L.C.A. project v1.2.1 - CLOSE

Alcentar

@Alcentar

I just flew Energia for the first time today.    It was mostly awesome!    I launched the Space plane you built in your ship files that came with the mod.   I haven't unlocked your parts in my career yet so I wanted to play with it in the sandbox to get a feel for it.

I have done two launches of the same craft file (Energia_LSH)  I have only swapped out the cargo fuel tank for a Life support module of the same mass and size (no changes to the CofG)

A few questions/comments/feedback

1.  I assume you are Using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement?   I ask because I can not do so and parts of the rocket and space plane were flopping around like a fish out of water
  2. are there plans to convert the tanks to Liquid Hydrogen (and then the RD-0120 likewise to Liquid Hydrogen.) ?   I am making a MM file for the engines as I type this but I use B9 Part switch for tanks so I won't be doing any tanks personally.
  3. The Zenit-Energia (Blok-A?) first stage boosters need more separation power on the prebuilt craft files (they immediately collide with each other in the wake of the main rocket.)  So far only 1 of 4 boosters has survived separation because of this.  
  4. it appears that there is something wrong with RealChute/Safechute and your craft files.  The parachutes will not deploy at all.   I am rebuilding the chutes and relaunching (so I can actually recover the boosters!)
  5. Are you using FAR?

Edited by Pappystein
can't spell Energia apparently:)

18 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

are there plans to convert the tanks to Liquid Hydrogen (and then the R-0120 likewise to Liquid Hydrogen.) ?   I am making a MM file for the engines as I type this but I use B9 Part switch for tanks so I won't be doing any tanks personally.

For what it's worth, the CryoTanks mod lets you switch without having to add a MM config.  That's what I've been using (along with an LH2 conversion for the RD-0120, of course).

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

For what it's worth, the CryoTanks mod lets you switch without having to add a MM config.  That's what I've been using (along with an LH2 conversion for the RD-0120, of course).

Another good alternative.   I also had need for AZ50/IRFNA-IV and NTO tanks for Titans and other Hypergolic rockets so B9 makes it easier for me but both work great. 

Edited by Pappystein

On 29.10.2017 at 18:07, MOARdV said:

I made a ModuleManager patch that makes it a little bit easier to build Energia.

slIwAx.jpgjLQyYO.jpg

It adds attach nodes on the side of the E600 tank for the Blok A boosters, it copies the stock Hydraulic Detachment Manifold part to create an "Energia Booster Decoupler", and it adds a side node to the Zenit Block A fuel tank to attach to the decoupler.  The boosters are correctly placed and rotated at +13.5 degrees and -30.0 degrees when using these nodes.

It does not work with symmetry because of a KSP bug, so you have to manually attach each part.  And, because it does not work with symmetry, you have to adjust fuel and engine settings on each booster.

What I find works easiest is:

1) Surface attach the booster fuel tank, add the nose cone, engine, and other parts.  Adjust fuel, engine thrust, gimbal, and autostrut settings.

2) Attach one Energia Booster Decoupler to a node.  Remove the surface-attach fuel tank from step 1.  Node attach it to the decoupler.

3) Alt-select the decoupler so you clone the decoupler + Block A.  Attach to the next side node.  Repeat for the other side of the craft.

ModuleManager config (place somewhere in GameData) on DropBox.  Config is public domain, so anyone may do anything with it.

No guarantees / no warranty.  It worked for me,. :) but I also have modified my installation a lot.

It's interesting, although on the other hand it's easier to assemble one side block and then put it all over the rocket, it's easier for me. :)

On 30.10.2017 at 6:49 PM, Pappystein said:

@Alcentar

I just flew Energia for the first time today.    It was mostly awesome!    I launched the Space plane you built in your ship files that came with the mod.   I haven't unlocked your parts in my career yet so I wanted to play with it in the sandbox to get a feel for it.

I have done two launches of the same craft file (Energia_LSH)  I have only swapped out the cargo fuel tank for a Life support module of the same mass and size (no changes to the CofG)

A few questions/comments/feedback

1.  I assume you are Using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement?   I ask because I can not do so and parts of the rocket and space plane were flopping around like a fish out of water
  2. are there plans to convert the tanks to Liquid Hydrogen (and then the RD-0120 likewise to Liquid Hydrogen.) ?   I am making a MM file for the engines as I type this but I use B9 Part switch for tanks so I won't be doing any tanks personally.
  3. The Zenit-Energia (Blok-A?) first stage boosters need more separation power on the prebuilt craft files (they immediately collide with each other in the wake of the main rocket.)  So far only 1 of 4 boosters has survived separation because of this.  
  4. it appears that there is something wrong with RealChute/Safechute and your craft files.  The parachutes will not deploy at all.   I am rebuilding the chutes and relaunching (so I can actually recover the boosters!)
  5. Are you using FAR?

1. Yes, I use KJR, it should be for everyone regardless of the mods used.

2. No plans, it's just stock parts.

3. This is my headache, in real life they were a single unit in the blocks, so far I can not fix it.

4. I do not know how RealChute works.

5. No, FAR is only needed for RSS / RO, I do not see the point of doing this in the stock.

On 31.10.2017 at 2:36 AM, Abpilot said:

Again when i land a booster it gets killed to death by the kraken..WONT SOMEONE HELP ME!!!

If you use 1.3.3, then try to delete DataBase.cfg from the KSP folder, it will recover itself and can fix the errors, it works fine for me.

38 minutes ago, Alcentar said:

It's interesting, although on the other hand it's easier to assemble one side block and then put it all over the rocket, it's easier for me.

This works in a similar way, but it allows you to place the boosters in the correct location for the Energia configuration, without having to be precise rotating parts to align correctly.

7 hours ago, Alcentar said:

It's interesting, although on the other hand it's easier to assemble one side block and then put it all over the rocket, it's easier for me. :)

3. This is my headache, in real life they were a single unit in the blocks, so far I can not fix it.

4. I do not know how RealChute works.

5. No, FAR is only needed for RSS / RO, I do not see the point of doing this in the stock.

If you use 1.3.3, then try to delete DataBase.cfg from the KSP folder, it will recover itself and can fix the errors, it works fine for me.

How does it work for you I’ve done that already when i do that it summons in the ground

Edited by Abpilot

11 hours ago, Alcentar said:

Yeah,.... KJR can cause a lot of issues with a lot of other mods that use DLL files in them.   Not an issue, I just have to "Auto Strut" and then re-save the craft files.   Thanks for that info!

Stock has some real-ish fuels too :)   Community Resource Kit gives you hundreds of choices of fuel loads.  But that is your Choice and I stand by it.... 

Ok so I am not following what you are saying here.  Are you saying that the Separation motors was a Single Rocket on each of the Blok-A parts?   If so that is easy-ish to solve.   MOARdV created the decoupler to make it easier to mount Block-A boosters to the Central Tank of Energia.   Just further modify the Decoupler so that it has a large rocket motor of extremely short thrust (SpaceY has some great examples of this)  Set the Attachment node on Blok-A to that of the COM for a complete Blok-A Booster.   Viola!  when you stage the boosters they will now thrust evenly away from the central tank.  

And yes it is a Headache to do it right.   BTW this is the best LOOKing Energia I have seen in the ~4 years I have been playing this.

Mind you that might require a new model to be made of a low profile Decoupler for the Blok-A boosters....   But it is a thought!

8 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Ok so I am not following what you are saying here.  Are you saying that the Separation motors was a Single Rocket on each of the Blok-A parts?   If so that is easy-ish to solve.   MOARdV created the decoupler to make it easier to mount Block-A boosters to the Central Tank of Energia.   Just further modify the Decoupler so that it has a large rocket motor of extremely short thrust (SpaceY has some great examples of this)  Set the Attachment node on Blok-A to that of the COM for a complete Blok-A Booster.   Viola!  when you stage the boosters they will now thrust evenly away from the central tank.  

And yes it is a Headache to do it right.   BTW this is the best LOOKing Energia I have seen in the ~4 years I have been playing this.

Mind you that might require a new model to be made of a low profile Decoupler for the Blok-A boosters....   But it is a thought!

I meant that the side blocks had one decoupler in real life, so when they were separated they could not collide with each other, maybe I would need to do this as a separate detail and then all problems will be solved, I have already finished two separat motors.

I'm glad that you like it, although I have in my arsenal a real Energia that works in RSS:)

19 hours ago, MOARdV said:

This works in a similar way, but it allows you to place the boosters in the correct location for the Energia configuration, without having to be precise rotating parts to align correctly.

I'm not saying that this is bad, although the side blocks should not be higher, on the level with the RD0120 engines.

3 hours ago, Alcentar said:

Good luck!

Interesting.

dkq2dymew1.png

I want to do something similar for KSP.

qiysevq4qp.png

Actually can i take that back cuz the craft is EXTREAMLY fragile and keeps blowing up when you try to pull up so plz help me

• 3 weeks later...

I've lurked here for years, but never actually posted. But this mod was worth breaking my silence.

I'm honestly surprised this mod isn't more popular. People have been begging for Energia forever (especially in the Cormorant Aeronology and Tantares threads), and this is the most faithful recreation to date. Not only that, it flies like a dream paired with Cormorant Aeronology and Atmospheric Autopilot.

As a fan of the Buran-Energia program, I thank you for your outstanding work.

On 28.11.2017 at 1:21 AM, nosferatu247 said:

I've lurked here for years, but never actually posted. But this mod was worth breaking my silence.

I'm honestly surprised this mod isn't more popular. People have been begging for Energia forever (especially in the Cormorant Aeronology and Tantares threads), and this is the most faithful recreation to date. Not only that, it flies like a dream paired with Cormorant Aeronology and Atmospheric Autopilot.

As a fan of the Buran-Energia program, I thank you for your outstanding work.

Thank you for your kind words, but I believe that the KSP community is already too spoiled by good add-ons, so I stopped development, maybe for a while. :)

• 1 month later...
On 03.12.2017 at 6:42 AM, romanasul said:

Wow, I've been looking for an Energia to use with RO. Does this have RO configs?

I have Energia for RSS, but it's not this add-on, I did not release it,The community clearly does not need this.

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:34 PM, Alcentar said:

I have Energia for RSS, but it's not this add-on, I did not release it,The community clearly does not need this.

BTW the energia/buran mod by DECQ is broken so thus there are no RSS burans/energias out there that are RSS/RO compatible

Hey @Alcentar I have been playing around with the config files with the skipper engine and the jumbo fueltank and have learnt how to make parts on blender, i have even got my own fuel tank. with your permission i would like to know any places i could find highly detailed buran models so i may use it as a buran add on for this mod.