Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

Wow. I can't believe I missed this. CMSA held *a* press conference (conflicting descriptions of just where and of what nature) following Shenzhou 13's return. Lots of goodies!

You read that right, Xuntian is ahead of schedule (it was originally supposed to launch in 2024).

You read that right too, the Chinese government-run space agency expects Chinese commercial space companies to develop enough in the future to enable commercial resupply and potentially commercial crew transport!

And about that next generation launcher...

This is from a different event-

The single core version of the Long March 5DY, apparently now called Long March 5ZRL (it should be noted these are all personal designations created by the chief designer and not yet official), will have a reusable first stage from the get go and will launch with the LEO version of the Next-Generation Crewed Spacecraft before 2030.

Also, it has been revealed that a replacement for Tianzhou is in the works and will debut some time before 2032.

The information in the top tweet is just a repeat of what is already known about Chinese crewed lunar landing plans. The slide is a little weird though. If I am interpreting that right, it says before 2030 for when the crewed landing will happen. Crew is three people instead of speculated four.

------

The Global Times released an article on the post-Shenzhou 13 conference. https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202204/1259536.shtml

Some cool info from it-

An extended segment of the space station is also under consideration, so as to create better living conditions for taikonauts and better support for scientific experiments in orbit.

Launch of the rumored backup Tianhe core module may become reality! Maybe, extended segment could mean something entirely new after all.

Once Tiangong enters the operational phase, Bai said, foreign astronauts will have two ways to enter China's space station - by a Chinese spacecraft, or by their own spacecraft with a docking interface suitable to Tiangong.

When asked whether China's Tiangong will become a station shared by all mankind, Bai replied with confidence, "absolutely yes."

Really neat! So this raises a question- while NASA is legally barred from cooperation with China, what about SpaceX? Could an American private entity fly a mission to Tiangong with a modified Crew Dragon?

------

This is amazing-

------

On 4/24/2022 at 5:32 PM, insert_name said:

CSNA has announced plans for a kinetic impactor asteroid deflection test 

https://spacenews.com/china-to-conduct-asteroid-deflection-test-around-2025/

China's operational asteroid deflection force may involve utilizing asteroids themselves as the impactors.

https://astronomycommunity.nature.com/posts/enhanced-asteroid-deflector-hit-rock-with-rock

CASC announced earlier this day(a couple of minutes earlier actually) that Tianzhou-4 cargo ship and its lifter, CZ-7, have arrived at the launch tower. Equipment at Wenchang operating smoothly.

OM6NLD.jpg
OM6tsO.jpg
OM6Gz6.jpg
OM6aee.jpg
OM6YQK.jpg
OM6wod.jpg
OM6ddH.jpg
OM6BFA.jpg
OM6rWt.jpg

1 hour ago, SunlitZelkova said:

taikonauts

I've seen some interesting discussion here in China over this word. Taikonaut is said to be the "official" name of the Chinese version of US astronaut or USSR cosmonaut.

"astro" and "cosmo" are both related to space / the universe in Indo-European languages. "taikon" is pronounced close to "太空" ("space", mostly referring to space near the Earth. Another word is "深空", "deep space", which usually means space beyond the Earth-moon system.). 

"naut" is closely related to marine sailors or sailing in Indo-European languages, as far as I know. However "naut" has absolutely no meaning in the Chinese language.

China, Russia (and USSR), the US are the three countries able to "independently" send humans into space. European/Japanese crew were sent to ISS by American or Russian modules. Since US and Russia (USSR) have their own names for "astronaut" or "cosmonaut", it seems possible that China also wants to coin its new word. There is ongoing discussion over the word "taikonaut". It is so popular that searching "naut" in a Chinese search engine will bring you to "taikonaut". Some have advised using the term "hangtianyuan" (direct tranliteration from "航天员". It's meaning is the same as "astronaut" or "cosmonaut".) I don't know how you native speaker will pronounce "hangtianyuan", and I can't find a way to write its pronounciation in English;)

Hopefully coining new words won't stop possible future internation collaboration in the field of aerospace.

Edited by AllenLi

OMhGAU.jpg

ESA has used this word as shown above.

OM495F.png

But Chinese media still prefers to use "astronauts". Source of this news page is here from China Daily.

Some voices here in China claim that "taikonaut" has been accepted by Oxford dictionary since 1998, but I can neither confirm that nor deny that. Because I can find this word on Collins online dictionary, but not Oxford Learner's Dictionary

OM4fG4.png
OM4WiF.png

If you search those people from Weifang, you can find out that those people can make everything to a kite and then let them fly. Sometime really can't understand how they made it even as a Chinese.

As what Long Lehao sharing... well I have reservations about that. At least it's better to have news than no news at all.

And with the arrival of winter in the northern hemisphere of Mars,  the Zhurong mars rover will enter sleep mode to survive the harsh Martian winter climate. Currently, both rover and orbiter, which the Zhurong and Tianwen-1, have accumlated 940GB of raw science data.

Another one unlocked the achievement of "VTVL test" by the Deep Blue Aerospace:

And we have the mission patch of the Tianzhou-4 mission:

006-HGq7agy1h1ztcpffh9j30u10u0dui.jpg

An article about the Tianwen-2's mesh antenna. Tianwen-2 is for the asteroid exploration missions. But yep, this one is purly Chinese. 

04-chenxu-2.jpg

The circular flexible solar panels for Tianwen-2 currently being assembled

20220508164326.png

"One third of the team are young people who have just joined the workforce two or three years ago, but after many major assignments, they have already taken up the mantle and are able to complete the process design and product assembly of many products", said by the news report.

1 minute ago, SunlitZelkova said:

Is Tianwen the designation for all beyond Earth-Moon system missions? Or is that a placeholder like "Zheng He"?

Is for the program named “Planetary Exploration of China (PEC, 中国行星探测工程)”. So yes, it is.

Logo_of_Planetary_Exploration_of_China.p

Before Wang Yaping go to space station, she was promissed to her daughter "your mummy will pick the star from sky for you". And she kept her word: 

20220509195749.gif

And I was read an some kind advertisement. This little star actually is the new souvenir made by CNSA called "Picking the Stars For You".

What was her daughter looking at?

20220509200207.gif

Astronaut!

20220509200218.gif

A very good present for son or daughter or even to your lover have to say:D

Edited by steve9728

It has been successfully launched and has entered the fast intersection docking orbit to the Chinese space station. If no surprises, it will be docked around 9:30 (GMT+8)

"A total of approximately 5.1 tonnes of cargo and 1 tonne of propellant was carried on this mission. The total weight of 175 of these packages amounted to 4.08 tonnes. More than 70% of this cargo was supplied to the astronaut and astronaut system. In addition 15 different environmental control and life support products were carried.", said by the CCTV's live.

And tonight is the last night for CSS in two module shapes: it will always more than two after tonight

0084pl75gy1h20zkxfm1kj31hc0u0qps.jpg

(via: weibo)

Edited by steve9728

Docked!

20220510021352.png

Li Zhihui, deputy general director of the cargo spacecraft system of the CASC's Fifth Institude: In the future, our goal is to carry out rapid rendezvous and docking in two hours, which is 4.5 hours less than 6.5 hours, basically two hours and 15 minutes from the moment of launch to dock (Chinanews).

A new article from Mars: Zhurong reveals recent aqueous activities in Utopia Planitia, Mars

"The morphology and spatial extent of platy and bright-toned rocks investigated by the Zhurong rover argue for in situ formation and degradation of these rocks in the Amazonian-aged geological unit in southern Utopia Planitia. These observations suggest that aqueous activities may have persisted much longer than previously thought. Periodical climate cycles on Mars driven by obliquity oscillations are expected to result in a latitude-dependent distribution of ground ice over geologic history" ... "The Zhurong landing site (and the northern lowlands) may contain a considerable amount of accessible water in the form of hydrated minerals and possibly ground ice for in situ resource utilization for future human Mars exploration."

Edited by steve9728

OyloFK.jpg

Pic text in English: Forgive me for my awful translation :)

(Yellow markers are) launch sites of China, India and Japan.

(Red area is) the area where a warning to aircrafts is sent about the falling 3rd stage. A0431/22

Payload: Jilin-1 Mofang-01A sat (a make-up launch for the former failure)

Payload User&Manufacturer: Chang Guang Satellite Technology Co,Ltd.

Lifter: SQX-1(Hyperbola-1) (4th launch)

Lifter Manufacturer: iSpace

Target Orbit: SSO

Launched From: Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre(JSLC)

Lauched at: 13-05-2022 15:09:39 (UTC+8)

This pic may not be very accurate because I haven't found a reliable source explaining in detail how the accident happened. But it implies that when attempting to put a satellite to SSO, the rocket malfuctioned and the 3rd stage has fallen back to the Indian Ocean somehow. The rocket made it off the pad according to iSpace, as the official account states that the rocket "lifted off at 15:09". 

iSpace did launch a SQX-1(Hyperbola-1) into orbit. This is how they describe that launch in their official website:

Jul 25, 2019, Beijing Interstellar Glory Space Technology Ltd made history with the successful launch of its Hyperbola-1y1 from the Jiuquan Satellite launch center in northwest China
1. Become the first Chinese private company to achieve orbit with a high degree of both accuracy and precision.
2. Become the first Chinese private company to achieve launching multiple satellites in orbit at a time.
3. Become the first Chinese private company to achieve sending space ads video back from space.

SpaceX suffered a lot of failures at first as well. I hope iSpace can find the cause to the failure and get through it.

13 minutes ago, AllenLi said:

Lifter: SQX-1(Hyperbola-1) (4th launch)

The same model of rocket launched multiple times is usually called, in sequence, Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4... (that Y stands for "遥", so that tracking stations and ships scattered across the globe can capture the rocket with convenience). iSpace however, launched their lifters in this sequence: Y1 (success), Y2 (failure, due to insulation foam jamming the grid fins, some people say the grid fins were too weak and just broke), Y5 (failure, due to shrouds unable to decouple), Y4(failure, this one). The official report may come out a lot later, but some amateurs have analyzed that this failure may be caused by a leackage of RCS gas tanks.

Edited by AllenLi

5 hours ago, tater said:

Saw a some kind joke from the Chinese forum memed from the previous Chinese Football team coach for a 'humiliating defeat' (China 1:5 Thailand in 2013):

iSpace's humiliating defeat has become the biggest topic of discussion in the Chinese aerospace industry in the past two days, let's listen to the famous "King of Bless" Su Mojiu's comments on this, the always straightforward General Su bluntly said "iSpace is afraid to even shamless if it continues like this".

-iSapce, how many, how many, how many rockets have been launched?  Old wine in a new bottle! The Dongfeng launch site also have reason to say, "What rocket do I mainly launched? I mainly focus on the Shenjian and Long March series!What kind of rocket were you launch at my site? What level is iSpace right now? The only strength they have is a few of them are painting a pie to make some slides. Can they paint? They can't! They can't draw! They doesn't have the ability you know? If they keep go on, they'll have to failure the third mission. After failing the third and forth missions, the fifth and sixth will follow, and at this rate there will be no more rocket they can launch."

- "On the other hand, iSpace is also considered the first team to prepare for China Space Super 2022"

-Oh thank goodness!  I already said that a company like them has not laid a good foundation, can they guarantee me that such a critical mission as the remote three remote six he can succeed hah? Be realistic, I advise them to understand their own technical level and the problems of their own rocket flight first! Why did you change with the first mission rocket after it was so good? Now you are failure three rounds in a row in Dongfeng launch site? Tell me how to explain it? Shamless, shamless at all!

Hope Landspace's Zhuque rocket can successfully launch

Good news: the CNSA's rocket transport ships Yuan Wang 21 and Yuan Wang 22 has arrived Tianjin Port. They will carry the CZ-5 rocket to Qinglan Port for launch the Wentian Module mission:

20220513164314.png

20220513164347.png

Edited by steve9728

14 years ago yesterday was the day of the massive Sichuan earthquake. And I suddenly remembered this one:

006-Qlv-Shgy1h251khoidhj30ci08q0u3.jpg

14 years ago, Wang Yaping was flying transport aircraft to disaster areas several times to transport relief supplies.

In Earth calendar terms, it has been one year since the Zhurong rover landed on Mars. The rover now has accumulated nearly two kilometres.

008fva-T0ly1h28uvvq6caj30u00u0tcc.jpg

"Keep calm and carry on!"

Edited by steve9728

A German radio enthusist find out that Chang'e-3 lander was observing the lunar eslipse. Unlike previous signals of an hour or so, this one lasted close to two hours. So the lunar-based astronomical telescope on the lander should have been used to make the observation. What the telescope looks like (via Weibo):

image.png

image.png

image.png

Hope CNSA can recieve and publish those images early:lol: Previously datas from Chang‘e-3: https://moon.bao.ac.cn/ce5web/searchOrder-ce3.do?continueFlag=b08a4920d6538783c2ad0b2f1a4f5a42

When I looking for something about lunar eslipse, I found this one: CSS, ISS and moon 'surrounded' by cloud

8ebc1d7fcb7a16cca28a1e045c2d9ff.jpg

The two other news from CNSA is: 

Tianzhou-4 comfirmed take a CMG. As the heaviest single piece of cargo, it weighs 170kg. It should be the spare replacement part in case of possible failure of existing six CMGs mounted on the middle of the core module. And as one of the main sources of noise in the  station at present, it has a speed of 7000 r/min.

image.png

In addition to this, Tianzhou-4 also carries three experimental projects, all of which come from the call for experimental projects from society and universities. "Tianzhou-4 carried about 750 kilograms of replenishment propellant, which is about the same compared to when it was Tianzhou-3, but the total weight of the uplinked materials was about 6 tonnes, 300 kg more than Tianzhou-3, and the cargo transport capacity has been further improved." Bai Mingsheng, chief designer of the cargo spacecraft, said, "This time there are no more EVA suits with us, there are already three sets on board. Also compared to Tianzhou-3, cargo pickup on Tianzhou-4 will be more convenient. For example, Tianzhou-4 has added colour markings for cargo packs, and it will be more intuitive for astronauts to find their cargo. The cargo compartment and cover of the cargo compartment will have a more convenient Velcro connection in Tianzhou-4, which can be opened and closed at any time in orbit. In addition, researchers have also optimised the design of the cushioning foam in the cargo bag in smaller pieces to reduce the amount of space it takes up and make it easier to store. "

Officially, there is no mention at this time of whether there are bags carrying cosmetics and sanitary products needed by women. So probably there will have no female astronaut in Shenzhou-14 crew.

The another one is part of the CZ-5B rocket for the Wentian Module launch mission has been loaded on board the Yuan Wang 21. The rest of them are currently loading now on Yuan Wang 22.

640?wx_fmt=jpeg&wxfrom=5&wx_lazy=1&wx_co

20220517185755.png

Yuan Wang 21 now is waiting 22 at the exit of the Tianjin port. It shouldn't take long, I reckon they'll set sail within the next couple of days. And take a week to arrive the Qinglan port.

image.png

Edited by steve9728

On 5/17/2022 at 7:11 PM, steve9728 said:

Officially, there is no mention at this time of whether there are bags carrying cosmetics and sanitary products needed by women. So probably there will have no female astronaut in Shenzhou-14 crew.

New information: it shows there has three beauty produts on board Tianzhou-4: Maysu Plum Blossom Multi-rejuvenating Soft Cream, Chando 'Little Gold Pen' Lipstick and Chando Men's 'Glacier' Moisturising Lotion. It's very likely that Liu Yang, the first Chinese female astronaut, will go to space again by upcoming Shenzhou-14 mission.

Edited by steve9728

Now, let's welcome the (proposed) real-life ISRU on the moon, turning ore into liquid fule and oxidizer!

OHeCkD.png

OHetBV.png

Article by

Yingfang Yao, Lu Wang, Xi Zhu, ..., Mengfei Yang, Weihua Wang, Zhigang Zou

and data is acquired using 0.2g of the lunar soil brought back by CE-5 moon lander.

Full text available on the Joule journal.

https://www.cell.com/joule/pdfExtended/S2542-4351(22)00178-7

Edited by CFYL