ESO to announce "unprecedented discovery" on October 16

Mitchz95

17 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

They just have discovered that Pluto is a planet.

Reminds me of a funny moment in Boris Chertok's memoirs of the Soviet space program...  when Luna 3 (Hail the probe!) sent back the first photos of the far side of the moon, the early ones didn't come through very clearly.  When asked what the results were, Chertok responded, "We have determined that the moon is round."   :D    (Chertok frequently seems to have been a wise guy, which is one of the things that make his memoirs enjoyable.)

No. I won't be tricked into the hype again. Too many times it turned out to be a really fascinating collision between two particles, or clay - like minerals somewhere or an epic photo of 'may-be may-be not' moonlet of Saturn. You wanna excite me again, Science? Show me something truly jaw-dropping.

On 10/12/2017 at 5:05 AM, cypher_00 said:

It's about the first evidence of two colliding neutron stars instead of colliding black holes detected by LIGO and VIRGO and optically confirmed by ESO's VLT is my guess.

7 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

Ok. Whose bet was on the visible and gravitational observation of the merger of two neutron stars ?

:-)

Is that the case, I can't watch the stream right now?

Edited by insert_name

19 hours ago, Scotius said:

You wanna excite me again, Science? Show me something truly jaw-dropping.

I don't know... This is actually pretty exciting. We are seeing  a whole new branch of astronomy/astrophysics being opened up with the advent of gravitational wave detectors, and in my mind this announcement really validates this year's Nobel Prize in Physics.

3 hours ago, Green Baron said:

Ok. Whose bet was on the visible and gravitational observation of the merger of two neutron stars ?

Sort of!

On 10/11/2017 at 2:19 PM, UmbralRaptor said:

Going to guess an optical counterpart to a gravitational wave detection. (Probably not, since I don't think VIRGO and ESO have much overlap?)

Also, it's really cool how fast LIGO has gone from "we can detect gravitational waves" to constraining stellar astrophysics.

31 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

So, why did the gravitational wave come to Earth 2 seconds before the X-rays?

I doubt that was the case. I would guess that's within the margins of signal detection and processing in the instruments.

Edit: ... or travel through intergalactic medium (which is incredibly thin but existent) acted as a filter, or the processes during the merger have a sequence ... but i am guessing.

Edited by Green Baron

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.