Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

I wouldn't be surprised if China has a reusable capability well before the rest of the west catches up to SpaceX. Good for them ^_^ 

2 minutes ago, Dale Christopher said:

I wouldn't be surprised if China has a reusable capability well before the rest of the west catches up to SpaceX. Good for them ^_^ 

Would be nice for the people downrange.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:23 AM, kerbiloid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Look! A reusable Soviet IRBM!

1jawn.jpg

4E00m.jpgjnnfB.jpg

(from here)

That's obviously a bit different though. I don't think there's any other reason to put them on a rocket like that but to either divert it from populated areas and/or test reusability and/or both.

Either way, exciting times ahead!

• 2 weeks later...

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

Kind of off topic, but I want to let you know that whenever I get a notification that you've posted in a spaceflight thread that hasn't had activity in a few hours, I usually light up because it's probably a space update.

Generally I try to keep the signal to noise ratio high (except in SLS threads, I tend to bash it a bunch... I don't want to, but it's hard not to).

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Late to this party, but given that this is clearly a hypergol booster, I don't foresee reignition and landing on it....

They might be testing the fins for some other rocket. BTW, I thought hypergols can relight?

20 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

They might be testing the fins for some other rocket. BTW, I thought hypergols can relight?

Yes, they can, and easily. But that is, I believe, a variant of the Long March 2C with the addition of lower fins, a solid interstage, and grid fins. The Long March 2C is powered by four YF-20s in the YF-21C configuration, which has no centrally-mounted engine and cannot downthrottle low enough for even a hoverslam. I am unsure whether the YF-21C config has relight capability. The engine schematics don't show burst discs or anything but that isn't always reliable.

The YF-20 also has a very rough fuel-lean start, as shown by the big clouds of N2O4 that puff up around the base of the rocket at ignition, so trying to control the landing in a preferred zone seems hazardous...then again, so is just dumping the whole rocket onto inhabited areas.

I would also guess they are testing for another project.

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Late to this party, but given that this is clearly a hypergol booster, I don't foresee reignition and landing on it....

They are testing the ability to crash stages away from apartment blocks, etc, I think.

(since they tend to rain them down in  a decent sized CEP)

• 4 weeks later...