Concurrent Missions

Omaha

For me it depends on a few things and how active you're meaning - As I've got a pile of USI stuff installed I tend to end up with at least a couple of stations each around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus, plus taxis transferring between them. There's also the surface installations and long duration rover missions - obviously each of these has finite supplies. For that KAC is a blessing - set an alarm tied to the vessel less some wiggle room based on remaining life support, at the very least it gets me to check in every once in a while.

On top of that there's usually at least a few interplanetary probes wandering around with a manoeuvre node in their future somewhere -again, alarm set for the node.

Currently looking at establishing my first ever base on Duna and however I go about it it's looking like a minimum of 2 launches (more likely 3) to send everything and I'm planning on launching each exactly 1 Kerbin day apart during the next launch window

On 10/11/2017 at 11:40 AM, regex said:

Nuclear Fuel Slug 2

Are you putting probe cores on fuel rods?  :P

On 10/11/2017 at 1:51 PM, Omaha said:

Sometimes the challenge for me is remembering burn times since the maneuver tool has a habit of forgetting them when you leave a craft and return to it.  I can recalculate them but that's wasted time; I'll often just update the craft name with something like "SHIP NAME (46s)" so I can remind myself when I get back what the next burn is; another feature I've always wanted is a "ship's log" or some way to take notes on a particular ship.  There's pen and paper, yes, but it would be easier (hopefully) if there was an in-game mechanism for just jotting stuff down.

KAC to the rescue once again -- you can add detailed notes to any alarm.  I usually shove stuff in the alarm such as the burn time (in case the game forgets), the nature of/reason for the burn, weird craft handling notes, and the overall mission situation.

Edited by Archgeek
s/ususally/usually //who's USU Sally?

I usually have between 5 and 8 missions going on by the time I start going interplanetary (mostly those are probes to different planets). I think my current record is ten concurrent missions, though I can't remember exactly what they all were (I think there were an orbiter+ lander probe, a couple of flyby probes, and at least 2 crewed missions among them).

In New Horizons I'm likely to break this record, because as soon as I go interplanetary I'll be sending at least two space probes to each of the four gas giants (not counting Sonnah), as well as other probes to the other 6 planets (it would be 5 but I added Asclepius), and some crewed missions on top because I'll still have the Serran program to complete. That said, I'll probably only be doing one crewed mission at a time since Kerbalism seems to be having issues with managing food/water/oxygen/etc on multiple crewed vessels in the version I'm using (the most recent before KSP 1.3.1 came out).

I'm a firm believer in KAC, I regularly have missions that look like regex's screenshot, sometimes two simultaneously.  Combining payloads just isn't practical beyond a certain point, though I'll gladly push it to that point.  In fact, every recent tourist mission to the Mun or Minmus in my current save has dropped off supplies/fertilizer to my Minmus base and the location I've picked out for my first Mun base.

Even my strictly-probe Duna mission was too much for one launch.  Of course, it was a lot more than a lander or two.  Eight comms satellites, six probe landers for Duna, two probe landers for Ike, a land-and-return probe for each, two mapping satellites (I didn't have all the techs unlocked when I launched the first one, so they could have been combined), and one high atmosphere sample skimmer for Duna.

Let me key you in on my current sandbox save.

Munbase 2 Refinery on surface of Mun with crew of six kerbals.
Minnmus Lab 1 on surface of Minnmus with crew of six kerbals.
Multiple pieces of separate support equipment on the surface near each base.
Three satellites each in orbit around both the Mun and Minnmus.
One six-kerbal expedition to Eve, currently on the outbound leg. (Includes one Gilly surface base, one Gilly refinery module, two Gilly landers, and the science lab/spacetug they're docked to.)
Two satellites in mid-Kerbol orbit.
Aroura space station currently being assembled in orbit around Kerbin by a fleet of space shuttles.
Duna Expedition Two scheduled for launch in two hundred days. (Includes one Duna Ascent Vehicle, one Duna Roving Vehicle, and one science lab/spacetug. It will carry a crew of seven kerbals.)

Edited by Confused Scientist

My current active missions (RSS / RO / RP0) :

-Neptune Explorer 01 (orbiter for neptune // still underway)

-Uranus Explorer 01 (orbiter for uranus // still underway)

-Saturn Explorer 01 (first orbiter // still underway)

-Saturn Explorer 02 (second orbiter // still underway)

-Modular Space station (station in orbit around earth // not entirely finished)

-Venus Project (station is already there // crew launched today)

-Jupiter Return Project (a probe which went to jupiter and is about to return to earth)

-Mars Explorer 02 (orbits Phobos)

-Galileo 02 (orbits jupiter)

-Galileo 01 (orbits jupiter)

-Moon Rover (a rover on the surface of the moon, waiting for the next crew)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sure I forgot a few missions. So time warping for decades is really not my thing, especially because I am using RP0 and I can compete with NASA.

I am always trying to do as many missions as possible

Edited by Julien Kerman

I'm fueling up a surface outpost, an ATV, a surface miner, an asteroid miner and a NERVA propelled explorer (set to plant the flag and come back with the first bunch of science data), all separate flights, shooting for Dres in about 120 days or so. That's 5 flights, not counting the relay/survey satellites, which are already in place anyway.

For Duna and Ike I obviously had to send two surface outposts, two ATVs, a surface miner and an explorer. That was 6 flights.

Eve and Moho expeditions set out together, since I would use Gilly as a pit stop, before sending Moho expedition on it's way from there. Eve got an ATV and a small habitat, Gilly got an orbital lab, a lander and a surface miner. For Moho, it was my "usual" surface outpost, ATV & surface miner. That was 8 flights in total.

Coming back to Dres expedition, 5-10 days before the transfer maneuver, I'll send up their respective crews via spaceplane.

There are also a pair of relay/survey sats, reaching Eeloo in about a year and a half and a 20seat Mun-Minmus-Solar orbit tour/training lander, currently on it's way out of Kerbin's SOI. Haven't done anything about Jool yet, but I'm sure it'll be interesting, given the amount of flights I'm allocating on anything a Kerbal can set a foot on.

Besides these, there's a bunch of rescues I've got to do around Kerbin, Mun, Minmus and Duna, along with a part recovery in Moho's orbit, for none of which I've sent anything out -yet :P

Still, none of these has beaten the pressure I had faced back in 1.05, with 6 (or was it 7?) flights reaching Duna while headed for Dres (was using Duna as an intermediate stop back then) and refueling all of them in time to hit the optimal Dres transfer window, which was in about 20 days or so...

Edited by Atkara

On 10/14/2017 at 9:27 AM, invision said:

i do 1 mission at a time as i tend to forget to check up on the other in progress missions

Kerbal Alarm Clock really helps at this. There are many great examples of use in the thread above.

I play with Life Support, and I wanted to have crewed station in all the planets and moons (in career game with a Community Tech Tree)... The most quickly as possible. So now I have 10 missions If I can capture the two asteroids I will have the fuel enough for all the missions. Thanks to Kerbal Alarm Clock I can have all the missions at the same time. 

Now I am at the moment constructing the surface stations at Minmus  to build the space ships in orbit on the captured  asteroids. @RoverDude mods. 

Usually I left the game when a new version appears... But in the last two new versions the changes are low so I will continue when all the mods that I use are for version 1.3.1.

At this moment I have a family of drones going to Duna  and a family of drones to Jool. When they came back in 3-5 years I will have enough science to unlock all the tree.   

When I will finish the construction of the colonies I will change the game using a weapons mod to ... Independence wars... if I arrive at that moment I will share the save file with the community.

Describing my game I have the feeling that I am masochist.

If you are a stock purist(like me), but also want to juggle multiple missions, there is something to keep in mind:

NASA currently has a plethora of missions on their plate. Whether they are in the planning stage, construction, prelaunch, launch, in progress, or somewhere in between all of that, those missions are being overseen by designated teams, some which number in the dozens and even are partnered up with other space agencies like the ESA, RSA, or private firms like SpaceX, among others private, military, and public.  Not to forget a lot of those teams' members are sitting in on other teams, as well.

That's a lot of eyes keeping an eye on how things go and to look out for the small stuff(like a little bubble on the limb of Io photographed by Voyager 1 and realized by Linda Morabito to be a volcano, the first extra-terrestrial active volcano discovered)

In KSP you have just you to oversee every mission you are assembling, launching, and having in progress.  It would actually be downright insane to have anything beyond three missions without a little help.  Going through a landing operation while you have two modules near rendezvous for docking procedures puts either of those or both at risk of failure.  Especially if you are in career and have an expiration date looming for one of the missions.

So a mod like KAC which would be there to aid you, to even better schedule your missions so certain windows don't happen at the same time, would be wise to have.

Me? Being more hands-on, I am fine keeping it more simple.  I am just saying you shouldn't feel bad for bringing a calculator to the test.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.