Craft Bounce after Loading. Landing Gear Clipping through Ground

I constructed a large 362 part heavy SSTO. It was able to land on Mun, Duna...all sorts of places. But upon loading the craft from any landed environment, the craft will bounce upwards and often destroy itself due to flipping over. With closer inspection I noticed that when the game is loaded, for the very first few frames, the wheels will clip into the ground and thus create the bounce. This also happens when exiting time acceleration. What is causing this and how can I stop it!!!??? 

FYI I'm using five LY-99 landing gears. Are they the problem?

Please Help Forum...For you guys are my only hope...

Edited by evanerv

Assuming you're using the latest version of the game - 1.3.0 or 1.3.1 - have you enabled Physics Ease-In (I think that's what it's called in the settings)?  Maybe Gravity Ease-In?

Basically, instead of just loading the craft and physics kicks in all at once, it gradually brings in the physics.  This is to help with heavy vehicles, such as your spaceplane.  You can see it best when launching a heavy rocket from the pad, as the ship will appear to "sag" into the pad after a few seconds after the scene loads.

It's made a bit worse with regards to spaceplanes, or other heavy aircraft, because the landing gear actually touches the surface (on a pad, the launch clamps prevent that, provided you have the rocket held off the surface when you build it in the VAB).  It also doesn't help that there was some tweaking done to the landing gear a few versions ago (it was a Unity issue that Squad couldn't really work around much) that had this sort of thing happening all the time, and it still causes some issues today, even though it's been "fixed".

Anyway, try checking that setting in the options screen from the main menu.  If it's not that, then I'm sure others will poke their heads in here and offer some other advice.

11 hours ago, evanerv said:

Hi, there's a lot of us being affected by this bug, it seems to by mainly centered around landing gear, and while it was thought fixed in pre release it's worse than ever in the release version (not the first time this kind of thing has happened) 

There is a bug report relating on the bug tracker, sign up sign in and vote it up , in the hope that we can get a patch soonest.

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/16090

12 hours ago, evanerv said:

I constructed a large 362 part heavy SSTO. It was able to land on Mun, Duna...all sorts of places. But upon loading the craft from any landed environment, the craft will bounce upwards and often destroy itself due to flipping over. With closer inspection I noticed that when the game is loaded, for the very first few frames, the wheels will clip into the ground and thus create the bounce. This also happens when exiting time acceleration. What is causing this and how can I stop it!!!??? 

FYI I'm using five LY-99 landing gears. Are they the problem?

I was having the same problem it is in the physical easing as MAXXQ stated. Mine was so bad it was blowing ship up it also will make fairing blowup with everything inside it. as of now you can do 3 things, adjust it in your option don't clip or the best I have found is turn on unbreakable joints while loading to pad and than turn it off once things have settled down. As MaxxQ stated it happen more with bigger heavier ship. 

Thanks for the updates and suggestions people. I've done all the physics easing stuff and even tried using a mod that made the entire craft into one single unit instead of parts, yet nothing works. It seems when the wheels are involved, the clipping happens. I tried just parking the plane on the belly, and the "bounce after loading" issue doesn't happen.  Also I've given an up tick to the bug tracker, and thank you for the very appropriate info SpannerMonkey.

• 5 weeks later...

As a short term solution i resolved this issue by editing the config file for the LT-2 Landing Struts, the ones that gave me the most bounce on load issues. I changed damperRatio = 1 to damperRatio = 10 and this caused the strut to spring back quicker which solved the problem. Maybe the force of the bounce is relating to the length of time the part is clipped? Might be why the problem is more pronounced on heavier ships.

G:\Steam\steamapps\Common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\Squad\Parts\Utility\landingLegLT-2

Relevant lines:

targetPosition = 1.0                  <-- not sure            
        springRatio = 6                   <-- when set to 0 the strut sags to the ground, I think a high number would make them ridgid(maybe they would break on                                                                       landing)
        damperRatio = 10              <-- at 0 the bounce never ends, at 10 it stabilizes quickly with minimal bounce
        boostRatio = 0.6                 <-- not sure     

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.