All The Love For Dres - Station, Base, Rovers, Sats! + now ISRU

Geonovast

This is mainly for a submission for @SpaceplaneAddict's Dres Awareness challenge.  This is pretty screenshot heavy, so I'm going to put the bulk of them in spoilers for your viewing inconvenience. 

Mission: Occupy Dres with a single landing base station, space station, 8 satellite network, and 4 Tetra class ISRU Rover/Landers.  The Tetra class Rovander will be capable of returning to the station and biome hopping.  Mission completion to be done with two launches from Kerbin using convertible Washburn class ships.

Mission Flag:

DresAware.png

Meet The Ships!

Tetra Class Rovander:

Equipped with 4 LT-1 landing struts, dual aerospikes, SP-G solar panels, Drill-O-Matic Jrs, and a RefineOre Y-600 Mini ISRU converter.  This docking-stackable Rovander is capable of endless Station-Surface-Station trips.  Connecting Living Space complient... sorta.  If you stretch a bit.  Holds one Kerbal.

TetraClosed.pngTetraOpen.png

Lance Relay Satellite:

I'm sure you've never see a relay satellite before!

Lance.png

Washburn Class "IDT Maya":

The IDT Maya sports copious amounts of living space, research center, science array, and deep space communication/relay abilities.  It also features 8 LT-37L landing struts, as Maya's mission finale is a research base landed on Dres.  Core is comprised of 6 Large Advanced Reaction Wheels to minimize RCS usage.  Payload is 8 satellites.  6 Comm/relay, 1 Survey Scanner, and 1 Narrow-Band Sat.  Bottom piece is a detachable-before-launch Kerbal loading system.  Also CLS complient if you tweak your imagination a bit.  Crew is 6 Kerbals, you'll meet them below.

MayaTop.pngMayaBottom.png

Washburn Class "IDT TinyTina":

The IDT TinyTina is very similar to her sister ship, Maya.  Differences include additional decouplers to completely detach the 4 engine nacelles.  TinyTina's mission finale is a Rovander Waystation / Science station in low orbit around Dres.  Other main difference is the payload, of 4 Tetra rovanders.  Ship will launch with a crew of 10.  Standard 6 positions as the Maya, with an addition 4 rover pilots.

TinyTinaTop.pngTinyTinaBottom.png

Phase 1.1: Loading Maya:

Spoiler

Load IDT Maya onto launch pad

ST10.png

Get crew out to launch.  As Expected, the launchpad explodes on the crew's arrival.  They're used to it.

ST12.pngST14.pngST17.png

Meet the crew of the Maya:

Front Row:

--Pilot / Mission leader: Jadzia Kerman. (Jadzia is not an in-game name.  I edited her in because my daughter wanted to be one of the ship's pilots.  Original name was Joan.  Joan isn't Kerbal!).

Second Row, L-R:

--Lead Engineer: Jedski Kerman, --Lead Scientist: Hailan Kerman

Third Row, L-R:

--Backup Scientist: Trapond Kerman, --Backup Engineer: Philburry Kerman, --Backup Pilot: Doodock Kerman

ST19.png

Phase 1.2: Launching Maya:

Spoiler

Ignition!

ST112.pngST113.pngST114.png

First Stage (Exposion was a spent part, ship remained intact); Second Stage; Circularize

ST116.pngST119.pngST122.png

Orbit!; Expose payload

ST128.pngST130.pngST131.png

Open solar panels; Third stage; Leave Kerbin's SOI

ST133.pngST135.pngST138.png

Inclination burn start; Fourth stage

ST140.pngST141.pngST143.png

Dres encounter!

ST150.pngST152.pngST151.png

Dres capture

ST156.pngST157.png

Phase 2.1: Loading TinyTina:

Spoiler

Load IDT TinyTina onto launch pad

ST20.png

Get flight crew out to launch;  Pad goes kerblooie, of course;  I love the daunding ground-up monstrosity view, especially since that's only about half the ship.

ST22.pngST24.pngST29.png

Meet the crew of the TinyTina:

Front Row, L-R:

--Lead Engineer: Sheprod Kerman, --Pilot / Mission leader: Kenmon Kerman, --Lead Scientist: Linrigh Kerman

Second Row, L-R:

--Backup Pilot: Verfry Kerman, --Backup Engineer: Bartstead Kerman

Third Row:

Backup Scientist: Obwise Kerman

ST210.png

Phase 2.2: Launching TinyTina:

Spoiler

Ignition!; First Stage; Circularize

ST218.pngST221.pngST222.png

Orbit!; Deploy solar panels; Third Stage

ST223.pngST225.pngST230.png

Leave Kerbin's SOI; Inclination Burn

ST231.pngST234.pngST238.png

Dres Encounter

ST239.pngST240.pngST241.png

Capture Burn

ST244.pngST250.png

Now, the MK2 decouplers are not able to cross-feed.  But somehow, on two of the four nacelles, instead of feeding top first with the use of a fuel line, it was somehow crossfed.  So a little fuel management, then dopping the tops of the nacelles.

ST253.pngST256.pngST257.png

Now that the TinyTina is parked in high Dres orbit, we'll switch back to the Maya to set up the satellite network.

Phase 3: Satellite Distribution:

Spoiler

Dumping CommSats; Since Maya's still got so much fuel, we'll change orbit a few times and save the fuel in the satellites for future orbit correction

ST31.pngST34.pngST36.png

Catching a little light from Maya's nacelle lamps!

ST37.pngST38.png

Going polar for the Survey Satellite; Dumping ScanSat

ST312.pngST313.pngST315.png

Final CommSats

ST317.pngST318.pngST322.png

Then back to equatorial for base landing

ST324.png

And back to TinyTina for some fun with rovers.

Phase 4: Rover Relocation:

Spoiler

Bringing ship into low orbit; Ditching last stage

ST41.pngST44.pngST45.png

Officially a space station at this point.  Let's move the rovers into a better place and jettison the scaffolding.

ST47.pngST48.pngST49.png

ST410.pngST411.pngST413.png

ST414.pngST415.pngST416.png

ST417.pngST419.pngST420.png

Deploy Science Array; Station complete

ST422.pngST423.png

Phase 5: Maya Landing:

Spoiler

Now it's time to bring Maya down to her final resting place (Although I'm confident I could move it if I wanted to - but I like where it landed.)

ST527.pngST529.png

Touchdown!

ST532.pngST533.png

Drop the conveniently long Konstruction! ladder; Feel daunted again

ST538.pngST537.png

At some point I opened up the science array, but don't have an image of that.

Phase 6 Rovander Landings:

~6.1: Raysel - Random Spot

Spoiler

Sent Raysel to a random spot on the surface

ST640.pngST645.pngST646.png

ST647.pngST649.png

~6.2: Josen - Trench

Spoiler

Josen decided to check out the big scar on Dres' surface

ST757.pngST760.pngST762.png

ST763.pngST765.pngST770.png

Just refueling outside the trench for now.  Once the tanks are full, she'll go in and see what's what.

~6.3: Leeford - Maya Base

Spoiler

Leeford's objective was to land as close to the Maya base as possible.  I'd say we did fairly well.

ST876.pngST878.png

500 meters away?  I'll take it.

ST880.pngST882.png

ST884.pngST887.png

~6.4: Maubert - North Pole

Spoiler

Maubert decided to throw all sense of orientation out the window and check out the peak at the north pole.

ST91.pngST92.pngST97.png

Had an interesting touchdown

ST98.pngST99.png

ST912.pngST914.pngST915.png

Mission Summary (AKA TL;DR)

IDT Maya brought a full 8 satellite network, then touched down on the surface for a permanent base. 

FINALNetwork.png

FINALIDTMaya.png

IDT TinyTina brought 4 Rovanders to Dres.  The ship became a space station.  The rovers all landed at various parts of the surface, including the north pole, Dres trench, and Maya Base.

FINALIDTTinyTina.png

FINALRayselRand.png

FINALJosenTrench.png

FINALMaubertPole.png

FINALLeefordBase.png

FINALBasegroup.png

*** A few notes:

Yes I know the bright pink visors are annoying.  I probably should have gotten that fixed before I did this, but I was too excited about this mission.  (As of writing this, I realized I should have just removed TextureReplacerReplaced after the ships were launched, as I only use it for no helmets in atmosphere.)

I probably did it incredibly inefficiently.  I know it would have been better to stagger operations more, but meh.  Probably would have cut a good two years, at least.

I hope you enjoyed reading!

Edited by Geonovast

You weren't kidding when you said screenshot heavy...

My kraken, this is gorgeous! Not only a comprehensive network, but a permanent base too! I think it's clear you deserve what I must say...

Congratulations to @Geonovast, for completing the Dres Awareness challenge with an eight-satellite network and a base on the surface of Dres! Welcome to the Dres Supporter list!

Thanks!  I'm glad you liked it.  I actually enjoyed setting this up so much that I currently have two more ships on the way to Dres, and am probably going to be playing this save for awhile.  Idea right now is to snag a Dresteroid, pull it into low Dres orbit, and run an efficient orbital refueling port, since the Rovanders take a few... hundred... days... to refuel.

New phase completed!  This phase stands out because it combines two missions with a similar goal... and it was somewhat successful.  The good news is the research going on at Dres (not really, this is sandbox) has allowed some new, very needed parts to be developed back home (I downloaded some more mods).  Those parts have been scheduled for Phase 8.

Meet the new ships!

Washburn Class "IDT Roland"

The IDT Roland is essentially a prototype asteroid harvester overstocked with ISRU equipment.  Also sporting insufficient maneuvering capabilities and sub-par power generation, this vessel is sure to get our crew where they're going.  However they may find themselves fighting for their sanity when they arrive.  Uses an identical lifting/staging system as the TinyTina.

RolandAll.png

Unnamed ISRU / Storage module for IDT TinyTina Station.

LF/Ox & MP Tanks, along with massive cooling capabilities and Convert-O-Tron 250.  Includes KIS storage.  (I don't have a pre-launch SS and the craft file itself seems to be missing :( )

TTISRUUnit.png

"Hawkeye" Asteroid spotting telescope.

Hawkeye.png

Phase 7.1: Launching ISRU Component:

Spoiler

Launch; First Stage; Second Stage

ST101.pngST104.pngST106.png

Escape; Third Stage (front of nacelles are ejected)

ST1010.pngST1014.png

Phase 7.2: Loading and Launching Roland

Spoiler

Travel for nighttime launch (no explody launchpad this time!)

ST1021.png

Meet the crew of the Roland:

--Lead Engineer: Lerigh Kerman. --Backup Engineer: Tanlie Kerman

Vessel is to be flown remotely, engineers are just along for the ride.

ST1022.png

Launch; First Stage; Second Stage

ST1023.pngST1025.pngST1026.png

Third Stage; Fourth Stage

ST1031.pngST1033.png

Phase 7.3: ISRU Module Capture / Attachment

Spoiler

Capture burn; Docking, Bartsted Kerman prepping for attachment by bolting something to hold onto on the attachment point

ST1036.pngST1046.pngST1047.png

I wish I had more screenshots of this part.  The module disconnected from the nosecone by way of Konstruction! docking port, and a second port was pulled from the KIS container, and docked to the first one.  The module then moved itself below, and the second port was removed, then attached to the station.

ST1048.png

Docking; Welding

ST1051.pngST1052.png

Some cleanup:

Ladder removal; Nosecone ejection; Module controller / nacelle ejection

ST1053.pngST1054.pngST1055.png

Phase 7.4: Roland Update and Raysel return

*I think my favorite SS of this entire project is in here

Spoiler

IDT Roland hitting Stage 5 during manuevers

ST1057.png

Raysel decided to leave the surface and dock at TinyTina, getting a nice view of the trench on the way

ST1059.pngST1058.png

Station approach and docking

ST1062.pngST1063.png

ST1063.png

Phase 7.5 Finding Dresteroids, launching Hawkeye probes

Spoiler

Launched two of these.  First didn't go where I wanted, but just launched a second one instead.

ST1066.pngST1015.pngST1016.png

Phase 7.6 Roland capturing Dresteroid

This was the fun part

Spoiler

Approach; Start drilling (this was needed immediately as I was out of MP); Attempting to control asteroid ended up failing.  I got it close to Dres, but just could not correct the orbit

ST1079.pngST1084.pngST1093.png

After a few other issues, I decided to abort, and try again with a better equipped craft on a smaller Dresteroid

Brough Roland down into low orbit, docked with TinyTina; EVAed the two engineers over; Transfered as many resources as could

ST10100.pngST10102.pngST10103.png

Disposed of Roland.. :( There was no reason to keep it around any longer

ST10107.pngST10110.png

Edited by Geonovast

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.