TheKosmonaut

The Moderation Nation Space Program

Something a Little More Close to Home

What's with all this fancy-mancy super-dooper pricey interplanetary stuff, eh? We at Deddly Design decided to run a simple mission to show just how much can be accomplished right here on Kerbin, and right on our home turf, too!

pZymjVU.png

Take it nice and slow
50EXvAe.png  uCaAbD0.png

I was going for the VAB but got distracted...

I was disappointed to get no science from the control tower, but was classed as "flying low over Kerbin" :(

u4oS68y.png  rQyB4p0.png

BYkR7of.png  VJedJ5t.png

36fqx2x.png

Oh look, there's a helipad. Perhaps, in retrospect, I should have gone for that one first. :wink:

125 science for almost no money, and I think there's much more to be found nearby.

Good missions!  Running before you can walk is always fun :D

And VTOLing instead of rovering around KSC....  who'd a-thunk?  Bet you can't land on the tracking antennae tho :cool:

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Bet you can't land on the tracking antennae tho :cool:

Hmmmm...

Challenge accepted. 

See you in a few months

Just now, Deddly said:

Hmmmm...

Challenge accepted. 

See you in a few months

Well, I was thinking of that ship you used in the mission, as is.  But it might be possible if you put spidery strutty legs under it, to fit around the lip of the big dishes.  Probably be easier to try to perch on the central spike of the dish.  But that's assuming there's nothing funky about the dishes due to them being moving parts.  I've never tried this myself.

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Bet you can't land on the tracking antennae tho :cool:

Jfe6yX9.png

...and 23 more science

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

...and 23 more science

Very good :) But a real pilot would have landed on the upper edge of the dish :) 

Did you notice anything weird due to the dish being a moving part?

3 hours ago, luizopiloto said:

I won... where is my prize? :P

Virtual beer all around

Successful flight of the Capricorn II, an uncrewed mission bringing additional exploration hardware to our crew on Duna.

Imgur album:  https://imgur.com/a/3y3hQ

4DLfsVx.png

This mission sent a return pod, mining vessel, laboratory, and resource scanner probe to Duna, all in one launch.

Results of mission:

• Funds:
    • Started with 856K funds
    • Ended with 1690K funds
  • Science:
    • Started with 94 science
    • Ended with 874 science
  • Researched:
    • High-power Electrics
    • Specialized Control
  • Miscellaneous accomplishments:
    • First docking in Duna orbit
    • First orbit of Ike
    • Scanned Ike for ore deposits

Capricorn Station now has a return pod, lab, and mining ship.

ApA8OAJ.png

It's all ready for the return of the Capricorn I crew from Duna's surface... but that will have to wait for another mission.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

4DLfsVx.png

Behold! The mighty Kerbal SRB, now with load-bearing capabilities! Tremble in fear before these mighty columns of fire and smoke!

10 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Did you notice anything weird due to the dish being a moving part?

Just a little jiggle from time to time. Nothing terribly odd. It would have been interesting to leave it there and timewarp... I'll have to experiment with that another time, but I have a hunch it will just clip and explode.

9 hours ago, TheKosmonaut said:

Behold! The mighty Kerbal SRB, now with load-bearing capabilities! Tremble in fear before these mighty columns of fire and smoke!

Actually, not all that surprising, if you take a moment to think about the math.

Any rocket is going to have to be able to stand up to a fair amount of load along its longitudinal axis-- specifically, load that's significantly higher than its own weight.  That's because all rockets have to have a TWR significantly > 1 in order to lift off the pad.

A Kickback has an ASL thrust of 593 kN.  Dividing by Kerbin gravity of 9.81 m/s2, that's equivalent to the weight of about 60 tons of rocket.  So, if you're using a Kickback as a load-bearing member, then if you've got less than 60 tons sitting on it, that's actually less stress than it routinely gets on every flight.

In this case, the Capricorn II is 211 tons on the pad.  Sitting on four Kickbacks, that's only about 53 tons each, i.e. less than the Kickbacks' own thrust.

So... not such a surprise that they can take it, and really not #lolsokerbal at all.  Kind of like saying, "Behold, my mighty leg bones!  Capable of withstanding my weight without shattering, when I'm just standing perfectly still and not putting any other stresses on them!"  :P

(And yes, I know that there are other subtleties of construction IRL, and that (for example) just because a rocket can take that stress via its thrust chamber doesn't necessarily mean it can take that stress sitting on the rim of its nozzle, and so forth.  Pick me no nits.)

10 hours ago, TheKosmonaut said:

That is a glorious beast!  But I'm curious, did you run into any problems jettisoning those boosters?

Edited by Just Jim

29 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

But I'm curious, did you run into any problems jettisoning those boosters?

Nope, no problem at all.  Went like clockwork.

DxwWvGR.png

I'm curious why you ask?  It's a pretty straightforward "jettison radial booster" situation.  Things that mitigate the risk of collision with the central stack after ejection:

• I used the heavy-duty radial decoupler ("Hydraulic Detachment Manifold"), which has a fair amount of ejection force.
  • These are Kickbacks, which have a really long burn time.  By the time they burn out, my altitude is pretty darn high (don't remember exactly), so aero forces are virtually negligible and there's nothing slamming them into the center stack.
  • It's a well-executed gravity turn; basically just "pitch to 20 degrees away from vertical upon takeoff, set SAS to hold :prograde: and hands off the controls except for throttle."  So, since the craft is pointing perfectly :prograde: with no maneuvering going on, that means there's really nothing for the ejected boosters to do, really, other than drift lazily perfectly backwards relative to the ship.

In general, in KSP I've hardly ever had any problems with any ejected radial boosters colliding with my ship.  My experience has been that folks who have problems are usually doing something like "not always flying :prograde: all the way up", or "failing to attach their boosters as low on the radial decoupler as they can", or something like that.  Stick to prograde, attach the boosters low on the decouplers, and there's never a problem.

35 minutes ago, Snark said:

I'm curious why you ask? 

It's just every now and then when I launch something that big I run into problems with the boosters colliding with the big side tanks, but it looks like you have enough clearance.

Edited by Just Jim