[1.3.1] Interstellar Flight Inc. - Kerbal Life Support Mod Development thread

linuxgurugamer

Old life support mod, originally written by @Stavell, original thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83019-releasev32ksp-12-interstellar-flight-inc-kerbal-life-support-mod/&

Source code:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/IFI-Life-Support

License: GPLv3

Please go to this thread for the various releases:

The mod now includes the models made by @Akinesis

The mod also includes two different sets of greenhouses, both are using the public domain model made by @zzz  I haven't yet decided on which one to use, they are both based on configs posted in the original thread.

GOALS I have for my plug-in:

1. Tracks life support use even when ships are not loaded into scene.
  2. Based on Realistic Life Support values on use and weight. based on information from Life Support Systems at wiki.org
  3. Low overhead and play-ability with KSP.
  4. Life support tracked and used on EVA.
  5. Use only one new resource to simulate O2-Food-CO2 Scrubbers and recyclers, and emergency power ( LS resource use figures in Waste recycling based on Tech tree advances)

Currently the MOD is working with no game breaking bugs found yet.

1. therealcrow999 - Thank you for contributing the nice Logo and Flag for Interstellar Flight Inc.
  2. Universal Storage - Has Created a wedge that holds Interstellar Flight Life Support Resource more info can be found here
  3. spiritplumber - Has created a Part cfg for using a greenhouse part for use with the system Can be found here
  4. Sandworm - Created Modmanager file for HGR Parts -Thread is here
  5. Akinesis - Created more tanks for use with the mod Thread is here
  6. maxrsp - Has made a video featuring IFILS, thank you. Video Here

Current Working Features:

• Kerbal going on Eva takes Life Support from pod/vessel.
  • Boarding a pod returns unused Life support to pod/vessel.
  • Running out of Life Support  can kill crew
  • All pods have LS Resource and plug-in installed using Module Manager.

2 Custom parts a radial and a inline tank for Life-support resource storage. Universal Storage has created a wedge to hold Life-support giving you 3 options for extra LS storage.

Plug-in Operation Info:

Currently there are several Status LS system can be in:

• Pod Standby - No demand for LS and no resources consumed. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining is hidden.
  • Active - Demand for LS and resources consumed. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how long LS will last for whole vessel.
  • Visor - Kerbal on EVA breathing outside air decreased Resource consumption. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how much LS remains once active again (fixing).
  •  Intake Air - Pod using air intakes to provide O2 to crew - decreased Resource consumption. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how much LS remains once active again.
  •  CAUTION - Less than 2 days pod or 1 hour EVA of LS remaining. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read how long LS will last for whole vessel.
  • Warning! - LS  at 0. Kerbals will start dying if immediate action not taken. Life Support tag for days / hours of LS remaining will read 0.

Each unit of Life-Support should provide 1 Kerbin Day (6 hours) of Life support for 1 Kerbal. In Career and Science game modes this goes up and down based on Tech tree.

There is a settings page where this can be adjusted:

• LS rate per day
  • Breathable Atmo pressure (min allowed)
  • LS Rate adjustment when on homeworld
  • LS Rate adjustment when on another planet with O2
  • LS Rate adjustment when out of EC

Mod uses the time as set in settings menu so it will track 6 or 24 hour days depending on setting in main menu. Days remaining on RT click menu are accurate based on this setting. Only change in mod is that if not using kerbin time each Kerbal requires 4 units of LS per day.

Screen Shots

Crew Pod Life Support

Interface.jpg

Eva Life Support:

eva.jpg

Parts for system

Tanks.jpg

Resource Life Cycle (updated)

vbxhOsp.png

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hey LGG thanks for giving this mod some love- in the original thread you mentioned adding greenhouses which would be awesome. In my 1.2.2 install I hacky-added some extra LS tanks,  1.25m and 3.75m. You were looking for feedback- I think having those sizes is pretty convenient, you may want to add them.

15 minutes ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Hey LGG thanks for giving this mod some love- in the original thread you mentioned adding greenhouses which would be awesome. In my 1.2.2 install I hacky-added some extra LS tanks,  1.25m and 3.75m. You were looking for feedback- I think having those sizes is pretty convenient, you may want to add them.

Check out the beta, there are several new tanks and greenhouses

Thanks for picking this up @linuxgurugamer.  I'd love to be able to add some functionality to the mod, by using Resources such as Ores or O2, Nutrients and Parts as well as EC to generate the LifeSupport resources which is supposed to also included scrubbers? 

Anyway, would it be possible to add in the waste product of the LifeSupport as it would seem this is only lost overboard after consumption.

This has always been my favourite LS mod.  You're a gem.

Peace.

1 hour ago, theJesuit said:

Thanks for picking this up @linuxgurugamer.  I'd love to be able to add some functionality to the mod, by using Resources such as Ores or O2, Nutrients and Parts as well as EC to generate the LifeSupport resources which is supposed to also included scrubbers? 

Anyway, would it be possible to add in the waste product of the LifeSupport as it would seem this is only lost overboard after consumption.

This has always been my favourite LS mod.  You're a gem.

Peace.

The whole idea behind this mod is simplicity.  I can see adding scrubbers (maybe) but not any other resources.  If you want more complexity, then look at another LS mod.  I'd suggest USI-LS, it has a bit more detail, if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I am reducing the maxTemp on all the parts, from 2900 to 1500.  I am open to suggestions as to a better number, but 2900 is just too high

In stock, the generic maxTemp for low tech parts is 1200, medium tech 2000, and advanced/high tech 2500/2700.

Going by the looks alone, I'd classify the IFI parts in advanced/high tech, but they miss the specific reentry-minded details of Mk2/Mk3 parts, setting a high limit of say 2400.

At the same time, they look better designed than the stock medium tech parts, which would set the lower limit to 2000.

2200 seem like a good compromise?

46 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

In stock, the generic maxTemp for low tech parts is 1200, medium tech 2000, and advanced/high tech 2500/2700.

Going by the looks alone, I'd classify the IFI parts in advanced/high tech, but they miss the specific reentry-minded details of Mk2/Mk3 parts, setting a high limit of say 2400.

At the same time, they look better designed than the stock medium tech parts, which would set the lower limit to 2000.

2200 seem like a good compromise?

I decided to look at the USI Life support for inspiration.  I'll be raising the numbers slightly, but not a lot based on what I see in there

I still need to do the following before a release:

• The mod as written has "Kerbin" and "Laythe" hard-coded in place, with specific numbers which are based on the stock atmosphere.  I need to change that to be more generic, to allow this to be used with various planet packs

New parts and scaling looks great.  LS generating greenhouses are simple and efficient.   Only one item I noted.  Does 3.3.0.2  remove the script adding Lifesupport to all crewed parts?  My pods now lack LS as a resource.

36 minutes ago, jpkerman said:

New parts and scaling looks great.  LS generating greenhouses are simple and efficient.   Only one item I noted.  Does 3.3.0.2  remove the script adding Lifesupport to all crewed parts?  My pods now lack LS as a resource.

no, it's a bug which I just fixed, I'll be pushing out a new release in a few minutes

new release, 3.3.0.3:

• Added settings page
  • Added configurable values
  • Removed hard-coding of planet names
  • All settings are now based on planet values
  • Breathable atmosphere is only on the homeworld.
  • Optimized some calculations (consolidated constants)
  • Cleaned up the MM script to be calculated rather than hard-coded
  • Tested to work with DeepFreeze
Edited by linuxgurugamer

Really like the idea: Use only one new resource to simulate O2-Food-CO2 things.

And would you refer to other LS mods?  Because it seems that "Tracks life support use even when ships are not loaded into scene." and "Life support tracked and used on EVA." functions have already been achieved in other LS mods, like TAC LS and USI LS.

7 minutes ago, OME said:

And would you refer to other LS mods?  Because it seems that "Tracks life support use even when ships are not loaded into scene." and "Life support tracked and used on EVA." functions have already been achieved in other LS mods, like TAC LS and USI LS.

I'm not sure what you mean, "refer to other".

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not sure what you mean, "refer to other".

Sorry for my expression.

I mean "take the others as reference". Because I think that goals you listed are what are already realized in other mods.

Do I misunderstand something? I really know nothing about modding, please forgive.

22 hours ago, OME said:

Sorry for my expression.

I mean "take the others as reference". Because I think that goals you listed are what are already realized in other mods.

Do I misunderstand something? I really know nothing about modding, please forgive.

Not my goals, they were the goals of the original author.

I have noticed an oddity using this LS mod and the EVA parachute mod.    I have encountered my kerbals not having any LS when they escape (using abort button) from a MK1-2 capsule.  Escaping from a MK3 cockpit was OK.  Anyone else have this?

Edited by jpkerman

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 10:30 PM, jpkerman said:

I have noticed an oddity using this LS mod and the EVA parachute mod.    I have encountered my kerbals not having any LS when they escape (using abort button) from a MK1-2 capsule.  Escaping from a MK3 cockpit was OK.  Anyone else have this?

That's very odd, but this is still beta.

I'll take a look, but not sure why it would work with one and not another

Progress is being made:

I'm adding a number of new parts:  several sizes of greenhouses, some science parts, and some advanced recyclers.

I've been wrestling with the issue of the greenhouses generating life support out of nothing.  I did not want to add another resource, otherwise there would be no need for this because the USI-LS does a very nice job with two resources.

So, this is what I've come up with so far:

As a kerbal uses LS, internally (you never see it), it generates the same amount of waste, byproducts, etc.  So, if a Kerbal is using 1 LS unit a day, then internally it is tracked that there is 1 unit of waste.

There is no storage of this waste.  The waste is used by the Greenhouses, if no greenhouse is available, the waste is just discarded

Greenhouses need this waste to generate the Life Support resource, and can, depending on their size, turn between 50% and 90% of the waste back into the Life Support resource.  This solves the problem of the greenhouses just generating infinite Life Support.  The waste that the greenhouse doesn't use is an advanced form of waste and needs special care to recycle it.

There will be another type of part, I don't have a good name yet, which will be an advanced recycler.  The advanced recycler will only take the advanced waste, and will be able to turn it back into the Life Support resource.

Comments and questions are welcome

Edited by linuxgurugamer

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Progress is being made:

I'm adding a number of new parts:  several sizes of greenhouses, some science parts, and some advanced recyclers.

I've been wrestling with the issue of the greenhouses generating life support out of nothing.  I did not want to add another resource, otherwise there would be no need for this because the USI-LS does a very nice job with two resources.

So, this is what I've come up with so far:

As a kerbal uses LS, internally (you never see it), it generates the same amount of waste, byproducts, etc.  So, if a Kerbal is using 1 LS unit a day, then internally it is tracked that there is 1 unit of waste.

There is no storage of this waste.  The waste is used by the Greenhouses, if no greenhouse is available, the waste is just discarded

Greenhouses need this waste to generate the Life Support resource, and can, depending on their size, turn between 50% and 90% of the waste back into the Life Support resource.  This solves the problem of the greenhouses just generating infinite Life Support.  The waste that the greenhouse doesn't use is an advanced form of waste and needs special care to recycle it.

There will be another type of part, I don't have a good name yet, which will be an advanced recycler.  The advanced recycler will only take the advanced waste, and will be able to turn it back into the Life Support resource.

Comments and questions are welcome

Hoorah @linuxgurugamer!  I like this - and some thoughts below.

I wouldn't be too worried about hiding the Waste resource, really with the added complexity you are suggesting, I think it would be more transparent and simple if it was in the 'open', with storage being an option then.   USI-LS does have the two resources but every time I look at it (with the additional of the USI-Tools), it does seem like a rather complicated system and doesn't use the amounts of 1 Unit per Kerbal per Day which is simplicity and is the basis of LS!

Any generation of Waste beyond the limited storage would still then be dumped - any waste generated on EVA is dumped, basically what the system is now.

I like the idea that the Greenhouses aren't 100% efficient though, with your suggestion of 1 Waste + EC = .5~.9 LifeSupport with the additional Waste dumped.

Have you considered the ability to use Ore to to generate Life Support to create the closed loop - again at a low efficiency, like 1 Waste + 1 Ore + EC = 1 LS?  This would be the job of the advanced recycler, which means that rather than wait for the tech tree, some ISRU needs to be used for long term missions.

If you keep on your train of thought though, could you also make it toggle and changeable in a cfg setting? Or is it easier for you to hardcode in the amount and resources generated?  Then, if someone wanted to extend this mod, and tie into an extension of EPL and GC with different Ores and such (asking for a friend? :) ) it would then be possible.  Again I know USI does this, but not necessarily in a basic stock-alike sense that IFILS uses.

Thanks for building on this great mod.

Peace.

If I go with having an additional resource, then I actually need to create two new resources. The first would be the waste, for which I'd like get a better name for, and the second would be the advanced waste or Biohazard Waste which would be used by the advanced recycling.

I will then have to create tanks to store these two new resources.

I'm not against this, as long as it makes reasonable sense. Would like to hear other people's opinions though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.