Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

56 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Don't the upper stages fall down since 1957?

I think the point is that most of the time since 1957 the upper stages have fallen down in such a way that we knew they were falling in the ocean far from inhabited areas, and indeed, far from busy shipping lanes. This time we have only a vague idea where it's coming down.

13 minutes ago, Kerwood Floyd said:

I think the point is that most of the time since 1957 the upper stages have fallen down in such a way that we knew they were falling in the ocean far from inhabited areas, and indeed, far from busy shipping lanes. This time we have only a vague idea where it's coming down.

He knows this.

18 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Unless I miss my guess, the Long March 5B configuration is the first launch vehicle designed to orbit its entire first-stage core since Sputnik 3 in 1958.

R-7 lateral boosters are the 1st stage. They get jettisonned.

29 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

R-7 lateral boosters are the 1st stage. They get jettisonned.

True, but they aren't orbital as far as I know. That's the important part

Edited by Beccab

19 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I mean.... Didn't the External Tank go to orbit?

No. It could have, but perigee was intentionally left low. Circularization burn was done by the OMS engines.

41 minutes ago, Beccab said:

True, but they aren't orbital as far as I know. That's the important part

Russians count the stages in the order they fall off: one, two, three.

Americans count the stages in order of how close they are to the ground: boosters, one, two.

So we say that the SLS and the Delta IV Heavy and the Falcon Heavy and the Soyuz-FG are two-stage rockets with parallel boosters on the first stage. Russians say all those are three-stage rockets.

What I mean above is that the Long March 5B configuration (what Americans call a single-stage rocket with parallel boosters and what the Russians would call a two-stage rocket) is the first rocket since 1958 to have its central core fire all the way from the ground and end up in orbit. The R-7 Semyorka, which launched Sputnik, Laika, and Sputnik 3, had the same configuration as the Long March 5B with the central core reaching orbit. This is generally regarded as a bad idea. The R-7 launched several times after that in its ICBM configuration but never went to orbit.

26 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Russians count the stages in the order they fall off: one, two, three.

Americans count the stages in order of how close they are to the ground: boosters, one, two.

Reminds me of the house storey enumeration: "1st floor, 2nd floor, etc." vs "ground floor,  1st floor, 2nd floor, etc."

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

"1st floor, 2nd floor, etc." vs "ground floor,  1st floor, 2nd floor, etc."

If anything in this case the American version is the one without distinction for the ground-level floor.

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

What I mean above is that the Long March 5B configuration (what Americans call a single-stage rocket with parallel boosters and what the Russians would call a two-stage rocket) is the first rocket since 1958 to have its central core fire all the way from the ground and end up in orbit. The R-7 Semyorka, which launched Sputnik, Laika, and Sputnik 3, had the same configuration as the Long March 5B with the central core reaching orbit. This is generally regarded as a bad idea. The R-7 launched several times after that in its ICBM configuration but never went to orbit.

Will say that the size probably contributes to the extra danger this time as well... Didn't Atlas also have it's only stage end up in orbit for the Mercury missions ?

Just now, YNM said:

If anything in this case the American version is the one without distinction for the ground-level floor.

Yes, I've always lived in America and it makes no sense to me for the "first floor" to be anything other than the first floor you can enter, the "second floor" being the second floor you can reach, and so forth.   

Just now, YNM said:

Will say that the size probably contributes to the extra danger this time as well... Didn't Atlas also have it's only stage end up in orbit for the Mercury missions ?

The Mercury capsule had posigrade separation motors but I don't think they provided much total impulse relative to the booster. That booster did end up in orbit, but it only would have hung out in space for a few orbits because they deliberately targeted a low enough perigee to ensure that John Glenn made it back to earth promptly if the retrograde deorbit motors failed. 

In contrast, the payloads for Sputnik 1-3 were not intended to be recovered and burned up on re-entry, so they didn't care where they came down. Thus they put them quite high, and the boosters stayed in orbit for a while. Most people who reported seeing Sputnik 1 were actually seeing the R-7 core (which was actually about the same length as the Long March 5B core but had a mass less than 8 tonnes and an engine cluster 83% lighter). Sputnik 1's R-7 core stayed in orbit for two months but re-entered without incident.

Yeah, good "hygiene" is to leave the perigee low on a large core stage so it immediately is disposed of, then raise orbital vehicle perigee with the upper stage as such a burn is not very costly.

This is so ingrained in me I do it without thinking in KSP.

It'd actually be quite funny if bits fell on the US. In a "haha, now we get to analyse the bits, maybe control your re-entry next time" kind of way.

Europe looks mostly safe at least.

17 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

It'd actually be quite funny if bits fell on the US. In a "haha, now we get to analyse the bits, maybe control your re-entry next time" kind of way.

Europe looks mostly safe at least.

Yeah, with the exception of like one pass over Spain, Europe is in the clear.

Actually I may have misspoken in that tweet. The tightest cluster would be apogee, not perigee, since it is moving fastest at apogee (the dots on the lines are five-minute increments).

1 minute ago, sevenperforce said:

Does anyone know what the probability curve for this sort of re-entry prediction is?

Like, is it "basically anywhere in this window with equal probability"?

Or is it a bell curve?

I think this far out it's probably pretty random as the stage is tumbling (I assume).

3 hours ago, Codraroll said:

I see one of the paths crosses over northeast China. There would be some cruel irony if it were to fall down in Beijing.

The paths shift constantly as the stage decays so any path could change.

Last update for the night.

So, how much of the engines can we expect to survive, based on past events? If it comes down on a non-PRC landmass, and is (sort-of) intact, then I expect it would be analyzed...

Edited by SOXBLOX
Me dumb.

3 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

The paths shift constantly as the stage decays so any path could change.

Last update for the night.

Last bets.

6 hours ago, Codraroll said:

I see one of the paths crosses over northeast China. There would be some cruel irony if it were to fall down

Sector "Zero".

P.S.
Now the local roulette got world-wide.