Guide To Game Crashes

A guide to help people know common words used in the explanation of game crashes. (Basically like my TCIS's Guide To Words).

Mono.dll: Mono.dll is KSP's memory. When your game crashes, and you check the 'error' file, roughly half of the time it says 'mono.dll caused an access violation in module mono.dll'. A simple way to fix this is to remove mods, thus relieving the strain on the memory.

Output_log: When your game crashes, it usually produces an output_log. This log shows you the cause of the crash. A great way to get answers for your problem is to upload the log to a file sharing site (Dropbox, pastebin, etc), and then paste the link to it on the forums.

Error: A file that is produced when your game crashes. While the output_log shows what happened when the game crashed, the error_log shows why it happened. This is an example log: mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module mono.dll at 0023:1011940a. 
That shows what caused the crash, and what time it occurred.

Access Violation: Simply put, an access violation is when a part stops working, and causes the game to crash. The '0xc' is an error code.

If you want to suggest something to include, or for me to provide more information on a certain area, then let me know, TCIS

4 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Mono.dll: Mono.dll is KSP's memory.

Mono.dll has nothing to do with memory. None whatsoever... Except perhaps that it runs from RAM, like all other compiled code.
That file is a dynamic library belonging to the mono project, an open-source Common Language Runtime. It interprets (in a fairly loose sense) all code  in KSP and it's mods. Calling it "KSP's memory" is extremely misleading.

A simple way to fix this is to remove mods, thus relieving the strain on the memory.

A simple way to find out if a lack of memory is your problem is to look in your game log. The "System out of memory" message found therein is pretty self-explanatory.
Again, mono.dll has nothing to do with it. Most crashes in KSP will point to this library, no matter the root cause, as almost all of the games code uses it.

A simple way to fix any crash is to read the log file and diagnose the cause of the problem, rather than just removing stuff.

This is an example log: mono.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module mono.dll at 0023:1011940a. 
That shows what caused the crash, and what time it occurred.

0023:1011940a is a memory address, not a time.

Access Violation: Simply put, an access violation is when a part stops working, and causes the game to crash.

An access violation is a memory access error, the application attempted to access a memory address which it does not own or which does not exist.
That message is the OS informing you that the application did something stupid and was terminated. Cross reference: General protection fault, Segmentation fault, Illegal operation.

Output_log: When your game crashes, it usually produces an output_log. This log shows you the cause of the crash. A great way to get answers for your problem is to upload the log to a file sharing site (Dropbox, pastebin, etc), and then paste the link to it on the forums.

This bit is good, keep it. Bin the rest.

On second thought, why bother repeating that which is already stickied at the top of this forum:

If you want to suggest something to include, or for me to provide more information on a certain area, then let me know, TCIS

I suggest you try looking up the terms you are defining before posting, to avoid being so completely wrong, and potentially misleading others.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.