Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

Yeahhhh, i'm not surprised. I had my doubts if relatively small probe can provide enough power to life support system (even that tiny) to keep the "passengers" alive for long. Or keep enough heat inside. Even if malfunction or miscalculation killed plants an insects early, they still wouldn't survive the first night. Likely. But hey - it was first try. Better luck next time :)

8 hours ago, Scotius said:

Or keep enough heat inside.

Makes me wonder if China has any radioisotope heat pellets onboard. The rover seems to, otherwise it should freeze solid at noght, instead it’s at the risk of overheating during the day.

On 1/16/2019 at 11:31 PM, DDE said:

Makes me wonder if China has any radioisotope heat pellets onboard. The rover seems to, otherwise it should freeze solid at noght, instead it’s at the risk of overheating during the day.

the main lander has a russian RTG to provide some power during the night

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DDE said:

Next week's headline: LRO conscripted by NRO, all imagery henceforth classified.

You joke, but it is worth mentioning that NASA requires approval from congress before doing ANYTHING with China, including  these photos. This happens very rarely.

Also, here are the pictures for anyone who can't access twitter:

Spoiler

5JNWNKa.jpg

FuQMqvR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, tater said:

The Soviets lost two nameless Salyuts, one of them in a launch failure. Just sayin’

Edited by DDE

1 hour ago, DDE said:

The Soviets lost two nameless Salyuts, one of them in a launch failure. Just sayin’

Yeah, well, that's the Soviets during the Cold War, back when they could easily control the news of a failure, and when said failure wasn't so much of an issue. It's not so easy with China...