Haumea has rings

insert_name

7 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Phew, now i neeed to FRIECKING REDRAW IT BECAUSE OF THAT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SCREW YOU HAUMEA AND SCREW YOUR MOONS TOOOOOOOO

Not so fast, they imaged nothing, they only looked at light dimming. The shape of the ring and its composition are not easily discerned from that splattering of information. The ring itself may be transient do to the interation of the spinning planet with other nearby objects.

1 hour ago, PB666 said:

Not so fast, they imaged nothing, they only looked at light dimming. The shape of the ring and its composition are not easily discerned from that splattering of information. The ring itself may be transient do to the interation of the spinning planet with other nearby objects.

the paper said that the inhomogenous ring hypothesis was unlikely on page 4

the rings in question on Haumea  could very likely be accumulated dust caught in the gravity well of the planetoid dating back eons, possibly even left over from a past collision dating back billions of years to the formation of our solar system. lastly it could be telephoto artifacts (such as glare from the refracting body) this is what we have yet to observe closely. 
all things considered I would definitely not put it past that sneaky little rock to have vacuumed up something of a rubble pile in it's ancient and lonely past. or even been the victim of an interstellar assault by a much smaller and far angrier body. it is even possible that it passed through a tail of comet dust at it's 284.12 year cycle. what can be determined from light spectral analysis? actually quite a lot believe it or not. 
the observer can determine the presence of particles and sizable bodies around an object due to the change in albedo. 
although lets be clear, the method is not entirely exact, what we are unable to determine is an absolute answer as to the what, the why and the how..

On 10/11/2017 at 5:32 PM, kerbiloid said:

Six more dwarf planets should have rings, too.

So if you colonize Haumea, does it bring wealth (and arbitrarily prolonged life*)?

* I'm not sure the 7 had that effect on the dwarves, but they apparently brought wealth with little side effects.  Sauron wasn't happy with the results.

5 hours ago, wumpus said:

I'm not sure the 7 had that effect on the dwarves, but they apparently brought wealth with little side effects. 

Dwarves themselves were too greedy and selfish themselves to be effected by the rings, but the Dwarvish rings were attracting gold to their keepers. Then some of them have been eaten by dragons, others just disappeared.
So, we should search the ringed dwrf planets and mine there for gold and other minerals. Miner ship would be named Ishimura Smaug.

56 minutes ago, Adstriduum said:

Huge discoveries like this make that other dwarf planets boring. I remember when Haumea was just a potato.

I remember when Pluto was just a fuzzy smear through the HST. We've come a long way. :)

Based on how oblong moons tend to affect rings in the Saturnian system, I would expect the Haumean ring to be wavy and possibly exhibit standing waves or oscillating patterns. Some simulation should be done to predict what happens to the ring as Haumea rotates underneath.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.