We Who Witnessed (CURRENTLY BEING RE-WRITTEN/REVAMPED)

Kerbinchaser

Prologue: The First Days

A light rain made a tin *plink plink* sound on the roof. Inside this small shack was a metal cot, which sagged from the sheer weight of the person lying on it. The slow and deep snoring seemed to annoy a field mouse, which had just entered the shack. 

Besides the cot, the shack was populated with many other 'personal' items. Hanging from the aluminum roof, for example, was a radio, which was on, but not very well tuned, so it sounded like someone was talking into the microphone.

"This is the National United Kerbal States weather forecast for Saturday, August 19th. Heavy rain expected in some areas of the highlands and plains. Temperatures are around 76° and cloudy. There is a small boat advisory for the seas off of the KSC, with waves of 3...." *Click* 

The heavy set man rose and switched off the radio. Sighing, he stood up and walked to the entrance of his shelter. Yawning and stretching his arms as wide as he could, he scratched his back and walked over to his small counter, made of scrap rocket parts, and lit a portable gas stove, that had a ceramic teapot on it. 

While the water began to boil, the fellow began to talk to himself. "Ah, bloody... Forgot to grab my blasted mug again. Now, where was it?"

The person began to rummage in an old chest, until he pulled out an old tin cup, probably used in the military. 

"Aha! There you are, you sneaky mug. You will hold coffee today!"

Saying this with gusto, he stared out of his shack, looking over the vast plains of Kerbin with a smile, daydreaming about his past life, when a large dust cloud in the distance made his smile fade to a frown, and he gripped his mug tighter. 

"Blast! Those bloody prospectors again! I gotta get my rifle!"

And saying, he once again accessed his chest, grabbing a bolt action rifle, maybe from 75 years gone by. 

"Come at me boys. I'm ready for ya."

Meanwhile, coming towards him on vehicles were prospectors, Kerbals with a mind for adventure and progress. One of these men, an engineer, spoke up. 

"So, where are we going today? I mean, we've been driving for 3 hours now, and I've already seen lots of other places to settle down."

The driver, looking in the mirror at the speaker, sighed, and answered him. 

"We're going to find someone. An old friend. I haven't seen him in what, 20 years?"

The engineer, looking out of the window thoughtfully, mumbled. "Yeah. I remember him. That old pilot. After the accident, he didn't fly again, did 'e?"

"Nope. Never again. But lock and load, because he's an old coot."

The other passengers, two United Kerbal States army lieutenants, which were armed with assault rifles and vests. One of them, while loading his gun, advised the team on the situation. 

"Listen up guys. This guy is a old, angry, retired naval pilot. He'll have that military spirit, which is to NEVER to give up. He'll probably be armed. So let us go first and do the talking. Okay?"

Saying this, he slammed the magazine into the firearm to make a point. 

The driver, chewing gum and wearing shades, slowly came to a stop, and looking out the left window, told everyone, "There he is guys. And you soldiers were right. He's armed. Look."

The owner of the shack was standing in a shooting stance, with the rifle held at his side. The soldiers in the car slowly got out of the car, and held their hands up, to show that they weren't going to shoot. 

The man yelled at them. "Get off this land. You don't belong here. You brought soldiers and guns, yet what do you want?"

The first soldier spoke initially. 

"Listen, we know what your past was, and we need you back. Please. Just get in the car and we'll talk about it later. Please."

The man with the rifle lowered it and responded in a louder voice. "Get OFF this property. I bought it, and I DON'T WANT A BLOODBATH."

Right after he yelled that, the driver of the truck jumped out and shouted directly at the owner, "Jebediah! It's me! Bill! Please, come to the vehicle."

Jeb staggered, dropped the rifle, and fell backwards. 

The soldiers moved in, kicked his rifle away, and helped him to the truck. Putting him in the back seat, Jeb found himself next to the engineer,  and another kerbal, who whispered,

"Jeb. It's me, Gene. Good to see you again."

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

Chapter 1: The restart

The rain had subsided by the time the convoy reached the KSC. The sun was just beginning to poke its way through the clouds, and the birds circling the complex were chirping and singing with delight. 

Jebediah glanced out the window at the Astronaut Complex as they drove in. An aircraft was landing in the runway, and yellow maintenance vehicles were driving about. 

Gene smiled at Jeb. "Do you remember this place? Last time you were here was 20 years ago I think."

Jebediah, resting his head on his hand and looking out the glass, sighed and nodded his head. 

As the truck came to a stop outside the administration building, Gene motioned for Jeb to follow him, and they walked in. 

A female kerbal greeted them. "Hello Gene. And.. Is that JEB?"

Jeb smiled and hugged her. "Hello Valentina."

Valentina came out from behind the reception desk and hugged Jeb.  "This way guys." 

with Val Leading the way, Jeb and Gene found themselves in the Mission control room, with all the glass panelling and large windows, pointed at the launchpad.

Jeb let out a low whistle. "Wow Gene. It's all changed. Since when did you get these glass monitors?"

Gene chuckled. "Some guys at RPM gave 'em to us.They've worked well so far."

Jeb grinned. "Why did you bring me here? Just to show me this?"

Gene walked over to Jeb with his arms crossed. "Actually, no. I want you to look around you. Now, look outside at the launchpad. What do you see?"

Jebediah panned his eyes over to the window. "Why, its the KerbalX! What is that there for?

Gene pointed to the top of the rocket. "Well, we removed the landing legs and batteries, and replaced them with fold out solar panels and more batteries..."

Jeb interrupted Gene, and cut-in. "Okay, but why is it on the launchpad? I mean, you could do all that in the VAB and just keep it for later."

Gene gritted his teeth slightly and exclaimed, "I was getting to that." Looking up In contemplation, he whispered, "Jeb, that rocket is going to do a fly-by of the Mün."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...