Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

5 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

What treaty? SALT just limited numbers, not new development.

I don't remember, but it was a part of daily TV narrative in early 80s, that "they accuse us in the prohibited development of a new bomber, but this is just a modification of the existing one".

Ah bomber, insert a joke:  In 2017 an old Russian pilot instructor who had taught the PLAAF came to China and visited the same unit he had taught and came to say: Ah, I don't suppose you guys use Tu-16 anymore?

PLAAF & Chinese military fans:

v2-ce2a0c690efcfbb319790797cf5c67b2_720w

Considering that the US Secretary of Defense's last visit to China coincided with the first flight of the J-20. At that time that guy thought that China's five-generation fighter would not be exist for 10 years. For the sake of the new bomber can  lauch sooner, I think its necessary to invite the US Secretary of Defence to visit China again:D

So the China University of Mining and Technology (I'm already noticing a minor risk of media hype) is ostensibly building a lunar simulator consisting of a vacuum chamber with magnetic anti-gravity.

https://www.rt.com/news/545796-china-builds-artificial-moon/

Now, I'm not sure what they're planning to do with it, but I'm pretty sure the 'purity' of their experiments would be compromised by the fact that magnetism isn't gravity, and their simulation would have to involve extreme contrivances to account for the different effects based on materials.

2 hours ago, DDE said:

So the China University of Mining and Technology (I'm already noticing a minor risk of media hype) is ostensibly building a lunar simulator consisting of a vacuum chamber with magnetic anti-gravity.

https://www.rt.com/news/545796-china-builds-artificial-moon/

Now, I'm not sure what they're planning to do with it, but I'm pretty sure the 'purity' of their experiments would be compromised by the fact that magnetism isn't gravity, and their simulation would have to involve extreme contrivances to account for the different effects based on materials.

I think they found something that could be improved or something strange when they tested the Yutu lunar rover in their lab on Earth compared to the lunar surface. It's also possible that the former lab was enlarged a little more to facilitate the training of astronauts for the manned moon landing.

Mun or bust!:huh:

Edited by steve9728

6 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Speaking of the Moon...

The renderings come from that old promotional video shared by @AllenLi, with the Space Shuttle lifting off from the Moon and the spacecraft with radiators that resembled a Sith Infiltrator. But the line drawings/diagrams appear to be real.

Translate a short paragraph from the zhuanlan.zhihu:

... Because we are not going to go to the moon for the sake of just going to the moon, we are going to go the moon with the idea of sustainability. This is an intergral landing and integral take-off lunar lander with a symmetrical layout, which means that it no longer divides the lander from the ascender, but combines the two into one. For what purpose? Wouldn't a separate lander allow for a lighter take-off weight? Why not separate them? This is because the integral take-off and integral landing is intended to make the lunar lander reusable, which would further reduce the cost of permanent operation of a manned lunar project, something that is fundamentally different from the record-breaking Apollo manned lunar landings.

Can I understand that if the technology allows for this and a small space station core module is launched on top of this to dock with it, then we would have a lunar space station? Chinese version Artemis, here we go again:D

Edited by steve9728

Xinhua has released several images of Tonga's crater taken by the Gaofen-1 satelite and Shaobing (哨兵, Sentinel)-1 satelite by syntheitc aperture rader

image.jpg

(Left one shot by Worldview 02 satelite and right one shot by "Gaofen-1")

image.jpg

And the image shot by Shaobing-1's SAR. Nearly whole island has "evaporated";.;

Edited by steve9728

57 minutes ago, steve9728 said:

Xinhua has released several images of Tonga's crater

Looking at those - I'm guessing that once researchers get a detailed look at the sea-floor, they'll discover the eruption was largely from the main body of the submerged caldera - rather than the cinder-cone crater between the two islands.

(The top-left photo shows the reef south of the two islands which is the southern edge of the submerged caldera)  Given that parts of the two islands survive but the reef is evidently gone - my guess is that the eruption centered between the islands and the reef.

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Looking at those - I'm guessing that once researchers get a detailed look at the sea-floor, they'll discover the eruption was largely from the main body of the submerged caldera - rather than the cinder-cone crater between the two islands.

(The top-left photo shows the reef south of the two islands which is the southern edge of the submerged caldera)  Given that parts of the two islands survive but the reef is evidently gone - my guess is that the eruption centered between the islands and the reef.

Yep, I know:

v2-5b3a1b73e26b9a4ce3aa3735016427f9_r.jp

on the left: what you thought was a crater

on the right: the actual one

Hope those people who live in Tonga can be safe though;.;

Space Snooker again: An Russian satellite debris has an "extremely dangerous rendezvous" with Chinese satellite Tsinghua Science Satellite No. 46026

35-EB1115-E64-D-40-CC-A56-E-1-D95514-A71

Red line is the debris and blue line is the Tsinghua’s satellites.

AE855342-686-C-42-BE-B8-F3-29759-F435781

The satellite itself.

The space debris numbered 49863 is from the Russian anti-satellite experiment, Cosmos 1408 satellite. This time the closest distance was only 14.5 metres and the relative speed was 5.27 km/s.

Given that the satellite in this case is indeed a 'ball', somehow it is indeed ‘space snooker’:ph34r:

54 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Why the soccer ball shape? 

https://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/info/1369/80292.htm

https://www.tsinghua.edu.cn/info/1182/51218.htm

“The main objectives of the 22kg satellite are to measure the density of the thin atmosphere present in space and to measure the Earth's long-wave gravity field and validate gravity satellite design methods."

"The novel configuration of the satellite with a pure spherical shape ensures that atmospheric drag is independent of the satellite's attitude, thus greatly improving the accuracy of atmospheric density measurements. To ensure that the satellite is adequately powered, the team has designed a spherical solar cell array and has overcome the challenge of a small curvature spherical mounting process."