The Moderation Nation Space Program

TheKosmonaut

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/5/2020 at 5:32 AM, Kerballing (Got Dunked On) said:

Oh god, it's February? HOW--WHERE DID JANUARY GO!

straight down the tubes. >.< i got nothing done all month!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bill: Bob! Wake up! There's space to be explored! 

Bob: ... zuh? It feels like I've been asleep for around 19 months. I was having this really, really, really long dream about a lack of submarines... 

Bill: Whatever. Space! 

Bob: Okay. Where have we not gone? 

Bill: Looks like Dres is still a void of unknowns. Probe time? 

Bob: Probe time! 

Bill: Dres is small had hard to hit. We'll need a suitable mission theme, name, and flag. 

Bob: Like this? 

dlWsKVG.png

Bill: Yeah. Which one of us is the engineer? 

Bob: I can never remember. Doesn't matter. Let's jointly design something wastefully large and ungainly. 

Bill: Here you go. 

jizjLDs.png 

Bob: It's away! 

d57DyEs.png 

Now let's take another nap for about a year. 

Bill: Wake up! It's reached Dres and transmitted orbital science readings! Now the lander segment has detached from the orbital relay segment! 

OnUpxyV.png 

Bob: Now there's another big pause! 

Bill: Why? 

Bob: Because we have to wait for the lander to pass a site which is in sunlight for power but still has line-site-to the repeater. 

Bill: Say, didn't we try this a couple of times and have to start over because the antennas did not work as they had in testing? And we got mad and quit for a day? 

Bob: No, you were dreaming. 

Bill: Cool. Anyway, first landing on Dres! 

fMGsJWW.png 

Bob: Drab place, innit? 

Bill: Yeah, that's about as scenic as it gets. And yet, packed to the gills with science! 

Bob: Delicious science! How much did we get? 

Bill: 792.01!

Bob: Sweet! Did the mission pay for itself? 

Bill: We have no idea. It's been so long since we did a mission that we forgot to check for contracts first and didn't keep a total of the world first awards. 

Bob: It probably turned a profit. Either way, totally worth it. 

Bill: Agreed. Now let's hope someone follows up on our success! 

• 3 months later...

Due to gross negligence unfortunate circumstances it appears we have a backlog of tourists waiting to begin their adventure and 6 who are stranded currently enjoying a furlough on the Moderation Nation Observation Station (MNOS). The goal is to complete all active contracts with a single launch which includes returning Nebald to Kerbin, who will serve as mission engineer and we will do some science stuff along the way. :cool:

er3Lq94.png

Mission Profile
Launch to parking orbit
Rendezvous with the MNOS
Transfer crew via Crew Tug
Return Crew Tug to MNOS
Land on the Mun
Land on Minmus
Land on Duna
Land on Ike
Return to Kerbin

The Vessel
Designed to fulfill this mission profile the Dogsbody features 18 seats and will make use of ISRU.
Kn5RZPH.png

An autonomous crew tug is required, it's purpose is to transfer 6 tourists and Nebald from the MNOS to the Dogsbody after which it will return to the MNOS for future operations.
N25UAAl.png

Of course all this will need moar boosters.
BMUHyxf.png

Edited by James Kerman
Grammark

LOW KERBIN OPERATIONS

Lauch to orbit is norminal.

92GcbRR.pngwWTHjqn.pngOSmHuOZ.png

Science from the orbit of Kerbin complete.

NCt0UWM.png

Next it's time to set up an easy rendezvous with the MNOS.
txpwnHA.png

The crew transfer tug heads off to dock, pick up our travelers and return to the Dogsbody. We then un-dock, leaving the Crew Transfer Tug in orbit.

1m8ehmr.png

G9bxpUn.png

SA4pEoP.png

Onward to the Mun!

YNDVd54.png

Edited by James Kerman
Added stuff

The Mun and Minmus

The first design flaws become apparent. Our pilot, Largerdorf, only has one star of experience and The Dogsbody has no reaction wheels other than what is onboard the Mk2 Lander Can. This makes descent quite the experience.
yFROcmv.png

After 3 disasters were avoided by aborting back to ascent our band of travelers finally make it down safe with 300m/s remaining and pose for a quick snap before partially refueling, returning to orbit and making way to Minmus. Further flaws become apparent; the ISRU drills just barely touch the surface but seem to be working okay. Another problem is I seem to have forgotten that I would need more chutes to land the Kerbin return module safely and may need to mount an emergency addition mission before I finally land on Kerbin. Some automated testing back at KSC will be needed.

Pbs677T.png

Once in orbit the 'science from the orbit of Minmus' contract is completed, we land, take the obligatory flag shot and refuel, ready for the next leg to Duna.
I2znUVj.png

jXuhvfT.png

Edited by James Kerman
Grammark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.