Chinese Space Program (CNSA) & Ch. commercial launch and discussion

tater

17 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Doubt it. China doesn’t rush things like that.

China aims to build a scientific research station in the south polar region of the moon and realize manned lunar exploration mission in about ten years, said a senior space official on Wednesday.

Zhang Kejian, head of the China National Space Administration...

I think we can rule out typical mistake number one: taking the unfounded claims of someone not actually related to the program as gospel.

That leaves typical mistake number two: broken telephone. Wouldn’t be the first time the coverage of the Chinese program couldn’t tell manned missions from unmanned missions. Notice the interesting word order in the first paragraph. Now, I don’t speak Chinese, but the Russian term “automated interplanetary station” could confuse quite a few laymen.

Silk on the Moon Part 2: Isotope-Heated Boogaloo?

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-04/03/c_137946434.htm

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/jielong-1.htm

China just announced a new rocket, a small four staged solid fuel rocket, 1.2 meters in diameter, 23t at liftoff, and should be able to put 150kg into a sun synchronous orbit. It is designed for the commercial market and is supposed to be reasonably cost competitive, although I don't believe that the price has been released yet.

It is designed to be built in just six months, and readied for launch in just 24 hours.

It is called Jielong-1, or Smart Dragon 1.

The thing is, they appear to be targeting a maiden flight this month. It's a bit of a surprising announcement, this close to the date of a potential test flight.

In addition, China appears to be making headway on the Long March 5B, and want to launch their first station module at the end of this year instead of next year.

I wouldn't trust this article too much as it mixes up Long March 5B and Smart Dragon 1, but here it is: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2019/03/05/china-hints-at-surprise-space-station-launch-says-its-new-rocket-can-challenge-spacex/#5c4619f23e80

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-04/03/c_137946434.htm

https://space.skyrocket.de/doc_lau/jielong-1.htm

China just announced a new rocket, a small four staged solid fuel rocket, 1.2 meters in diameter, 23t at liftoff, and should be able to put 150kg into a sun synchronous orbit. It is designed for the commercial market and is supposed to be reasonably cost competitive, although I don't believe that the price has been released yet.

It is designed to be built in just six months, and readied for launch in just 24 hours.

It is called Jielong-1, or Smart Dragon 1.

The thing is, they appear to be targeting a maiden flight this month. It's a bit of a surprising announcement, this close to the date of a potential test flight.

Somehow feels like a ICBM test...

8 hours ago, Scotius said:

What exploded? Was it fuel leftover in the first stage, or did it hit something combustible on the ground?

They usually do that. I assume it's the remaining hypergolics.

11 hours ago, Scotius said:

What exploded? Was it fuel leftover in the first stage, or did it hit something combustible on the ground?

All liquid rockets leave a small amount of fuel in discarded stages, to prevent the engines undergoing RUD's when the turbines start sucking air. 

Why would the engine go RUD when the turbine starts sucking air? I imagine it's due to pressure of some sort but I can't imagine why.

And I think there was that Falcon 9 landing attempt where they ran out of fuel just moments before touchdown and the Merlins didn't RUD.

Btw that really needs to be a feature on KSP... Engine RUD when your tank is bone-dry, just to bug all the people who do stock super efficient rockets with 0.1m/s of ∆v left in the stage after mission completion.

10 minutes ago, Ho Lam Kerman said:

Why would the engine go RUD when the turbine starts sucking air? I imagine it's due to pressure of some sort but I can't imagine why.

And I think there was that Falcon 9 landing attempt where they ran out of fuel just moments before touchdown and the Merlins didn't RUD.

If the turbine starts pulling in air, then it will rapidly start to overspeed, and will very likely fly to pieces, or the bearings will overheat. 

When SpaceX (or any rocket company) says that the stage is out of fuel, what the mean is that a sensor at the very bottom of the tank, where the fuel pipe is, has detected a lack of fuel and shut the engine down. There is still fuel left in the plumbing and often the tank as well, its just not safe to continue using it. 

16 hours ago, MinimumSky5 said:

If the turbine starts pulling in air, then it will rapidly start to overspeed, and will very likely fly to pieces, or the bearings will overheat. 

When SpaceX (or any rocket company) says that the stage is out of fuel, what the mean is that a sensor at the very bottom of the tank, where the fuel pipe is, has detected a lack of fuel and shut the engine down. There is still fuel left in the plumbing and often the tank as well, its just not safe to continue using it. 

Except that it won't start pulling air.  It is far more likely to start pulling helium (or other "filler" gas), which presumably wouldn't compress the same and probably wouldn't pull at the right velocity and could presumably still overspeed.  Of course, this assumes that there is enough propellant (whichever one) being pulled to power the turbopumps.  Most turbopumps (exceptions include expander types (RL-10), electric (Rutherford engine), and old fashioned hydrogen peroxide (V-2)) use the same fuel contained in the propellant, so they will quickly stop being driven when the fuel runs out.

If you overspeed before there isn't enough fuel to drive the propellant, your turbine still flies apart, tearing lots of holes in the middle of a formerly controlled explosion.

If you don't, then it just stops spinning.

32 minutes ago, wumpus said:

Except that it won't start pulling air.  It is far more likely to start pulling helium (or other "filler" gas), which presumably wouldn't compress the same and probably wouldn't pull at the right velocity and could presumably still overspeed.  Of course, this assumes that there is enough propellant (whichever one) being pulled to power the turbopumps.  Most turbopumps (exceptions include expander types (RL-10), electric (Rutherford engine), and old fashioned hydrogen peroxide (V-2)) use the same fuel contained in the propellant, so they will quickly stop being driven when the fuel runs out.

Well, given that most engines use a small fraction of propellants to drive the pump compared to the volume being pumped, the compressor would run out first before the preburner loses pressure. And if the compressor sucks anything but liquid, it will overspeed and rapidly dis-assemble. The Rutherford might be an interesting case as electric motors are self-governing, but might still exceed maximum safe RPM. And with Raptors being full-flow, I'm not sure what would happen then. Probably still not a safe thing to have happen.

An interesting engineering challenge to ensure that a turbopump spins down when completely out of propellants, instead of flying apart. If it was easy, it would have been done already. There may be other considerations, like vibration, balance, or resonance at play. Easier to just not let it run dry.

As an aside, the Shuttle was grounded for awhile when the ECO (engine cut-off sensors) in the LH2 tank were acting up. There was also one Shuttle mission when a LH2 leak caused the ECO sensors to command MECO a little earlier than usual.

But it should be safe to run a pressure-fed engine, like on the LEM, to complete depletion, AFAI can guess