Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

11 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

An interesting engineering challenge to ensure that a turbopump spins down when completely out of propellants, instead of flying apart. If it was easy, it would have been done already. There may be other considerations, like vibration, balance, or resonance at play. Easier to just not let it run dry.

I suspect the key would be to make sure that the preburner needs liquid propellant to operate.  If it pulls pure He, you are ok.  If it pulls a mixture of He and propellant vapor, while it might not have remotely the torque on the turbopump the lack of resistance would still make it overspin.

This might be a significant advantage for Rocket Labs as being able to eke the last bit of fuel out of the final stage should help a bit with the rocket equation (those last drops of fuel give exponentially more delta-v).  I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to use all their fuel (or pressure fed, but they typically don't have the Isp of pumps).

On 5/19/2019 at 10:49 AM, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Why would the engine go RUD when the turbine starts sucking air? I imagine it's due to pressure of some sort but I can't imagine why.

And I think there was that Falcon 9 landing attempt where they ran out of fuel just moments before touchdown and the Merlins didn't RUD.

Btw that really needs to be a feature on KSP... Engine RUD when your tank is bone-dry, just to bug all the people who do stock super efficient rockets with 0.1m/s of ∆v left in the stage after mission completion.

Pretty much all modern engines use propellants as lubricant.

On 5/7/2019 at 2:31 AM, Xd the great said:

Somehow feels like a ICBM test...

Sound like a rehash of Start.

s1200

1 hour ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

8LlQUb5.png 

Man aren't we getting a treat?

New Kuaizhou rocket, sea launch LM-11 and the iSpace's Hyperbola-1 all within 10 days (as currently planned)?

I guess Smart Dragon 1 got delayed then. It was supposed to be May 30 but is now NET June.

Wait, a sea launched LM-11?

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Wait, a sea launched LM-11?

Yeah, that was what I thought. Let's see how this turns out. I'm currently checking other launch schedules.

Edit: Spaceflight now says the same thing about the LM-11 sea launch. Nothing about Kuaizhou-11 and Smart Dragon-1 though.

jIhM3Mh.png 

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

• 2 weeks later...

Or SLBM. Wanting to test its launch targetting from random positions.

P.S.
Others do this on submarines, but at least once a Chinese rocket submarine has been exploded during such test, so probably now they prefer a barge.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, tater said:

'It will be joined by a co-orbiting Hubble-class space telescope that can dock for propellant supply, maintenance and repairs.'

Cool!  I don't recall hearing about that.  I wonder if they'll release images into the wild like NASA does.  Since space is mostly for prestige, maybe they will.