[1.3.1] Orbus Planet Overhaul [v0.2]

TheSpacePotato

The Orbus Planet Overhaul is a planet pack based on a fictional solar system I envisioned when I was younger. It aims to consist of 13 planets and 23 moons (a lot, I know), all orbiting around a single (possibly blue) star named Orbus.

*Please wait with reviews until I get this mod to where I want it reviewed*

THE PLANETS

Spoiler

Red means it hasn't been started yet, orange means it's in-dev but not ready for release, yellow means it's been released but is still testing, and green means finished.

Orbus - The main star of the system

Cronis - Closest planet to Orbus, slowly being burnt to a crisp

Winsor - Small, scorched gas planet

Crys - Double planet

- Pirk - Large moon of Crys

====ASTEROID BELT====

Jern - Jungle planet that lost its oceans long ago

- Aquis - Small ocean moon

Ocan - Warm ocean planet

Orm - Home planet

- Minus - Small moon with massive cracks

- Lunas - Mun-like moon

Dus - Planet once like Orm, but sterilized by a large impact

- Irus - Volcanic moon

- Toul - Desert moon with a dense atmosphere

====ASTEROID BELT====

Dune - Mars-like planet

- Tarz - Dense metallic moon

Gigantor - Massive gas planet

- Ern - Moon blasted by Gigantor's radiation

- Janus - Terraformed gas moon (gas moon with reachable surface and life)

- Ilnus - Temperate Orm-like moon

- Cratora - Moon possibly visited by aliens

- Riterm - Large gas moon

- Laus - Desert moon, maybe lakes

Titius - Methane world (similar to Titan)

- Mar - Moon with seas (may be made of nitrogen)

- Prox - Smaller moon (may be a captured comet)

Minian - Ice giant

- Icar - Moon recently volcanic, has large volcanoes on the surface

- Wur - Duna-like moon

- Yela - Laythe-like moon

- Hardus - Cold Ice moon

Tidas - Ice world being heated by its moon (may become a double planet)

- Carma - Massive moon of Tidas

====ASTEROID BELT====

Pentum - Cold ice world with large canyons

- Ter - Small icy moon

- Chus - Large icy moon

Screenshots

Spoiler

Cronis:
screenshot1329.png?dl=1

Winsor:

screenshot1330.png?dl=1

Crys/Pirk:

screenshot1331.png?dl=1

Jern/Aquis:

screenshot1332.png?dl=1

Dus and its moons, Irus and Toul:

screenshot1333.png?dl=1

Dune/Tarz:

screenshot1334.png?dl=1

Gigantor and its moons, Ern, Janus, Ilnus, Cratora, Riterm, Laus:

screenshot1337.png?dl=1

Titius

screenshot1336.png?dl=1

Minian and two of its moons, Wur and Yela (still InDev):

screenshot1338.png?dl=1

Pentum:

screenshot1339.png?dl=1

CHANGELOG:

v0.2
- Added a bunch of new planets and moons
- Did some retexturing, tweaking
- Descriptions! Thanks to @Greatness101
- Fixed a bunch of bugs
- Everything is for the most part playable

v0.1
- Added Cronis
- Added Winsor
- Added Crys
- Added Ocan
- Added Dus
- Added Dune
- Added Gigantor
- Added Minian
- Added Pentum

Download here!

Planned Additions

Spoiler
  • Use better textures (have to use Space Engine textures because of lack of time)
  • Biomes
  • Tweak some of the bodies to make them more interesting
  • Sciencedefs
  • Visuals (EVE, Scatterer support)
  • ???

Special Thanks to:

@StarCrusher96 - Inspiration and Kopernicus help

@Greatness101 - Descriptions

@Gyrfalcon5 - Sciencedefs

Feel free to make suggestions, as this project is still heavily in-dev!

Edited by TheSpacePotato

I may be wrong, but I think this is in the wrong forum.  Since you are still developing this mod, and there's nothing to actually download, I believe it belongs in Add-On Development, and not Add-On Releases.

Simple mistake that can be fixed by messaging a Moderator.

The mod itself sounds interesting, though.  Good luck.

6 minutes ago, MaxxQ said:

I may be wrong, but I think this is in the wrong forum.  Since you are still developing this mod, and there's nothing to actually download, I believe it belongs in Add-On Development, and not Add-On Releases.

Simple mistake that can be fixed by messaging a Moderator.

The mod itself sounds interesting, though.  Good luck.

Haha, whoops :P thanks for letting me know.

• 3 weeks later...

Released V 0.1

Download it here!

Changelog:

- Added Cronis
- Added Winsor
- Added Crys
- Added Ocan
- Added Dus
- Added Dune
- Added Gigantor
- Added Minian
- Added Pentum
Spoiler

Yes, I know this can do a lot better. I still need to work with a few of the planets, update textures and fix some major bugs in the mod, but I just needed to get a testing version released to see if anyone finds bugs that I haven't noticed yet. I'm also going to have better textures for the planets in the future, all while juggling with school work. It'll take a while, but I think it'll be a decent mod when I'm finished with it :)

16 minutes ago, TheProtagonists said:

I like where this is going... any screenshots?

Not yet. I need to fix a major bug with the planets that causes the light to face sideways, but when that's fixed and I get textures I like better I'll start posting some screenshots.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress Update #1

I decided to start doing this to let you guys know what's going on and to possibly drive up a bit of hype over future releases. I might do this weekly depending on how much I get done each week.

So I started working on a few things. First, I got some new textures, as I didn't like a few of the ones I was using and wanted something better. Once I get my computer beefed up I'm going to try inserting higher-definition textures, but for know I have to stick with what I got.

One of the things I can confirm is going to be in v0.2 is moons. I started working on a few moons for some of the planets, and I'm pretty happy with how they've turned out so far.

Lastly, I've started working on a few testing biomes. I doubt they'll be released by the next update, but so far I have them planned to be released by at least v0.5.

That's all I got so far. I'll let you guys know what I'm working on next week if v0.2 isn't out by then :)

Progress Update #2

v0.2 is almost ready, and it's planned to have a lot of stuff added!

First, of all, we have  a few bug fixes. Planets and moons no longer face sideways to the Sun, which means that they actually have a sense of realism and not crappy development to them. I also have a bunch of planets and moons added, for example I have almost all the planets done, and around half of the moons too. At this rate I can expect all the planets and moons implemented by v0.3, which is my goal.

I also added descriptions (thanks to @Greatness101!), and it gives a bit of backstory (as well as a bit of lore) to the planets and moons being added. I also figured out how to add oceans onto terras, so we'll be seeing our first terras in v0.2 as well. A bunch of tweaking was done also. Planets and moons now have more realistic orbit colors (opposed from the colorful ones from v0.1), and a few of the bodies were retextured.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to add in Orm (the new homeworld) right now, as it seems something is preventing me from setting it as the homeworld (anyone know how to get that working? :P). Instead I moved the moons of Orm (Lunas and Minus) to orbit Kerbin until I can get that fixed, so it doesn't prohibit gameplay.

You can expect v0.2 to come out within the next week! :)

Progress Update #3

After the release of v0.2, I think I have enough to start talking about what I have planned for v0.3 :P

First, I'm working on getting the moons of Minian together. I've already got good concepts, and so far I have basic versions of two of the moons, and the other 3 shouldn't take as long. I'm also trying to work on moons of other bodies, such as Titius and Pentum, as well as Tidas and its moon. The plan is that by v0.3 all the bodies will be implemented in-game.

I'm also working on improving the existing bodies in-game. I've done flight testing for many of them, and I've been working on fixing the albedo bugs (some of the bodies show up way too bright), and the crash-in-SOI bug (the craft immediately explodes when it enters the SOI of some objects). I'm also going to work on fixing the atmospheres of some of them. For example, Dune's atmosphere is way too blue, and Dus' atmosphere is way too red. I've also started working on biomemaps for the bodies, so then a career-ready version should be available by at least v0.4/5. I also found that a few of the heightmaps were a bit weird, and I had those fixed for v0.3 :)

Another thing that's been worked on is sciencedefs, thanks to @Gyrfalcon5. He's been working on a ton of sciencedefs, and has already finished a ton of them, so they'll be put in the game so orbital science can be customized, and landing will be done later.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.