EVE Online

The Space Dino

Years ago, before EVE even existed, I had an idea about the ultimate RPG game. In my mind it was fairly close to what EVE is. The main aspect - player driven economy, is spot on. 

It's an awesome game, but for me it turned out to be a huge time sinker, so I decided to drop it. I couldn't keep up and the time needed to play it properly was simply not available.

Be careful not to get lost in it.

5 hours ago, Shpaget said:

Years ago, before EVE even existed, I had an idea about the ultimate RPG game. In my mind it was fairly close to what EVE is. The main aspect - player driven economy, is spot on. 

It's an awesome game, but for me it turned out to be a huge time sinker, so I decided to drop it. I couldn't keep up and the time needed to play it properly was simply not available.

Be careful not to get lost in it.

Agreed, doing things in it takes way more time than I expected.

I have some fond memories of EVE-O but it sucked up a lot of my time, as said above, even in a small corp. I had some really fun times tooling around solo too, that took less time per night; salvaging in faction warfare space, doing actual faction warfare, trying to gets kills in frigates and cruisers, wormhole diving and popping out to run some exploration sites in some null-sec alliance's backyard, playing cat-and-mouse (most often as the mouse), running the Orvolle Syndicate pipe in a blockade runner for giggles (harder than you think), can-flipping (when that was possible) and trolling the belts with a flag (when that became a thing), stealing, suicide-ganking pods and whatever else I could manage...

There's a lot to do but it's not spoon-fed to you, you need to have some initiative. I would suggest you decide on a place to start in terms of activities and then try to find a beginner corp to help with that. EVE UNI used to be a pretty standard starting point but they're mostly into PVE stuff and there's no way they'll help you get into the more disreputable "careers". Bottom line: Get to know the game a bit, accumulate some skills, do some reading (EVE UNI's site is actually very good), then find a corp to join, don't start one yourself.

Unless you're just going to play safe mining or something. Lord knows why you'd want to play a game simply to ignore it or be bored, but different strokes and all that.

Edited by regex

10 hours ago, regex said:

I have some fond memories of EVE-O but it sucked up a lot of my time, as said above, even in a small corp. I had some really fun times tooling around solo too, that took less time per night; salvaging in faction warfare space, doing actual faction warfare, trying to gets kills in frigates and cruisers, wormhole diving and popping out to run some exploration sites in some null-sec alliance's backyard, playing cat-and-mouse (most often as the mouse), running the Orvolle Syndicate pipe in a blockade runner for giggles (harder than you think), can-flipping (when that was possible) and trolling the belts with a flag (when that became a thing), stealing, suicide-ganking pods and whatever else I could manage...

There's a lot to do but it's not spoon-fed to you, you need to have some initiative. I would suggest you decide on a place to start in terms of activities and then try to find a beginner corp to help with that. EVE UNI used to be a pretty standard starting point but they're mostly into PVE stuff and there's no way they'll help you get into the more disreputable "careers". Bottom line: Get to know the game a bit, accumulate some skills, do some reading (EVE UNI's site is actually very good), then find a corp to join, don't start one yourself.

Unless you're just going to play safe mining or something. Lord knows why you'd want to play a game simply to ignore it or be bored, but different strokes and all that.

I have some plans for myself, basically thinking of doing some ratting (heard can be quite profitable even with frigates), then maybe do some PvP (I have this ridiculous idea about ganking gankers). Currently just mining and mining for cash as it's a more reliable way of income for me currently as I'm pretty busy. Good part is, alpha clones (which I am one) are getting battleships and much more skills and tech 2 stuff at the end of this month, along with more mining opportunities, so yay!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.