KSP Getting Review-Bombed?

Cpt Kerbalkrunch

Not sure if you guys have seen this already, but I just saw the KSP store-page on Steam, and they've been getting review-bombed the last few days. Had to look it up to see it was Chinese players angry over the change to that whole "your not a real hero/male" line. PC crap like that would just get a shrug and a head shake here, but it looks like more and more the review-bomb is getting used as the go-to weapon for angry players in China. Glad to see that Steam has a response to it now. They show the overwhelming number of excellent reviews over the past few years, and point out that the overwhelming number of negative reviews have come in the past few days; with an option to exclude those reviews from your page. Hope people thinking about joining the KSP universe can see this tactic for what it is: collective foot-stomping to try to get your way. Unfortunately, they keep using this technique because it's been producing results. Steam reviews are powerful and important. I hate to see them getting used dishonestly like this.

being a woman id never understand why it's so hard for others to just except that gender does not make a person any less. a woman can do all the same things as a man.

I think what you are seeing is the typical internet disinhibition effect in it's true and mighty glory. its really sad actually. but there it is.
I for one thing Kerbal is amazing and fun for anyone who can hack the challenging astrophysics either instinctually, with robotic assistance or with hard math.
the thing is people bend to popular opinion over what is rational and true. reviews though ought to be taken with a grain of salt.
there are good games with bad reviews and terrible games with extremely good reviews.
I completely agree with what you have to say. it is dishonest and serves nothing

Yeah it's been a "thing" the past few days on the Steam forums, the moderator is doing the best he can with it.

I don't have a problem with them protesting it and stating their opinion but review bombing a game is really underhanded, especially over something like this.

Here's hoping this can get resolved soon in a way that makes everyone happy.

1 hour ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

the change to that whole "your not a real hero/male" line

I've had my head in the sand and/or clouds for a while regarding both KSP and China, but I don't understand this reference. Was something changed in KSP marketing, or is there a large contingent of Chinese gamers who hate all games where your'e not a male hero, or something else?

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I've had my head in the sand and/or clouds for a while regarding both KSP and China, but I don't understand this reference. Was something changed in KSP marketing, or is there a large contingent of Chinese gamers who hate all games where your'e not a male hero, or something else?

Supposedly it's a very famous Chinese saying about reaching the Great Wall. KSP changed it to refer to the Mun. I guess players liked it, but some people complained about the line being sexist, so they changed it. As it turns out, the phrase in Chinese doesn't really have a gender to it. It translates to "hero" or something close to it. Anyway, Chinese players are angry it got changed because the line is so famous to them. I read a quote that said it would be the equivalent of changing "mankind" to "homosapien kind" or something. That too would just make me shrug and shake my head, but there ya go.

8 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

The basic gist is some Chinese saying about "only a real hero can get to the Mun" or something like that written on the side of the rocket on the main menu.

As was explained to me by a Chinese player; the word used for "hero" here is masculine in the same way that the English word "guys" is; as in it's acceptable to call either a mixed group or even an all female group "guys."

However some female Chinese players complained the use of the word was sexist and it was changed shortly after. Now some of the male players are angry it was changed. (Note that I'm not making any judgments about who is right or wrong here; just stating the facts as I know them.)

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Hard to come up with a topic I would be less qualified to comment on than sexism in another language, so I should probably just leave that alone. It's the tactic of review-bombing I can't stand. It was the Steam advertisement that showed me the "forgotten parachute" video when 1.0 was released that made me look at the store page originally, but it was the reviews that actually made me buy the game. After the second review, I was convinced. They were so overwhelmingly positive, and made the game sound so great, that I just had to try it. Dollar for dollar, I consider it to be one of the best purchases I've ever made. Without the reviews though, I may never have tried something that looked sort of goofy. That's true power, and I think we all rely on the honest opinions of other gamers. Even though we don't all agree, we're honest with one another and it matters.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

The problem with the game, if there ever was one, is being/has been addressed. Now can we PLEASE leave this unpleasant controversy on another forum on that other forum? 

Closing yet another thread before the sexism arguments begin.