There and back again - My trip to minmus

MajorMushroom

I know a journey to minmus is no challenge. In fact, it some ways its probably one of the easiest things you can do. So if your looking for a daring tale of stunning proportions then you're in the wrong place. But to me it is still an achievement, and I feel like writing about it.

One of the things I love about Kerbal Space Program is the development. You start of with a rocket, and you improve it. I started off with the Mongrel V, the beauty that fist brought Kerbals to the moon, and I created the Minotaurs. (MIN-otaur, MIN-mus....) Anyway we began with the Minotaur I, which first orbited Minmus, and is still there now. The Minotaur IB arrived to fulfil contracts, and to test how much fuel I might need. It was the first satellite to have a Survey Scanner. I left it in Polar orbit and collected a nice 25 Science. Next I attempted to  land. Landing legs attached, Minotaur II landed on the surface of Minmus... almost. The engine was too low down and exploded on touchdown. This is where the fun of modification comes in. The Minotaur IIB was sent up, and was the first returned ship from the surface of the green moon. I must say the reentry was quite rough, G-force went off the scale... ah well. 

It was time - time for what really mattered. Jebediah was obviously the top choice for pilot, but I wanted to keep him safe for the flight of the A team to Duna. (Scheduled in about a year) Thus it was Enger Kerman, a fairly new pilot, but our trust fell to him.  At 1200 hours the Minotaur III took off from the launch pad. Everything went swimmingly. I'd rehearsed on 4 other ships, (only one had come back, but that's unimportant, what could go wrong?) Not long later, he was sitting in a tin can. Far above (a) moon. I picked a lovely smooth landing ground, perfect for a picnic. One beautiful landing later, Enger was on the surface. I actually had a lot of fun, jumping over my ship, but science was important and samples were collected. Reports done, flags planted we were back in space. 

Surprisingly everything went fine. Enger returned home safely (this time I burned until my Kerbin periapsis was at about 5km, unlike previously where it was inside the Earth.) That's a lovely ~300 science :) 

BONUS: After this I could afford the new satellite upgrade and could finally control my Sentinel Telescope orbiting the sun. Not long now and ill have 7 million contract completion payment, nice!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot a picture.. 

a3uUZai.png

11 hours ago, MajorMushroom said:

I know a journey to minmus is no challenge.....

Oh bah!  You know what the difference is between going to Minmus and going to any other planet (except Moho)?  Nothing, except you don't ever enter the sun's SOI.  Otherwise, a trip to Minmus requires you to do everything you'd do going to Duna, including waiting on a transfer window if you want to hit Minmus at its AN or DN with Kerbin.  So don't sell yourself short.  Besides, Minmus does have several challenging aspect, even if you've been there many times before.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.