Career WITH STORY LINE!!! (And Cutscene off course)

Just now, Scoutman1121 said:

I would support this, but on one condition. That the user can customize how the story plays out. Because, really KSP is a sandbox game. You should be able to determin how your story begins and ends. Keep in mind, the game is still a form of sandbox.

One of my absolute favorite RPG's was Neverwinter Nights 2... The first one was good, but the second was one of the best D&D games I've ever played... and for the record, I was winning D&D tourney's long before a lot of you were born... lol... :rolleyes:

Anyway, one of the things I liked, besides the story itself, was as the story-line progressed, or didn't, depending on the player's actions, the story changed... Do one thing, the story goes one way... make a different decision, and the story goes a different path... I played it half a dozen times and it came out different each time... but inevitably led to the same conclusion... more or less.

Granted, attempting something like this for KSP would be much harder than just writing a single plot... but I think could be much, much more fun, if it was done right.

Oh... and like I think I wrote somewhere earlier, I would opt for something like this to be a 4th play option, and leave the original 3... Sandbox, Science, & Career-mode... the way they are now.

I was thinking that the diffrent quests in the storyline would be in the form of contracts. So, there would be special contracts which would lead to various follow-up contracts and the storyline would advance by completeting them. There could also be reputations for diffrent groups so you could have a very good reputation with Kerbodyne but a horrible rep with the general public, which influences what kind of character your space program is and what story-driven contracs you get.

I'm opposed to it.

I've played and replayed KSP many times.  Where's the interest if it's always "follow this script, do these things, get this result" every time?  Even if you throw in multiple paths, depending on what the player does, you're still constraining us to a finite set of results.

Each time I play, I get to write a new story, and it's never the same. (Except the early game.  Once hitting orbit, who knows where it will go? (And then add mods on top of that...))

I think the only way a 'storyline' could work for normal gameplay, as opposed to a specific structured tutorial, would be in the form of linked 'missions' (very much like current contracts but with less choice).

Complete mission A, which triggers mission B, and so on - well, the whole point of a STORY is to limit options and give you a pre-set path to follow right?

It's not for me, but I can see that it appeals to other players, so as an option why not.

Maybe the Mission Builder in the forthcoming Making History DLC will facilitate the creation of 'stories' that players can then share.  I would quite probably enjoy playing through some of these for a change.

But to have a 'set' KSP story much like those on the FPSs I have played really doesn't appeal to me at all.

I'm not sure about a more structured storyline, but it would be fun to have little cutscenes or maybe mocked up front pages of newspaper whenever a World First was completed - first orbit, first landing on moon, first landing on mars, etc. Also when a Kerbal dies.

Extra points if the news article or the footage in the cutscene included details drawn from the your actual landing - pic/footage of the landing, dynamically including the names of the Kerbals and the ship that was involved

After I made my first Mars landing the game just kind of trundled on as if nothing special had happened...It was a really exciting moment for me and it would have been more exciting if the game gave me some feedback

Edited by Tyko

I don't get how people say a sand box cant have a story line. There aren't many popular sand box games today that dont have a story line. One of the greatest sandbox games of all time- the GTA series has had a story line since I can remember (One you couldn't change the outcome of). I have never even played a game other than KSP that doesn't have  some sort of story. You might be right that a story line wouldn't make the best sense in KSP but the argument of sandbox's don't have stories is just stupid and certainly not based on any evidence.

Edited by harrisjosh2711

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

I'm not sure about a more structured storyline, but it would be fun to have little cutscenes or maybe mocked up front pages of newspaper whenever a World First was completed - first orbit, first landing on moon, first landing on mars, etc. Also when a Kerbal dies.

Extra points if the news article or the footage in the cutscene included details drawn from the your actual landing - pic/footage of the landing, dynamically including the names of the Kerbals and the ship that was involved

After I made my first Mars landing the game just kind of trundled on as if nothing special had happened...It was a really exciting moment for me and it would have been more exciting if the game gave me some feedback

Yeah i guess that was good idea

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.