Lovin' The Orville

Just Jim

So... The Orville...

It's been 5 episodes now, and I have to admit, I'm loving it so far!

It's campy, silly, sometimes a little crude, the science and physics don't make much sense... and also has some surprisingly serious moments. Everything I love in a sci-fi series. I don't care if the engine loop things make no sense... the ship itself is beautiful. The characters are really memorable right from the start... and again, Seth doesn't seem the bit afraid to dive head-first into the deep end of Campy... which anyone who's read my stuff knows I love!

So I'm wondering if anyone else has been watching, and what y'all think so far.

Anyone else as hooked as I am?  :)

20 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Third episode wasn't just good for that show it was damn good Star Trek.

Agreed! That got really serious really fast.

I don't want to give it away and spoil it for anyone, but whether you agree with the outcome or not, I really admire Seth for having the guts to go there... :wink:

I thought the first episode was a little (lot) weak. Stuck with it because I realize they had to establish what the show was about and who the characters were. Each episode is getting stronger. The last couple I've really enjoyed and I am now looking forward to the next.

Campy or not it is fun and that is more than I can say of the latest ST movies. I wish they (ST) would hire scifi people instead of action movie. How many times do we have to watch the Enterprise get demolished so they can roll out a new one. 

Wait - idea for an Orville episode... a ground hog day homage where they destroy the ship in every conceivable way. Then restart the day.  Would be fun. Bonus they can use all the stupid bad physics they want and I won't complain.

2 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

The last couple I've really enjoyed and I am now looking forward to the next.

Bonus they can use all the stupid bad physics they want and I won't complain.

Agreed... and the newest episode, "Pria"... without giving it away, the first couple minutes were great! All I could think is:

"You're gonna do what???"

And at that point I was so caught up in the moment I didn't give a Kraken's krap about the physics, or whether it was possible... It was just one of the most exciting and fun opening sequences I've seen in a long, long time!  :D

Edited by Just Jim

Pria was good from start to finish. Loved the twist at the end. Loved how we didn't have a Picard wrestling with the decision. This was more Kirk reprogramming the test so he could win. 

As for physics and reality in general, I can suspend both for a good story and a fun view. The Star Wars movies come to mind here. Orville tells you up front it is a campy dramedy (sp?). I'm OK with that. 

@linuxgurugamer, Orville is a Fox network show. Back episodes are probably on their website.

Wife and I watched the first two episodes last night. Pretty amusing. It's like Star Trek meets The Office. Seth MacFarlane woke up one morning and thought, "Gee, I wish I could have starred in Star Trek. Hey, wait a minute. I've made a couple boatloads of money, I've got some cred with the studios. I'll just make my own Star Trek and star in it!"

Why they are not afraid that Alara will by accident puncture the hull?

About the 3rd episode. As their species had evolved into a mono-gender one, they all are technically hermaphrodites, not males, so the problem looks farfetched.

When the sky cupola gets opened in the generation ship, why the villagers do not fall unconscious or vomit? This is like falling into abyss for them.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... that last one (Krill) was good! And it looks like we have 7 more episodes to come!!!

So far so good... I hope this gets some traction, and doesn't end up like Firefly.

On 10/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, kerbiloid said:

Why they are not afraid that Alara will by accident puncture the hull?

That would be funny... I wouldn't be surprised if she did by accident one of these episodes.

On 10/8/2017 at 1:33 PM, Red Shirt said:

Pria was good from start to finish. Loved the twist at the end. Loved how we didn't have a Picard wrestling with the decision. This was more Kirk reprogramming the test so he could win. 

Agreed! It was cold... and I loved it!!!

On 10/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, TheSaint said:

Hey, wait a minute. I've made a couple boatloads of money, I've got some cred with the studios. I'll just make my own Star Trek and star in it!"

Come on... admit it, you would too if you were him.... (and so would I)  :)

4 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Come on... admit it, you would too if you were him.... (and so would I)  :)

Oh, no, thank you. I don't have the slightest urge to work in front of the camera, I've seen what it can do to you. If I were to do anything in Hollywood I would write screenplays for a living. But even to do that you have to be willing to take something that you love and cherish and be willing to hand it over to people who are going to butcher it. Like offering your children to Molech. No, I am happy being a simple country bumpkin. :)

8 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Oh, no, thank you. I don't have the slightest urge to work in front of the camera, I've seen what it can do to you. If I were to do anything in Hollywood I would write screenplays for a living. But even to do that you have to be willing to take something that you love and cherish and be willing to hand it over to people who are going to butcher it. Like offering your children to Molech. No, I am happy being a simple country bumpkin. :)

Understood! :wink:

I'm a big ol' showoff, and have no problems being in front of a camera... other than my back... can't do any running around anymore. lol.

But I agree, I would be super hesitant of handing Emiko Station over to anyone... not that it's going to happen. But when I look at it from that perspective, I do have to agree. Now Seth looks like he has a lot of control over The Orville, so good for him... but I would definitely be a royal pain-in-the-butt about creative control, and not letting anyone butcher Emiko. It would not be an easy decision... 

Minor spoiler from episode 6 (Krill)

Spoiler

Mercer: Alara, open the hailing channel!

*Waits for 1 second.*

Mercer: Attention Krill ship, this is the USS...

Alara interrupts: Oh, oh, I haven't done it yet.

Loved that part.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 4:53 PM, Shpaget said:

Minor spoiler from episode 6 (Krill)

Hide contents

Mercer: Alara, open the hailing channel!

*Waits for 1 second.*

Mercer: Attention Krill ship, this is the USS...

Alara interrupts: Oh, oh, I haven't done it yet.

Loved that part.

Agreed! I would have LOVED... and paid good money... to have seen Uhura do it just once!  :D

"Mom. Mom. Mommy. Mom."  I laughed out loud.

Yeah... that was an amazing episode...

Spoiler

Dr. McCoy she ain't... not when the kids are involved!!!  :mad:

Edited by Just Jim

3 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

"Mom. Mom. Mommy. Mom."  I laughed out loud.

That was hilarious. I did that to my wife once because the kids were Moming her, and now the kids to it to her. I'm truly amazed that woman hasn't murdered me yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.