The Moderation Nation Space Program

TheKosmonaut

On 8/19/2020 at 3:14 AM, Vanamonde said:

Insufficient pre-flight testing? Amateurs! 

You'll be happy to know that in testing the Dogsbody has a 100% chance of landing back home. Kerbals that math estimate a 75% failure rate.
EWNQGTw.png

While awaiting the transfer window to Duna The Crew Tug is returned to the MNOS for future use.
PO3o9hT.png

We burn for Duna and perform a mid course correction to bring us close to the atmosphere.

c7bL8Ie.png

GGZnkmI.png

Once the 'Science from Duna's orbit' is complete a de-orbit burn is followed by a power assisted chute landing. We land safely and the 'Science from Duna's Surface' contract is fulfilled, the Dogsbody is refueled, returned to orbit and sent on it's way to Ike.

XQGMT9T.png

SJrHU41.png

c4VJ2iE.png

gbYaTdO.png

The Magnetometer module is released once in orbit of Ike and we land and refuel, ready for the home stretch.
sBWuqto.png

6bxZdFv.png

zLSj9WF.jpg

It5yi3f.jpg

0xmAdqk.jpg

WyF4lUA.jpg

IcSi2cz.jpg

nqtdF8D.jpg

Da4ShTK.jpg

u3NoMDM.jpg

Td2Hvem.jpg

cwPZA38.jpg

WJDjcNw.jpg

Spoiler

UlPzXCe.jpg

180.5 hours of actual mission time, not including all the many hours it took to design all the craft that were used, planning and calculating, and writing the reports in comic format. Phew!

Thanks for watching, and thanks for your patience :)

22 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Wasn't there supposed to be a submarine on that? 

Indeed

Oh wow, I just realised this single mission, from initial planning to the final report, took me over two Earth years to complete. 

Slightly longer than anticipated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Once in Ike's orbit, Largerdorf's entangled pair and Nebald realize there is a problem. :mad:

yx2LsL1.png

The burn for Kerbin has a problem - I left the fuel cells running and by the time I realized we only have enough propellant to make an eccentric orbit around Kerbin. :mad:

bBxOm0o.png

SjEYMFi.png

A landing module is built and docked to the Dogsbody carrying Alnard, a one star engineer and there is a problem. I realize I have not enabled crossfeed on the decouplers that hold the engines. :mad: For the whole mission. :mad:

Mo7PqdA.png

G8QBVLI.png

wt1DiAD.png

5xX7bas.png

EDL is surprisingly free of complications and our crew and tourists are finally safe home.

3kaeP0f.png

esIaqgf.png

AtStPTB.png

And we are done. 

Nz1cz3c.png

• 2 weeks later...

Bill: I saw somebody worked out all of the bugs for a ship that can place relays around the whole Jool system with a single launch, so I sent 5 box tops in and got the plans! 

Bob: Good. We need relays out there for... in case we get around to sending missions to Jool. Or something. 

Bill: Critical indeed. So let's build the thing. 

Q1aBElC.png 

Bob: It's been about a year and we have a transit window. Time flies, eh? 

Bill: It's been three more years already and it's time to aerobrake into orbit. 

UQJfKai.png 

Bob: Release the probes! 

DHjcLz4.png 

Bill: Wow. This orbit kind of sucks for placing probes in moon orbits. Inclination is high and the peri/apo axis is whonky. Maybe we should have done more planning. Or asked one of those glory hound pilots for help. 

Bob: Stuff and nonsense! All we need to do is cut a probe lose and keep checking every orbit for any moons it might be able to reach. 

Bill: Won't that take ridiculous amounts of time? 

Bob: You got something better to do? 

B2jRIJS.png 

Bill: Hey, it's working! Sort-of! 

u1XQZPe.png 

boKEOJA.png 

FUgtHW7.png

qFDUL0x.png 

Bill: Now the probes can not only remain there and serve as relays for future missions, but also transmit orbital science back through the mothership. 

ychbCDb.png 

Bob: Neat. What did we get? 

Bill: About $1.1mn profit from world first contracts, 6,250 science, and +2% reputation! 

Bob: Yay! We can now invent everything there was left to be invented and still have 6000 science points left over! 

Bill: Yay! 

Mission report:

TvmUuf7.png

Cool contract available: land AND splash on Laythe

ToqK7bG.png

The rocket on the launch pad

4uAqaEJ.png

Liftoff!

w9T7zuz.png

Gravity turn

1ShiNNZ.png

Staging

3DeZcpY.png

Space, here we come!

Fdcou3s.png

Revealing the payload: two identical probes, with large heat shields. They'll be very useful in the end.

UQgBuBl.png

Circularizing

UQzuygX.png

Jettisoning the second stage

yzOLMzX.png

Sepratrons send the second stage back into the atmosphere, no further Kessler syndrome

BFGLwm6.png

Now we plan our Jool transfer

2ezCFRp.png

And we burn! Now I start noticing that I might be short on Δv... and the fact that Δv readings from stock indicator and from KER are vastly different doesn't help...

LBF1YXb.png

Well' I'll find a way.

TTz57rM.png

Inclination adjustment

SH4Oio1.png

Jool in sight

A9FDTzr.png

Now we perform a Tylo gravity assist to stay in Jool orbit without wasting any fuel

ditUcWN.png

Tylo approach...

Z2ee80K.png

... and the gravity assist worked as planned!

v24NYKy.png

Now, to spare some Δv we release the first probe so that it aerobrakes and lands on Laythe 

q9vLh1D.png

Tuning the Laythe periapsis...

zsjWJle.png

... and releasing the first probe

KJ28dbv.png

Now, the main ship uses a litttle fuel to adjust the Laythe encounter and lower the Jool apoapsis.

tz69cwZ.png

The first probe enters Laythe's atmosphere

wolUZJE.png

Parachute opens

eGzfRjK.png

And the first part of the contract is done!

io0SBB3.png

Now the main craft has another Laythe encounter. We're running on fumes, so the plan must change: the transfer stage was supposed to stay in Laythe orbit to act as relay, but we definitely can't afford it now. So we'll dive into the atmosphere, and let the transfer stage burn.

FclRZEU.png

Problem is, the second probe must land on solid ground, and there's not much of it on Laythe.

vyBYx63.png

The super-secret F5F9 supercomputer at KSC computes a correction burn that will land the second probe on the ground.

hjjXrqz.png

The entry is very steep, and the large heat shield proves very useful.

ODIwo09.png

... and the probe survived!

yNNDv7U.png

... almost there...

fN8A6s8.png

... and touchdown!

Oh128kJ.png

Sending science home

4EaD8nA.png

Beauty shot. Mission complete!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.