Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

9 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Yeah, well, that's the Soviets during the Cold War, back when they could easily control the news of a failure, and when said failure wasn't so much of an issue. It's not so easy with China...

Is it? If anything, the last few years of “Emperor Xi” are said to have seen a considerable tightening of the Party’s already all-reaching grip.

5 minutes ago, DDE said:

Is it? If anything, the last few years of “Emperor Xi” are said to have seen a considerable tightening of the Party’s already all-reaching grip.

True, but it's still not nearly as strict as it used to be, both in China and in the USSR. A failed launch today, even in China, is a rather public event, largely due to the Internet. Even 30 years ago, a failed launch could go unnoticed by outside parties for days, weeks, or even months, and even then, it'd be a deeply classified discovery at the NRO.

11 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

A failed launch today, even in China, is a rather public event, largely due to the Internet.

Except for Internet Maintenance Day, of course.

1 hour ago, MaverickSawyer said:

A failed launch today, even in China, is a rather public event, largely due to the Internet

Those guys will ban letters when they need to. Not only that, but don’t underestimate how differently the public in authoritarian states reacts to government goof-ups.

That is, circles the wagons and attacks the critics.

2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

There is always VPN.

... And yet, every single report on Chinese spaceflight has always been through Weibo ?

VPN may exist, but people don't bother if it's cumbersome.

12 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Trust me, Chinese people aint that stupid. There is always VPN.

Oh, that doesn’t necessarily change things. When you multiply the percentages of those interested in the subject, those willing to bother with VPN, and those favouring alternative narratives over official ones, you end up with a very slim audience.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

Oh, that doesn’t necessarily change things. When you multiply the percentages of those interested in the subject, those willing to bother with VPN, and those favouring alternative narratives over official ones, you end up with a very slim audience.

Well, a slim audience in 1.3 billion people is a lot.

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

a slim audience in 1.3 billion people is a lot.

You'd have to be close to the launch site as well - which is more like North Dakota than California or North East US : sparsely populated, and highly "rural".

Though I'd guess that the chinese media would make the news. It doesn't make for a bad news unless it has serious effects (like falling on the populous region of the eastern coast of China, then that'd be difficult to deny.)

11 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Well, a slim audience in 1.3 billion people is a lot.

Some in this thread seem to think it’s about reporting, whereas I’m discussing domestic public perception.

Wherein a tiny minority is a tiny minority.

https://m.weibo.cn/5386897742/4349481921419447

Official news said the rover had move 163m by now and it reached its design lifetime.

Shame there is no any new photo yet. Although the authority says popularization of science is vital, they actually willing to do little thing on it.

A possible answer why the rover move so little is that the control team choose to keep the rover safe until it reach its lifetime, which guarantee a successful mission announcement can be told on the news, then after that they can do some real running and science. A balance between politics and science.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I've seen what this rocket looks like, I'm gonna hazard a guess at a fin failure on the second stage. Then again, no way I'm right about something twice in a row...

17 minutes ago, .50calBMG said:

Now that I've seen what this rocket looks like, I'm gonna hazard a guess at a fin failure on the second stage. Then again, no way I'm right about something twice in a row...

It did start corkscrewing. Seems like a reasonable cause.