release has went or some pressure of refunding x-number of dollars in console purchases it would be a different story I'm sure. Certainly would of lit a fire under someone's chair. I hope the funds from the console purchases have kept the gears at Squad oiled and helped finance the expansion of the working version. If my money helped towards that I am glad to chip in.

I agree that things should have been handled better regarding the console version. That being said, it took them, what, a year to make the broken console version? Sure, they're working with a more experienced console team now, but they started over from scratch. And the new team, Blitworks, didn't start from scratch 15 months ago.

I'm not saying I think people should be cutting anyone some slack, but software development takes a lot of time to get right. People have every right to be upset, but I also think some people have unrealistic expectations. This is not me excusing Squad. They could have done more to make people feel better about the whole situation, but it does appear that they are sincerely trying to make working console versions. That just takes time.

I will add that while no customer is to blame for their purchasing decision, in general software purchases (especially video games) has historically been "Buyer Beware" unless some guarantee was expressly conveyed. It is an unpleasant experience when you run into that situation, and companies could (and have) chosen to do better about it, but largely it just results in a customer's unsatisfactory experience and often justified unfavorable opinion of that company. I don't say this to upset anyone, but to hopefully provide more realistic expectations. You can and should want and ask for what you want, within reason, but realistically even reasonable desires often go unrealized.

At this point I guess all any customer can do is wait, give up, or try to get a refund. I have no idea how successful the second or third options will be for anyone, but I'm guessing the first option will result in some amount of enjoyment eventually. I don't recall a time when waiting was fun, though.

The whole thing is rather unpleasant,  and I'm disappointed I haven't been able to share KSP with my friends who only have consoles after talking about it for so long. It's likely that by the time it is ready they will be uninterested in purchasing an older game that as far as they know has had nothing but problems on consoles, but I'm hopeful that the early adopters who took a chance will eventually enjoy what they waited for.

As much as I appreciate the (slightly)more information for the console players, it does seem a bit like rinse and repeat with these weeklies.

How about a few more details of the new control setup. So far all I've seen is screen shots of a very early contextual menu. How about a controller layout?

Or more detail of the options?

Throw us a bone here! If you hadn't realised, we're all practically quivering with anticipation

Some posts have been removed from this thread. 

No one is suppressing the issue of the console versions. There are already two other threads about it right here in public view on this very forum, here and here. Please take that discussion to those other threads, because it does not serve anyone's interests to repeat it all for a third time in this thread. It is off-topic here because 1) not everyone on this forum has a console version, 2) not even all the console players would want to see that single subject take over threads about other subjects. 

Posts not relevant to this thread will continue to be removed, and if necessary, we will issue warns. 

12 minutes ago, EBOSHI said:

Hey, Evaluation of KSP on Steam plummeted! What happened?
This is absolutely unacceptable if it is a disturbing action by someone.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/Kerbal_Space_Program/

Have a read through a few of them - it's to do with a certain phrase in the localized Chinese version. Some people aren't happy with how Squad responded to a translation issue. No idea why it's blowing up so much though. Why slag an entire game for the sake of a sentence? 

I'll just add that there are other places open for discussing this - and this thread isn't it. Don't let a few bad reviews make you think the games good reputation is at stake, they'll soon average out with the 35,000 good ones :) 

Edited by Daishi

6 hours ago, NSEP said:

Are all the development features like the Mk1-3 cockpit for the DLC only?

I obviously can't speak for Squad, but I've never seen anything from them to make me believe that any of the new parts being discussed and shown are coming to the base game. Everything appears to be part of the upcoming DLC.

It's not impossible that that could change (but it seems incredibly unlikely); I do believe there will be a base game update alongside the DLC, but I suspect it to be mostly bug fixes and under-the-hood DLC integration code.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:47 PM, EBOSHI said:

Hey, Evaluation of KSP on Steam plummeted! What happened?
This is absolutely unacceptable if it is a disturbing action by someone.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/Kerbal_Space_Program/

It looks lit the bad reviews are to do with the chinese version being incorectly translated, and somthing to do with mysoginists...... really confusing, id assumed bird would be more about selling out to take 2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.